British Speedway Forum
Greg

Kings Lynn 2019

32 minutes ago, jamlad said:

Anytime :t: not a Doctor just not a fool , you really believe the way he throws himself about is ok ? He'll be riding tonight redeeming himself knocking in his usual 15 points and all will be well :rolleyes:

Surely you must be qualified to express such a strong opinion on another human being?  

Maybe you should consider the guy might just be suffering from some form of mental illness.   Let’s hope for their sake that no one in your family ever suffers this kind of condition.

Just when you think the World has moved on you get people like yourself to prove otherwise.

You should have a word with yourself.

Edited by semion
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, jamlad said:

That won't happen he'll be riding at Glasgow tonight being the hero as usual ....he brings it all on himself being an arrogant ar@e , trying to act big and tough, he's not professional enough to make it abroad or in the GP's . Tantrums at tracks then cites he's not well :rolleyes:, he should have been fined for his performance on Sunday at the CLRC just couldn't be arsed , he wasn't ill, once he knew he couldn't ride the track that was it game over  :nono: 

You have no idea of mental health issues and how people react in different ways, sometimes sad and tearful but equally can be irritable and 

Edited by dorothy58
  • Like 4

You would think that if a rider says they have these types of mental issues that there would be a similar situation to  concussion of not being permitted to race until they seek proper medical help and are assessed on there level of illness, especially as Cook withdrew from a meeting siting this as a reason

• Like 5

4 hours ago, jamlad said:

That won't happen he'll be riding at Glasgow tonight being the hero as usual ....he brings it all on himself being an arrogant ar@e , trying to act big and tough, he's not professional enough to make it abroad or in the GP's . Tantrums at tracks then cites he's not well :rolleyes:, he should have been fined for his performance on Sunday at the CLRC just couldn't be arsed , he wasn't ill, once he knew he couldn't ride the track that was it game over  :nono: 

From someone who suffers from anxiety and depression, I can tell you Craig isn't big or tough...….Although he might come across like that sometimes. The mind is a very complex thing, Dr jamlad :nono:

Edited by Bald Bloke
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mrss said:

I hope you never suffer from mental health issues. People like Craig need support not abuse from prats like you.

55 minutes ago, dorothy58 said:

You have no idea of mental health issues and how people react in different ways, sometimes sad and tearful but equally can be irritable and angry. I work in mental health and I hope that you are lucky enough not to experience anxiety/depression, these issues aren't always as a result of circumstances,  they can just happen. 

How the hell would you know what I've suffered with or not suffered with :icon_smile_clown:'s ....If his illness is that bad it should be treat like ScoobyDoo has quoted as concussion and treat accordingly, imagine that all you Glasgow lot be screaming from the rooftops if he missed the playoffs , double standards !!!  He should take a break from racing and sort himself out , lets see if he does that , pulling out of KL as well on Monday how's he magically going to be better for later ?? If you took your head from up his backside you might see more clearly

1 hour ago, jamlad said:

How the hell would you know what I've suffered with or not suffered with :icon_smile_clown:'s ....If his illness is that bad it should be treat like ScoobyDoo has quoted as concussion and treat accordingly, imagine that all you Glasgow lot be screaming from the rooftops if he missed the playoffs , double standards !!!  He should take a break from racing and sort himself out , lets see if he does that , pulling out of KL as well on Monday how's he magically going to be better for later ?? If you took your head from up his backside you might see more clearly

My head is not up his backside, I agree that he should take time out until he is in a better frame of mind, it might be taken out of his hands as his appeal will be soon. Who says that he will magically ride and get a maximum for Glasgow, he is obviously unwell,  but as a self employed rider must feel that he has to try and earn some money for his family. I am as disappointed as any fan that he has pulled out on Sunday and Monday but his health should come first. It hasn't helped the amount of abuse he has been getting over last few weeks. I hope that he will recover and get back to doing what he does best.. racing.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bald Bloke said:

From someone who suffers from anxiety and depression, I can tell you Craig isn't big or tough...….Although he might come across like that sometimes. The mind is a very complex thing, Dr jamlad :nono:

If Cookie is suffering as you say he needs to get help, and he wont get that racing 60 MPH on a bikes with no brakes.     A person's Mental state is a serious issue and has to be treated seriously .  It is not something you switch On and Off 

But why should we, the fans,  be expected to cough up a large sum of admission to watch someone who is not fit for the purpose.. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, g13webb said:

If Cookie is suffering as you say he needs to get help, and he wont get that racing 60 MPH on a bikes with no brakes.     A person's Mental state is a serious issue and has to be treated seriously .  It is not something you switch On and Off 

But why should we, the fans,  be expected to cough up a large sum of admission to watch someone who is not fit for the purpose.. 

No one expects you cough up anything. The choice is yours. If you don't want to go to speedway ,stop at home.

7 minutes ago, g13webb said:

It's no secret that Cookie has a problem. I didn't say that Craig is suffering from anxiety and depression..... There are other mental illnesses.

I never  said either way whether  Craig should ride or not..... That is up to medical professionals to advise him....

I never said if fans should or shouldn't "cough up" to "watch someone who is not fit for purpose".... Strange comment though :blink:

I know mental health is serious......:o

I know it's not something you can switch on or off.........:o

My reply was to jamlad, whose comments I thought was harsh.

38 minutes ago, mrss said:

No one expects you cough up anything. The choice is yours. If you don't want to go to speedway ,stop at home.

I believe you have said that before.   You wouldn't make a very good promotions man, always telling people to stop at home.  :wub:

I take a more pro-active approach and ask the question,  as to why the fans don't go anymore.   When asking them to support a team, with the hope of being successful, but in truth,   when we are fielding riders who are not mentally fit,  we have little chance of that....   

People have no idea what Craig's problems are, what help he might or might not be receiving and how it might or might not affect his ability to race. I suggest it would be better in those circumstances  not to comment on his situation or prognosis but instead to give him as much time and space as he needs to get himself back to a stage where he can return. That might just be days or much longer but when he does return it would be good to see more understanding and support. 

Many, many people suffer from different types of mental illness. It is no different than physical illness,  it is not their fault and there should be no stigma attached to it. The body can only cope with certain degrees of stress and the mind is no different. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, g13webb said:

I believe you have said that before.   You wouldn't make a very good promotions man, always telling people to stop at home.  :wub:

I take a more pro-active approach and ask the question,  as to why the fans don't go anymore.   When asking them to support a team, with the hope of being successful, but in truth,   when we are fielding riders who are not mentally fit,  we have little chance of that....   

Mental health covers many different types of the illness.I would say there a millions of people in the UK with varying forms of mental health problems.Just because Craig has a problem it doesn't mean he has to stop racing.If anyone with any kind of mental health problem was to stop doing what they do there would be many,many more people unemployed that includes speedway riders.

Problem with many people,is that when they hear that someone has a mental problem they think they are a bit crazy.And will do crazy things.

Edited by tellboy
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, tellboy said:

Mental health covers many different types of the illness.I would say there a millions of people in the UK with varying forms of mental health problems.Just because Craig has a problem it doesn't mean he has to stop racing.If anyone with any kind of mental health problem was to stop doing what they do there would be many,many more people unemployed that includes speedway riders.

Problem with many people,is that when they hear that someone has a mental problem they think they are a bit crazy.And will do crazy things.

As others have said - such instability is not something you can turn on and off when you choose ( or go to the tapes ). The decision should be taken out of Craig's hands as he is obviously having mood swings  / inability to control his reactions to stressful situations. Reading what Dale Allitt saw close up is alarming and I am a qualified and experienced counsellor ( I have not of course spoken to Craig on a one to one basis ). But for sure treatment of some kind seems necessary for Craig to avoid further meltdown situations. Just taking a couple of day's off is not going to be effective. Whether this is talking therapy ( which takes considerable time to be effective ) or medication ( which can leave any patient not fit to drive or race motorcycles ) he does need help ASAP. 

• Like 1