British Speedway Forum
Greg

Kings Lynn 2019

7 minutes ago, Trees said:

Don't buy the Star but just read online that he says there are no hard feelings and if he's needed just call him and he will see what he can do :D Thanks Niels :D

You pretending to be speedway nut but don't have the S/S really surprises me.    Leads me to think your only interested in the Stars and not the bigger picture.    

You disappoint me …..:nono:        I always gave you more substance then that...…...

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Daniel Smith said:

Anyone read the Speedway Star and Iversen's column yet?!?

Same old same old,  nothing new there..     NKI just saying he wants more time off as he's getting older but would help Lynn out if or when needed.     Strange he drops Lynn from his schedule, but says very little about signing for a new club in Sweden.   (Money talks the loudest)

Also in the S/S is stated that Riss is expected to be unveiled tomorrow.....

16 minutes ago, g13webb said:

You pretending to be speedway nut but don't have the S/S really surprises me.    Leads me to think your only interested in the Stars and not the bigger picture.    

You disappoint me …..:nono:        I always gave you more substance then that...…...

You do come out with some odd stuff.....Trees is as big a speedway nut as there is but like many people she doesn’t read the Star, probably because it’s overpriced for what it is and the majority of stuff in it you can read on the internet either before or shortly after its published. Plus there is a lot of filling in there of little interest IMO. 

I expect Niels has a Swedish team lined up and I would never expect a rider to pick the UK over Sweden. 

1 hour ago, Bagpuss said:

Sidney, you are missing the point, not for the first time in this thread. Nobody is saying that the speedway in the UK isn’t in big trouble or that King’s Lynn have made a good job of this. People keep asking WHY they have spread out the announcement of riders through to March and what the point is, and we are trying to explain why the club are doing it.  Robin Brundle is doing this as a marketing/media strategy, it’s been thought through, not just done on a whim. For the benefit of people who don’t go on speedway forums every day through the winter and whose attention the club is trying to grab during the off season. They are trying something different. 

As Ive said I don’t think it’s been done particularly well and could have been carried out much better with a structure and without such big gaps between news as that has annoyed regular fans too. So hopefully they will do it better next year. But whether you agree with it or not it’s pretty clear WHY they have tried it this way and what the point is, and it’s frustrating that people keep asking the question. 

Mr Brundle is a different animal to Mr Chapman, one would like to think that he will listen to and act upon feedback on this matter and others too. 

I havent missed the point, but with the the way that your team has been announced it  shows us one of the reason's  why speedway in this Country is in such a mess.Bagpuss you knew the team anyway, but do you honestly believe somebody reading in a local newspaper that Eric Riss is signing is going to make a huge difference.? On the other hand if your club had a huge signing to announce. Ie) a Drabik or a Smektala that approach would have been  spot on and understandable and created a wow factor just saying.!!

11 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

You do come out with some odd stuff.....Trees is as big a speedway nut as there is but like many people she doesn’t read the Star, probably because it’s overpriced for what it is and the majority of stuff in it you can read on the internet either before or shortly after its published. Plus there is a lot of filling in there of little interest IMO. 

I expect Niels has a Swedish team lined up and I would never expect a rider to pick the UK over Sweden. 

Not got my SS yet (Postie is a bit late today!) but the article on speedwaygp.com confirms NKI is racing in Poland, Sweden and Denmark.  Also confirms he still lives in UK!!.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

I havent missed the point, but with the the way that your team has been announced it  shows us one of the reason's  why speedway in this Country is in such a mess.Bagpuss you knew the team anyway, but do you honestly believe somebody reading in a local newspaper that Eric Riss is signing is going to make a huge difference.? On the other hand if your club had a huge signing to announce. Ie) a Drabik or a Smektala that approach would have been  spot on and understandable and created a wow factor just saying.!!

I think the fact that it’s a very similar team to last year and perceived to be weak doesn’t help, as you say fans like those on here probably wouldn’t have an issue if there were three or four new faves and the team to them looked strong and potentially league winning. 

I still maintain though that to those people who go to speedway at Lynn but switch off from it in the winter it wouldn’t matter if it’s Riss or not, it’s about keeping the club in their thoughts through regular press releases. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Not got my SS yet (Postie is a bit late today!) but the article on speedwaygp.com confirms NKI is racing in Poland, Sweden and Denmark.  Also confirms he still lives in UK!!.

Will that change after Brexit? Genuine question,as I have seen this week that an Italian woman who has lived in the UK for 59 years has had to prove she is allowed to live in the UK.Wonder how it will affect someone who isn't even working in the UK? Confused of Hamburg:unsure:

1 hour ago, Sidney the robin said:

You honestly believe the way King's Lynn's team is being announced is one of the reasons speedway is in such a mess in this country:blink:.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, g13webb said:

Totally confused by your comment.So now you have to buy the SS to be a speedway fanatic.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, tellboy said:

You honestly believe the way King's Lynn's team is being announced is one of the reasons speedway is in such a mess in this country:blink:.

It tells you  alot about how the sport in this Country is percieved Micky Mouse comes to mind .I told my mate about King's Lynn last week and that the  team had not been totally announced .And his response was, the owner is he not the guy who runs British speedway !!!! says it all.

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Thanks 1

Here is an idea for marketing a seasonal business......

Whether you own an ice-cream shop on the Jersey shore, a ski shop in the mountains of Colorado, or a landscaping business in central Minnesota, you’ve experienced the challenges of the dreaded off-season. After your peak season ends, a stretch of slow business begins, and your website and store front become ghost towns. Plus, who's to say this season's customers will remember you when the next season rolls around? It's a bummer of a thought, to be sure.

But don’t let the seasonal slumps get you down! Instead of sitting around and waiting for your season to start again, use this valuable time for marketing!

Your customers don’t vaporize during the off-season. It’s important to stay in contact with leads and past customers throughout the entire year. Consider social media your virtual, year-round storefront -- because even if your audience isn't chillin' outside your store or visiting your website, they are certainly perusing their social media feeds! That means your business should consider leveraging Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, the whoooole shebang to stay top of mind year-round.

Generate Off-Season Hype

Just because people can't snowshoe in the summer, or you have a smaller audience looking to wear your trendy sun hats in the dead of winter, doesn't mean you can't get people excited about your business

Tried and tested methods for various industries or ask Sid and his mate what you should do?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

It tells you  alot about how the sport in this Country is percieved Micky Mouse comes to mind .I told my mate about King's Lynn last week and that the  team had not been totally announced .And his response was, the owner is he not the guy who runs British speedway !!!! says it all.

Yes Buster is the owner,but i think you will find the naming of the team etc is down to Brundle.I still don't see this as any reason whatsoever for the mess speedway is in this country.

44 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

you miss the point of trying to keep the club in the media with relevant information when needed.

for example, your club Swindon, you have Doyle but i can't remember who else, and all the Swindon attention has turned towards the mess that's been your track and stadium

5 minutes ago, stevehone said:

you miss the point of trying to keep the club in the media with relevant information when needed.

for example, your club Swindon, you have Doyle but i can't remember who else, and all the Swindon attention has turned towards the mess that's been your track and stadium

One of the problems I have with the long drawn out naming is the effect on potential sponsors and therefore the riders.

Now I realise that Riss et al can go to companies and get sponsorship but they would have to say don't tell anyone I'm riding for Lynn until the second week in March. I need some dosh/goods now to get ready for the start of the season  but you can't say anything yet. I'm not sure how that benefits the company cos THEY then lose out on some weeks of publicity and media exposure. At least that's how I see it. Maybe if I'm wrong someone connected to a rider/ex-rider could tell me how it works.

I appreciate the need to have weekly press releases but anyone with a modicum of intelligence could do that without the ridiculous scenario we have this year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tellboy said:

Totally confused by your comment.So now you have to buy the SS to be a speedway fanatic.

No not at all,   you don't have to DO anything to be a fanatic.    But if you were that interested and keen, that  your whole life revolved around it , I would have thought reading about others clubs, other matches,  other riders,   other countries,   it would be essential to purchase the S/S   just to keep up to scratch.....  

But then again we all think differently..... 

• Like 1