British Speedway Forum
Greg

Kings Lynn 2019

2 hours ago, bigcatdiary said:

To be fair I think their is good argument for a minimum of 5 to be applied for all new foreign riders.

I totally agree with you, particularly for any newcomers.

Even those who have failed to reach the 4 or 5 assessed average they should only be allowed back on their assessed average.

• Like 1

So people say a big change to the team who would be your 1-7 ? 

2 hours ago, Greg said:

So people say a big change to the team who would be your 1-7 ? 

Not my job, but Lynn have to many riders that ride the AFA well, but are poor away.

Not picking on one rider, there are several like it. Heres an example....

TJ has a GSA of 6.41... His home average for 2019 is 7.71 ….  his away average is 3.78

Charles Wright has a GSA of 6.58 …. Home average is for 2019  is 7.13 …. His away average  6.38. He goes ok at Lynn.

I'm pretty sure Charles woud average 6+ home and away for the Stars. We need a few riders like that imho.

The Stars need riders like that if they are serious about trying to win something. You have to grab points on the road.

Spot on. After having comfortably the best away record last year we now have the worst, riders like Proctor and Jorgensen unfortunately fell off the cliff edge with their away form but they weren’t the only ones, collectively we haven’t been good enough on the road and even adding Cook did little to improve things. 

I would keep Lambert, MPT and Riss for definite then build round that. Wright is a great shout for second heat leader and Nicol & Pickering seem to appeal to several people to inject some freshness into the side. Maybe Jordan Stewart? Or somebody completely new to the UK, plenty of talented riders who competed in the Under 21 competitions this year. 

• Thanks 1

I don't think the home grippy track  does Lynn any favours in the long run.  The Stars team appear to revel in the difficult conditions and therefore have a big home advantage  But that probably gives a false impression of their averages.    When faced with normal tracks the differences between our riders and those they are racing,   gives a  more reliable indication of our strength, so infact, we are not so strong as we seem to think and the riders averages are actually a hindrance when trying to assembly a team for next year.  

I agree that we should keep the obvious 3,   of RL, MPT and ER and build from there, taking in consideration of how they perform on normal tracks rather than grippy ones....

• Thanks 1

You will no doubt be in the queue behind Peterborough for riders next season!

49 minutes ago, g13webb said:

I don't think the home grippy track  does Lynn any favours in the long run

If Buster says it does, then of course it does Mr Webb. He is totally confident and spends hours getting it that way for every match. And as he is only buying one more new club during the winter, he will have a bit of time to consider what is best for the Stars in 2020.

Not sure what Lynn’s track is like makes too much difference really, it certainly didn’t last season when we finished well clear at the top of the table. The team is full of experienced riders who have been round the block and have and do ride all sorts of tracks in our leagues and others. I just think collectively the whole team has dropped a level this year, maybe they overachieved last season. If you say for the sake of argument that from last year Cook replaced Iversen, Kerr replaced Proctor and Porsing replaced Lambert then on paper it doesn’t look too much different in terms of strength but I bet every single rider has been worse this season than themselves or their equivalent from last season. It’s easy to get into a habit away from home as a speedway team, last year it was a winning one whereas this year from the opening night hiding at the Foxhole it’s been a pattern of disappointment. It needs to be rectified for 2020. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Spot on. After having comfortably the best away record last year we now have the worst, riders like Proctor and Jorgensen unfortunately fell off the cliff edge with their away form but they weren’t the only ones, collectively we haven’t been good enough on the road and even adding Cook did little to improve things. 

I would keep Lambert, MPT and Riss for definite then build round that. Wright is a great shout for second heat leader and Nicol & Pickering seem to appeal to several people to inject some freshness into the side. Maybe Jordan Stewart? Or somebody completely new to the UK, plenty of talented riders who competed in the Under 21 competitions this year. 

What no Cookie on your list! I honestly believe if you got Cookie next year and if he can get his head sorted out, I truthfully  think he would end up NO1. We forget his career at speedway is still relatively short. When Cookie is in the groove he is so quick   

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, sommelier said:

What no Cookie on your list! I honestly believe if you got Cookie next year and if he can get his head sorted out, I truthfully  think he would end up NO1. We forget his career at speedway is still relatively short. When Cookie is in the groove he is so quick   

Undecided about him, my main concern is how top heavy we’d be with him and Lambert. If the correct balance could be achieved with both then probably a yes. 

Baggy, question for you ( or any other Lynn fan).

Do you think not having Dale at the helm has had an effect on the team this season ?  Or do Team Managers not really bring that much to the party.

4 minutes ago, semion said:

Do you think not having Dale at the helm has had an effect on the team this season ?  Or do Team Managers not really bring that much to the party.

Tell that to Middlo,   I think a good Team Manager is worth his weight in gold..   To find a good one is more difficult than finding Rocking horse Dung.   They are that rare.     

Ex riders are usually a good choice for managers, having been there and done it , but there's no guarantee.       Having been there, they can talk shop with the riders and will understand the their problems  better..   it all very well being friendly and blowing sunshine up their arses,   but nothing can replace the experience  they gained when they  were riding... 

I once posted on this  forum,  when Rob Lyons packed up,  saying Olly Allen would be an ideal choice for  Team Manager.   but as usual I was cried down.        Now it seems other people are thinking the same way as now  he has  landed the top job .    Good luck to him...     Be interesting to see how he gets on...  :t:

1 hour ago, semion said:

Impossible to say really, you would imagine it didn’t help but only those in the thick of the pits action could possibly know. I think the right team manager can motivate riders and squeeze extra out of a team just as Rob Lyon used to, people questioned last year if Dale could do the same and results would suggest he did but who knows. 

Still miss the days of Pride of the East to bring the curtain down on the current season. Could be done early October, throw in a few riders we want to look at for 2020, maybe change format to that of SGP to keep riders interest up through the meeting. 

Kind of fizzled out too early this year and a long winter ahead

• Like 2

7 hours ago, kelvinht said:

Still miss the days of Pride of the East to bring the curtain down on the current season. Could be done early October, throw in a few riders we want to look at for 2020, maybe change format to that of SGP to keep riders interest up through the meeting. 

Kind of fizzled out too early this year and a long winter ahead

They'd do it if the fans would 100% turn out for it but we don't :(