British Speedway Forum
Greg

Kings Lynn 2019

2 hours ago, Baldyman said:

I've always found it strange that a big win in speedway is often seen as boring, but in football or rugby and many team sports a big win is seen different. 

When we were in the 2nd tier we had some very good meetings with us getting 60+ scores. Even when we beat Sheffield 75-15 there were some good racing.

There's no reason a 60+ score couldn't be more entertaining than a 45 all draw.

I tend to find that the higher margin results have better racing with home rider's having to come from the back, where close results more often than not tend to be FTG, with the exception of meetings at Belle Vue. 

5 hours ago, Bald Bloke said:

The difference being no top back up for Lambo. Imho, it will be a big mistake..NKI was good away as his average proves. Then add Kasper (2.55) on a 4.00. Then if lewis signs, his scores before he got injured averaged 7.58 home 3.87 away. I wish him well, but it's a big gamble for me.

It's just my opinion Baggy. I hope i'm wrong. I will be the first one to put my hands up :)

It’s going to take somebody to step up to Puk’s role from last year but he had a quiet season by his standards and we still finished a very comfortable top so that gap isn’t such a big one to bridge. It just shows how solid the other five below him were and there is no reason why they can’t do it again. 

There aren’t too many superstar heatleaders around so none of our riders should be frightened of riding at five in 2019, I’d imagine either Proctor or Riss will go there. I don’t see too much for them to be frightened of in heat 13 of any meeting to be honest. 

I could be wrong too of course but I think we’ll be a handful wherever we go next season.

5 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

It’s going to take somebody to step up to Puk’s role from last year but he had a quiet season by his standards and we still finished a very comfortable top so that gap isn’t such a big one to bridge. It just shows how solid the other five below him were and there is no reason why they can’t do it again. 

There aren’t too many superstar heatleaders around so none of our riders should be frightened of riding at five in 2019, I’d imagine either Proctor or Riss will go there. I don’t see too much for them to be frightened of in heat 13 of any meeting to be honest. 

I could be wrong too of course but I think we’ll be a handful wherever we go next season.

You could be right Bagpuss, but looking at all the sides assembled in my opinion this side looks the weakest.If Puk had/ or does?? comeback fitter/ better  then yes i could share your optimism because Puk on song would make Lynn have a formidable top two.The pressure is really on Lambert everyweek to produce any blip and most weeks certainly away you will come away with nothing.Proctor(high average), Kerr( bad injuries) Andersen are the three big question marks for me but you do make a good point this league is nothing to be scared of.

We looked the weakest last year sid, and that prediction included Puk averaging 9 or so and he fell way short of that. That means everyone else stood up to cover him and more besides, we were a team way stronger than the sum of its parts and but for injuries we almost certainly would have won the title.

I appreciate that people give honest opinions on the strength of all seven teams but when people look at Lynn it’s almost as if they are ignoring what was achieved in 2018. We finished top with a bit of daylight with a misfiring second heat leader and a fairly limited number seven. Replacing those two with Kasper and Lewis certainly makes us weaker but the whole league is weaker and I just can’t see the nucleus of last years side dropping from top to bottom. More likely to be somewhere in the middle. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

We looked the weakest last year sid, and that prediction included Puk averaging 9 or so and he fell way short of that. That means everyone else stood up to cover him and more besides, we were a team way stronger than the sum of its parts and but for injuries we almost certainly would have won the title.

I appreciate that people give honest opinions on the strength of all seven teams but when people look at Lynn it’s almost as if they are ignoring what was achieved in 2018. We finished top with a bit of daylight with a misfiring second heat leader and a fairly limited number seven. Replacing those two with Kasper and Lewis certainly makes us weaker but the whole league is weaker and I just can’t see the nucleus of last years side dropping from top to bottom. More likely to be somewhere in the middle. 

It's not a case of ignoring 2018 at all. Yes PUK had a poor year average wise he still regularly delivered when it mattered in heats 13 and 15.

From the start to the end of the season Iversen and Lambert pretty much swapped averages. 

The gains came from Proctor adding over a point. Realistically, could he do that again? Of course but unlikely. 

Jorgensen's average stood still in 2018

People are saying MPT is a must but his average was also stagnant from when he signed, this including time at reserve.

Riss average stayed the same in his short period with the team but I do expect his average to rise being with us from the start of the 2019 season.

Andersen can't be any worse than his less than 3 average but I can't see an improvement on his assessed 4.

Kerr won't improve much but is consistently good to excellent at home which is most important, especially in a meeting over 2 legs. I think Kerr in both finals was missed more than Toft.

--------------------------

Apart from Riss, I just don't see where the improvement is going to come from? With the predicted line-up there certainly isn't any back-up for Lambert in heat 13 & 15 compared to other 1-7's. The back end of meetings are hugely vital in securing results.

Yes we did finish top of the table, but there was no hope of that happening until Andersen, Kerr, Garrity were all replaced.

With the predicted 1-7, like the first half of 2018, we will flop again.

It isn't a solid team throughout, to many weak spots.

Kerr's fitness is in question.

Andersen is an uncertainty. 

MPT only any real quality at reserve.

Proctor, Riss and Jorgensen are no 2nd heatleader. 

Any way you try to look at the predicted team it does come out looking extremely poor to other 1-7's. We have to hope other teams injuries are worse than ours to get anywhere I'm afraid to say.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

It's not a case of ignoring 2018 at all. Yes PUK had a poor year average wise he still regularly delivered when it mattered in heats 13 and 15.

From the start to the end of the season Iversen and Lambert pretty much swapped averages. 

The gains came from Proctor adding over a point. Realistically, could he do that again? Of course but unlikely. 

Jorgensen's average stood still in 2018

People are saying MPT is a must but his average was also stagnant from when he signed, this including time at reserve.

Riss average stayed the same in his short period with the team but I do expect his average to rise being with us from the start of the 2019 season.

Andersen can't be any worse than his less than 3 average but I can't see an improvement on his assessed 4.

Kerr won't improve much but is consistently good to excellent at home which is most important, especially in a meeting over 2 legs. I think Kerr in both finals was missed more than Toft.

--------------------------

Apart from Riss, I just don't see where the improvement is going to come from? With the predicted line-up there certainly isn't any back-up for Lambert in heat 13 & 15 compared to other 1-7's. The back end of meetings are hugely vital in securing results.

Yes we did finish top of the table, but there was no hope of that happening until Andersen, Kerr, Garrity were all replaced.

With the predicted 1-7, like the first half of 2018, we will flop again.

It isn't a solid team throughout, to many weak spots.

Kerr's fitness is in question.

Andersen is an uncertainty. 

MPT only any real quality at reserve.

Proctor, Riss and Jorgensen are no 2nd heatleader. 

Any way you try to look at the predicted team it does come out looking extremely poor to other 1-7's. We have to hope other teams injuries are worse than ours to get anywhere I'm afraid to say.

Last season Lambert raised his  level brilliantly and at home dropped very few points he will do well to maintain that away he can still improve.After the changes the side did click and they had a great run and for me Simon Lambert's points at home often gets forgotten as he was not expected to score much.Lambert/Puk in heats  13/15 were decent so that combination will be a huge loss but my main worry would be Proctor improving on his 6.67 average.Other sides have Swindon Musielak 6.52.  Ellis 6.42. Wolves Morris 6.60. Belle Vue S.Worrall 6.32. Poole Kurtz 7.05 Holder 7.39 do those riders have more scope to improve.??

I think that all seven could improve to varying degrees. They won’t all do so but if two or three can (most likely Riss, Andersen and Lambert) we will be ok. 

I could well be completely wrong of course and will come on here and say so if I am. Just don’t see us struggling though unless injuries bite hard. 

Doesn't count for much but I think all the riders who are and we think will race for the Stars are capable of upping their averages... 

9 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

I think that all seven could improve to varying degrees. They won’t all do so but if two or three can (most likely Riss, Andersen and Lambert) we will be ok. 

I could well be completely wrong of course and will come on here and say so if I am. Just don’t see us struggling though unless injuries bite hard. 

Understand your optimism but man for man, our predicted side isn't comparable. 

Can only see us battling for the Wooden Spoon

20190205_133238 (wecompress.com).jpg

Yes,  we my have finished  top of the league but many things fell our way.   The most telling factor was  Kerr and Andersen got injured and were fortunate with  excellent replacements.   We must also remember that other teams suffered terribly with injuries  which made our results look real good.   We also had the advantage of playing weaker sides ( Belle Vue)  when their star men were missing.   All factors that will not happen every year.    We had waited years for our chance of success but even then we blew it big time.

Without doubt our (projected) team will be the weakest by some margin and any other outlook is pure optimism.     

26 minutes ago, g13webb said:

Yes,  we my have finished  top of the league but many things fell our way.   The most telling factor was  Kerr and Andersen got injured and were fortunate with  excellent replacements.   We must also remember that other teams suffered terribly with injuries  which made our results look real good.   We also had the advantage of playing weaker sides ( Belle Vue)  when their star men were missing.   All factors that will not happen every year.    We had waited years for our chance of success but even then we blew it big time.

Without doubt our (projected) team will be the weakest by some margin and any other outlook is pure optimism.     

I know you will probably take this the wrong way as you don't really like my opinion if it differs to yours but,you say we were fortunate with our injuries/replacements and facing teams with terrible injuries which made our results look good.Really only Belle Vue spring to mind and Wolves with Schlein missing,but then the other teams had to face these in the league with the same riders missing.It normally balances itself out in that respect.So as you say we were fortunate because of that.Doesn't that then make us unfortunate to lose the final because of the same that happened to us,but you say we blew it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, g13webb said:

Yes,  we my have finished  top of the league but many things fell our way.   The most telling factor was  Kerr and Andersen got injured and were fortunate with  excellent replacements.  

but if those "excellent replacements" are in the team this year, then they're poor .. not getting your logic, sorry

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, stevehone said:

but if those "excellent replacements" are in the team this year, then they're poor .. not getting your logic, sorry

The logic is they were excellent (i.e. an improvement) on what we had before in 2018. Now these rider's will be alongside those they replaced in 2018 thus making the whole makeup of the side very very poor.

Makes perfect sense. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

The logic is they were excellent (i.e. an improvement) on what we had before in 2018. Now these rider's will be alongside those they replaced in 2018 thus making the whole makeup of the side very very poor.

Makes perfect sense. 

Do you think Andersen will be alongside S.Lambert?I don't.

I don't see a lot of improvement in this season's (anticipated) side and don't see us challenging at all, which is very disappointing after last season.

Robert would have to go great guns to put a big increase on his average again. Went from 7.38 to 9.13. Sure he'll be between 9.00 to 9.50 but he won't have a lot of support this year. Despite Niels having a poor season by his standards, they still chalked up several match winning 5-1's.

Ty put 1.17 on his average last season (5.50 to 6.67) and I can't see him doing that again, in fact would be surprised if he even matched his average with having to be 2nd heat leader. Thomas only added 0.12 (5.93 to 6.05). MPT's average actually dropped by 0.21 (5.57 to 5.36) despite some headline performances.

Lewis added 0.44 (5.06 to 5.50) and will do well at reserve, especially at home. Kasper was nowhere near his 4.00 average despite there obviously being some talent there as shown with some of his performances for Sheffield.

Erik came in on 6.10 and finished on 6.08. Became very good at the AFA but his away performances tailed off after a promising start.

I could maybe see increases for Robert, Thomas, Erik and maybe MPT but that would be about it and certainly not by a point or so, more like the odd 0.10/0.20. I see Lewis probably being in around the same but think he'll struggle in the main body of team away from home. Be surprised if Kasper reaches over 4.00 and think Ty's will fall if no one else steps up into the second heat leader role.

To me, the side looks like the cheap, easy option. Would love to be proved wrong but expecting a battle to avoid the wooden spoon. I actually like all the riders, I just don't like the balance of the team and think we'll really be lacking in heats 13 & 15. Might get away with it at home but see some right hammerings on the road.

At £18 a meeting. I'll be picking and choosing my matches from now on rather than being the die hard I once considered myself.

Edited by Speedball
  • Like 4