British Speedway Forum
Greg

Kings Lynn 2019

He has been banned.  However he appealed.  Until the appeal is heard he won’t serve any ban.  Obviously if the appeal is successful then of course no ban will be necessary.    

Warning, real life. May be a difficult read for some. 

Quite possibly, but it's not as an excuse as some are making out. Craig's issues are real, like mine. 

Just to give an insight, this is where I'm at in terms of illness, depression and anxiety and what Craig could be going through. Just to clarify though, not one case is exactly the same, none are to be placed under one umbrella.

Current illness started from are servere bang to the head in 2016, probably the 4th I've had in my lifetime (coming up to 41yo). 4 times unconscious, fell down stairs at about 10yo.

16yo, again fell down stairs after a blackout.

23yo, I can't remember what happened but supposedly smashed unconscious from being hit with a car door. 

37yo, again can't remember but supposedly blacked out and smashed my head on the bathroom sink and toilet. 

Brief medical history from this point;

• 5 CAT & MRI scans, all clear
  • Numerous counselling (unaffective)
  • Suicide attempts
  • Medication (unaffective when certain cases arise)
  • Severe Fybromyalgia 
  • Anxiety and depression

Currently on long term sick for 3 years since April 2016. Currently, have an awesomely supportive partner but when you've lost long term friends and an unsupportive family so days become very long and lonely. Currently unable to cope with busy areas, never go anywhere alone. Communication is very difficult and frustrating. Can't have full on conversations, just simple yes-no or nodding. Conversation is to much, what I'm thinking and what I can say is not the same. Some days I can't even move, dress myself, shower etc due to excessive pain. Another day I manage 10 mile walks no problem. I just don't know when these days are coming. I've had 3 failed attempts at claiming for help from the 'Department of Work & Pension' for 'Personal Independence Payments'. This pressure to try and survive from day to day is very exhausting. I'm sure now and again you've seen my life frustration spill out on here. That's another thing, because of what you see and read you really are clueless to what that person is going through. There is not 1 simple fix to each and every situation. 

I'm sorry, but for me, counsellors have been and absolute waste of time and money. Medication at most works until something happens. There's also no simple "Just get over it" fix either. 

For Craig, should his mental health stop him from doing what he does best? 100% absolutely not. The world of Speedway, fans, rider's, promoter's etc know Craig's problems. Craig's defence s simple, the opposition prey on his weaknesses and force a reaction knowing they'll get one. This is exactly what happened and Eastbourne. Craig, over that situation would have fallen in to deep depression and regret over it. To get his mind straight again will take time, but 100%, the sport shouldn't take away from him one of the only thing that keeps him saine, racing his bikes. Providing Craig has the strength and ability to race, no way does his mental health make him dangerous.

The only things dangerous are outside influences who know which buttons to push and intentionally push them. The playground bully, these are the kind of people that can be claimed as unstable and should be banned from the sport.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, foreverblue said:

So is this the reason why Cook hasn't been banned yet for his altercation at Eastbourne? 

From Thursdays(5th Sept) Daily Star

"Glasgow star Craig Cook faces a title blow if he loses his appeal against a ban.

The GB skipper was freed to carry on riding after refusing to accept a 12 day suspension for his part in a brawl at Eastbourne last month.

If he looses his appeal tomorrow week his ban could be increased, forcing him out of the end of season play offs"

So I take it it's next Friday ?

6 minutes ago, Bald Bloke said:

From Thursdays(5th Sept) Daily Star

"Glasgow star Craig Cook faces a title blow if he loses his appeal against a ban.

The GB skipper was freed to carry on riding after refusing to accept a 12 day suspension for his part in a brawl at Eastbourne last month.

If he looses his appeal tomorrow week his ban could be increased, forcing him out of the end of season play offs"

So I take it it's next Friday ?

Oh I see well I have never liked him but maybe that is because I didn't understand his issues, having lost a friend to suicide I am not totally blind to his problems and how they can affect you and how dark some days can get. I hope he is able to get the support he needs and while I am not condoning his actions at Eastbourne  I think on reflection his appeal should be successful.

Good to see Craig back on track tonight at Berwick and doing what he does best. 9 from 3 rides so far. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Aces51 said:

Good to see Craig back on track tonight at Berwick and doing what he does best. 9 from 3 rides so far. 

Yes, very happy to see he's back on his bike and doing the biz :)

I think poor Robert has come back way to soon. In the GP it was like watching a different person. 

He's was looking so tentative last night. Clearly the back injury has been such a shock as to how close his life would have come to changing. 

Throttling off when others were close, in a few heats he was as quick if not quicker but just wasn't interested in making a move.

Fingers crossed that this isn't the moment when we see such a local hero's potential to be one of the world's best takes a back seat and he ends up just going through the motions here on in like so many before him. 

52 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

I think poor Robert has come back way to soon. In the GP it was like watching a different person. 

He's was looking so tentative last night. Clearly the back injury has been such a shock as to how close his life would have come to changing. 

Throttling off when others were close, in a few heats he was as quick if not quicker but just wasn't interested in making a move.

Fingers crossed that this isn't the moment when we see such a local hero's potential to be one of the world's best takes a back seat and he ends up just going through the motions here on in like so many before him. 

Don't think he was that bad personally probably still getting over his injury. 

Edited by foreverblue

You would imagine he’s a little tentative due to still suffering some pain and bring a little low on confidence, certainly backed out of one or two situations. Pretty sure he’ll come back as strong as ever next season, needs a restful winter to fully recover. 

22 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

You would imagine he’s a little tentative due to still suffering some pain and bring a little low on confidence, certainly backed out of one or two situations. Pretty sure he’ll come back as strong as ever next season, needs a restful winter to fully recover. 

As you say he needs to just get the season over and done with, the injury 100% better and go again next year. It's his spine, he doesn't want to risk another fall, gp racing is all about risk taking, racing on the edge, he can't do that this year.

31 minutes ago, Trees said:

gp racing is all about risk taking, racing on the edge, he can't do that this year.

Not quite true, every fan of clubs, countries and individual events expect riders to give their all at all times. Speedway racing is all about putting everything on the line, even their own lives. Same as any motor sport. 

If you're not prepared to die to win you may as well quit the sport as you'd be racing as a fraud, ripping off the paying the public, not doing yourself justice to try and make a decent living.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Not quite true, every fan of clubs, countries and individual events expect riders to give their all at all times. Speedway racing is all about putting everything on the line, even their own lives. Same as any motor sport. 

If you're not prepared to die to win you may as well quit the sport as you'd be racing as a fraud, ripping off the paying the public, not doing yourself justice to try and make a decent living.

Ridiculous statement. You got to be in a race to win it. You can’t do that if you dead, and at that point you just a memory to the fans, and memories fade.

The “trick” is to win as many races as possible by putting in as much effort as possible but staying on the bike.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daniel Smith said:

Every time they go out on track they are in danger ......

3 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

Riders take a risk every time they take to the track. And the riders know that..... But there is not one rider that goes out in a race prepared to die to make that pass! If they all rode like you suggest they should, there wouldn't be many riders left walking.

I thought that Robert performed the only pass - worthy of the name ( ie after the first half lap ) in the GP. Bring on a permanent wildcard for 2020!