British Speedway Forum
Greg

Kings Lynn 2019

7 minutes ago, Mimmo said:

I always find the SS an excellent and enjoyable read, even though you can find a lot of details on the internet before it's published.  Same can be said for Newspapers, Ladies magazines such as Hello, almost any type of magazine in fact.

The reality is though that Newspaper and Magazine sales are dropping off,sometimes at an alarming rate now due to competition from the internet.Same as cd sales have fallen.All generally available quicker and cheaper on the internet.Speedway Star is no exception ,but falling crowds obviously play a part in that as well

https://www.statista.com/statistics/288836/hello-magazine-circulation-trend-uk/

17 minutes ago, iris123 said:

The reality is though that Newspaper and Magazine sales are dropping off,sometimes at an alarming rate now due to competition from the internet.Same as cd sales have fallen.All generally available quicker and cheaper on the internet.Speedway Star is no exception ,but falling crowds obviously play a part in that as well

https://www.statista.com/statistics/288836/hello-magazine-circulation-trend-uk/

Yes, I do realise that.

44 minutes ago, Mimmo said:

I always find the SS an excellent and enjoyable read, even though you can find a lot of details on the internet before it's published.  Same can be said for Newspapers, Ladies magazines such as Hello, almost any type of magazine in fact.
Someone said in an earlier posting that they thought it was overpriced (I think that is what was said, but apologise if it wasn't) at £3, but in comparison with anything you purchase off the book/paper shelf in your newsagent or supermarket, it's par for the course.

If we want to talk about things being overpriced, then that has to be speedway programmes surely.  Speedway Star at £3 has got to be far greater value for money than a Speedway Programme at £3.  Most clubs programmes have a page written or ghost written by more than one of its management team, all saying the same thing about that you've already read on the internet, to quote other posters on here.  You have a Supporters Club Page that is the same every meeting, with the exception of a few lines.  You have Rider Profiles that are generally lifted from the British Speedway Website. You have Guest writers who contribute their thoughts on various matters, some current, some talking about things that happened 30+ years ago, and so it goes on.  They do provide excellent photos from people like Phil Hilton, Steve Hone, Derek Leader and many others, but so does the Speedway Star. 

So the 2019 line-up has finally been confirmed, which I can see some people are happy with, whilst others are not, but that's human nature, and I'd be surprised if any club in the country could say that every last one of its supporters is happy with their named line-up, although Berwick seem to be an exception to that rule usually.
Am I happy with our line-up for this season....yes.  I would like to have seen a new face to support Robert, but it obviously wasn't meant to be, so the curent side will get my 100% support.     

If they really wanted to do something different where programs are concerned is create Kings Lynn speedway app charge say £25 for 12 months subscription in the app have match day race card home and possibly away meetings and be able to fill the race card in and this is possible as there used to be a SGP race card app , also sections on supporters club latetest news and interviews even maybe press conference live section so fans who can’t stay after meetings can see the press conference, to be honest this sort of app would appeal younger fans more than the older ones so still print a programme as well . 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Haza said:

If we want to talk about things being overpriced, then that has to be speedway programmes surely.  Speedway Star at £3 has got to be far greater value for money than a Speedway Programme at £3

I have produced my own photocopied scoresheet for several years now ( it's even sponsored ) and even factoring in the cost of the biro ink used to write in the rider's names it costs very, very little. Vastly better and more up to date than an insert for a long-ago rained off meeting.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, waytogo28 said:

I have produced my own photocopied scoresheet for several years now ( it's even sponsored ) and even factoring in the cost of the biro ink used to write in the rider's names it costs very, very little. Vastly better and more up to date than an insert for a long-ago rained off meeting.

Can’t fault you at all - but an app for a smart phone would definitely appeal to the young fans and most there phone doesn’t leave there side so you’ve constantly got up to date news with notifications settings maybe could even do live updates from away meetings there is so much more that could be done with a app than a paper copy program. 

You are right - but _ I have yet to master the smartphone I bought at Christmas 2017. Way to smart for me! You are definitely right though for the new young fans ( when UK speedway finds them ).  New technology does not seem to have much appeal for today's promoters - except for faster and faster machines that can not be safely used on UK tracks. Back to the drawing board in that respect.

• Like 2

Surprising that no club in the UK has developed an app yet, as has been said it would be far more appealing to the younger audience and engage them. There is still a market for programmes but an app alongside is long overdue. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Surprising that no club in the UK has developed an app yet, as has been said it would be far more appealing to the younger audience and engage them. There is still a market for programmes but an app alongside is long overdue. 

does that show how speedway Is poorly marketed I think so

23 minutes ago, ray c said:

does that show how speedway Is poorly marketed I think so

As a young speedway fan. The way to go is a whole speedway GB app with access to all. The internet is about providing access to anything and everything. 

Could have a team specific section for each team but would enable you to watch KL press conference even as a poole fan for example. Also one app which everyone pays 25 for the year would enable a better app. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Oddly enough, I am currently in the process of trying to make such a thing. The hope is it’ll cover all meetings in the UK - getting the rules/regulations/subs into place etc is the tricky bit, but we’re working on it!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, poolebolton said:

As a young speedway fan. The way to go is a whole speedway GB app with access to all. The internet is about providing access to anything and everything. 

Could have a team specific section for each team but would enable you to watch KL press conference even as a poole fan for example. Also one app which everyone pays 25 for the year would enable a better app. 

They could even put one or two race highlights on it where the meeting is filmed.

A few clubs in Poland often show the whole meeting live, clubs here could do that but without advertising it before the meeting so that fans do not attend.

This drip feeding nonsense does nothing as proven here. Riss is confirmed and the team is now complete and the topic of conversation is magazine and newspaper sales :lol:

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, poolebolton said:

I completely agree that to make it work it need buy in from every team. But end users are not going to stump up £25 for an initial download let alone per season. If it is to be successful it needs to be nearer £2.50. Don't forget its greater purpose is to generate a greater buzz for the sport and more paying spectators rather than a profit source in itself.

• Like 1

An app could well be funded by advertisers/sponsors in a similar way to the matchday programme. Apart from fans through the turnstyles, some clubs only get additional income from sponsorship and advertising.

But I don't believe that a speedway app (or apps) is too far away.  Watch this space.

• Like 3

Welcome Erik Riss  :blink:.

No surprise, but a good signing. As he said himself, he needs to improve away, but i'm sure he can up his 6.08 average.