British Speedway Forum
Greg

Kings Lynn 2019

8 minutes ago, Star Lady said:

Doesn't explain why they did two "big" announcements in one day:P

Maybe they didn't consider one of them to be that 'big' or unexpected??;)

Edited by Skidder1
  • Haha 1

Unless the rules have changed Kerr won't be at reserve. In past years the 2.5% reduction has only applied in determining declared seven, not riding order.

2 hours ago, Star Lady said:

Doesn't explain why they did two "big" announcements in one day:P

Nail. Head. Hit.

All this talk of maximising exposure yet they name a rider and a team sponsor at the same time. That's two good news stories that would get good coverage but one will get less coverage than the other.

That will probably the sponsor story as more people would be interested in the team.  If you were a sponsor, you'd want maximum exposure for your £ rather than being relegated to a sub-story.

This is just basics :blink:

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, Speedball said:

Nail. Head. Hit.

All this talk of maximising exposure yet they name a rider and a team sponsor at the same time. That's two good news stories that would get good coverage but one will get less coverage than the other.

That will probably the sponsor story as more people would be interested in the team.  If you were a sponsor, you'd want maximum exposure for your £ rather than being relegated to a sub-story.

This is just basics :blink:

Agreed, they could have announced the full team before now, unless there may be a team change, and had each rider and sponsor put out a report, one a week or fortnight so there was continue news about the team.

Information about each rider, his history and thoughts and hopes about the new season would have kept up some interest.   

• Like 2

I make it 22 weeks from the start of November until the first week in April before the first meeting of the 2019 season. That's plenty of time to get at least 30 decent news stories into the local media.

I'm no comms expert but came up with this in 15 minutes, took me longer to type it out than think of it. If this was my job, it should be even easier.

Now I'm sure some of this has been done but to be honest, the whole build up to this season has been so non-existent, speedway has hardly featured in my thoughts (and that off the back of a decent season). Might be off on some dates/timings but this is back of the fag packet stuff on a dull afternoon at work :D

Not all of this is for the media but for things such as social media, keeping fans engaged and wanting more.

Week 1: Determined to build on disappointment of last season, defiant message, we'll be back blah blah

Week 2: Build up to the conference

Week 3: Conference news, team manager thoughts, confirm pricing, season tickets etc. Ex-Young Stars and our assets getting rides in the Championship

Week 4: Many team building options, looking at different riders blah blah. Hope to have signing news soon

Week 5: Announce rider 1, thank Tru7 group for their sponsorship. Looking for new team sponsors/appeal to businesses to get involved etc etc

Week 6: Announce rider 2

Week 7: Just before Xmas, push season tickets, merchandise etc as last minute gifts. Christmas present for fans with announcing rider 3

Week 8/9: Christmas period so lots of other stuff, taking people's attention. Do short sharp stuff. 12 days of Xmas (great old riders, race highlights, famous meetings, build up to announcing rider 4)

Week 10: Announce rider 4,

Week 11: Update from either rider 1, 2 or 3 on pre-season prep. Built up about training camps, equipment builds, hopes for the season. Ex-Young Star Josh Bailey being in Australia (future Star etc)

Week 12: Announce rider 5. Have video footage from training camp (showing one or all of the 5 announced riders rather than p*****g most fans off by saying the team was there but we won't tell you who it is yet)

Week 13: Update from rider 1, 2, 3 or 4 (not same one from Week 11) with the same kind of pre-season update.

Week 14 (this week): Announce new team sponsor giving them full coverage for that week

Week 15: Announce riders 6+7 (maybe reserve duo). All team announced and done now. Details of a fans forum/meet the team night before start of the season

Week 16: Training camp update showing all the riders present

Week 17: Team manager thoughts on pre-season prep. Got the team I really wanted, looking at team riding order, partners blah blah

Week 18: New team logo with new sponsor, hint at racesuit design (if having them)

Week 19: Announce team & vice captain/team bonding session update

Week 20: Final pre-season round up, start to build the local derby meetings. We've been top dogs in East Anglia last few seasons etc etc, want that to continue (all good natured stuff but get people talking)

Week 21: Press practice, fans and sponsors meet the team evening and then coverage and sound bites after the event

Week 22: Build up to first meeting

Tie in things like competitions for maybe a season ticket in conjunction with local media (KLFM, Free Paper, Lynn News) and should get you plenty of coverage. Team announced by mid Feb. Plenty of build up, bit of variety but mainly a speedway story of some sort every week from the end of the season to the start of the next.

Edited by Speedball
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Speedball you are far too intelligent and well qualified to be media consultant for Lynn speedway:D

Enjoy your footie ground hopping and occasional speedway outing:)

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Star Lady said:

Speedball you are far too intelligent and well qualified to be media consultant for Lynn speedway:D

Enjoy your footie ground hopping and occasional speedway outing:)

Haha, I don’t know about the first bit. There really is nothing earth shattering there. It’s all basic stuff that takes hardly any thought. But there on lies the issue, there is very little thought to speedway fans in general. All the media stuff, just like the promoters is like an old boys club, controlled by the same faces giving the same rubbish to fans across up and down the country. How many times did we see cut and pasted tweets across clubs twitter feeds for live updates. Just embarrassing and amateurish. Most club websites look like they are from the 1990’s.

Speedway in this country is dying on its arse and they are helping drive in the nails. The only club’s who do it well are Glasgow and the IOW in my eyes.

Edited by Speedball
  • Like 3

See Auty still not got a prem team cant believe he as not been snapped up yet on a average of 4.60 he is a gift at reserve  would up that average no dout

1 hour ago, Speedball said:

I make it 22 weeks from the start of November until the first week in April before the first meeting of the 2019 season. That's plenty of time to get at least 30 decent news stories into the local media.

I'm no comms expert but came up with this in 15 minutes, took me longer to type it out than think of it. If this was my job, it should be even easier.

Now I'm sure some of this has been done but to be honest, the whole build up to this season has been so non-existent, speedway has hardly featured in my thoughts (and that off the back of a decent season). Might be off on some dates/timings but this is back of the fag packet stuff on a dull afternoon at work :D

Not all of this is for the media but for things such as social media, keeping fans engaged and wanting more.

Week 1: Determined to build on disappointment of last season, defiant message, we'll be back blah blah

Week 3: Conference news, team manager thoughts, confirm pricing, season tickets etc. Ex-Young Stars and our assets getting rides in the Championship

Week 4: Many team building options, looking at different riders blah blah. Hope to have signing news soon

Week 5: Announce rider 1, thank Tru7 group for their sponsorship. Looking for new team sponsors/appeal to businesses to get involved etc etc

Week 7: Just before Xmas, push season tickets, merchandise etc as last minute gifts. Christmas present for fans with announcing rider 3

Week 8/9: Christmas period so lots of other stuff, taking people's attention. Do short sharp stuff. 12 days of Xmas (great old riders, race highlights, famous meetings, build up to announcing rider 4)

Week 11: Update from either rider 1, 2 or 3 on pre-season prep. Built up about training camps, equipment builds, hopes for the season. Ex-Young Star Josh Bailey being in Australia (future Star etc)

Week 12: Announce rider 5. Have video footage from training camp (showing one or all of the 5 announced riders rather than p*****g most fans off by saying the team was there but we won't tell you who it is yet)

Week 13: Update from rider 1, 2, 3 or 4 (not same one from Week 11) with the same kind of pre-season update.

Week 14 (this week): Announce new team sponsor giving them full coverage for that week

Week 15: Announce riders 6+7 (maybe reserve duo). All team announced and done now. Details of a fans forum/meet the team night before start of the season

Week 17: Team manager thoughts on pre-season prep. Got the team I really wanted, looking at team riding order, partners blah blah

Week 18: New team logo with new sponsor, hint at racesuit design (if having them)

Week 20: Final pre-season round up, start to build the local derby meetings. We've been top dogs in East Anglia last few seasons etc etc, want that to continue (all good natured stuff but get people talking)

Week 21: Press practice, fans and sponsors meet the team evening and then coverage and sound bites after the event

Tie in things like competitions for maybe a season ticket in conjunction with local media (KLFM, Free Paper, Lynn News) and should get you plenty of coverage. Team announced by mid Feb. Plenty of build up, bit of variety but mainly a speedway story of some sort every week from the end of the season to the start of the next.

Spot on and top post - think you should be working with the promotion 

49 minutes ago, Haza said:

Agree top post,   but have to disagree with the second part,  someone with so many positive thoughts  would not fit in promoting  Speedway...  :wink:  

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Speedball said:

Great post,love a bit of news each week to keep most interested.

I can't believe though,some don't like the idea of spreading the announcement of riders as the club have done this season,but actually like yours when spread over 10 weeks.Some really are fickle:rolleyes:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Speedball said:

You've got the job, when can you start!

4 hours ago, Haza said:

Amazing !.......Speedballs suggestion sounds great however let me get this right,  he is suggesting at week 15 we announce the last two team members, week 15 is as far as I can see is mid to late February, which has not happened yet, with four riders already announced it is likely that by the end of February we will know the full 1 to 7, more or less in line with Speedballs timescale, this is exactly what KL is being continually critisised for, but is now being praised........by the same people !

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Bert said:

Amazing !.......Speedballs suggestion sounds great however let me get this right,  he is suggesting at week 15 we announce the last two team members, week 15 is as far as I can see is mid to late February, which has not happened yet, with four riders already announced it is likely that by the end of February we will know the full 1 to 7, more or less in line with Speedballs timescale, this is exactly what KL is being continually critisised for, but is now being praised........by the same people !

Not by me it isn't. No team should go into February without the full 1-7 known.

It's a nonsense situation 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Bert said:

Amazing.!    that there are always those who want to create situations.     If you are referring to me then say so...     Although I've never been in favour of drip feeding the team,  I liked Speedball's post because it keeps the fans in the picture, informing them of EVERYTHING that is going on.  If a team was to adapt his  idea we would be  up to pace on everything that was evolving and also, of when, if ,  any announcement would be made.    

The biggest problem I have at the moment ,   is that any announcement made are based on the  benefits of the club,   not  primarily for the interest of the fans.   We go weeks  sometimes months and don't hear a thing, then we get two in a day.    That cant be right........

If they want to drip feed information, then show a program of the event set out,  so every one is aware of when these announcement will be made. 

Years ago, when  Crane and Littlechild was at the helm, the fans were always up to scratch with every facet of the sport, and all we had then was the local rag,   Now,  even with all the modern technology we are told nothing...    

I don't apologise how I feel or what my opinions are,    but Speedball's suggestion would be brilliant....