Jump to content
British Speedway Forum

Recommended Posts

On 10/11/2018 at 12:24 PM, tellboy said:

Hopefully all clubs will get together for the good of British Speedway altogether.

AND make decisions based on " the bigger picture" so that an upswing in the fortunes of UK speedway can begin. Wonderful though it is ( and it is for me ) Tai Woffinden as a Triple World Champion is not going to put bums on seats at tracks all over the country. We have to improve the product, enhance the excitement it offers AND let the world know where we are, in the biggest way the promoters can afford.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, waytogo28 said:

AND make decisions based on " the bigger picture" so that an upswing in the fortunes of UK speedway can begin. Wonderful though it is ( and it is for me ) Tai Woffinden as a Triple World Champion is not going to put bums on seats at tracks all over the country. We have to improve the product, enhance the excitement it offers AND let the world know where we are, in the biggest way the promoters can afford.

That might entail Buster asking Andy Meredith for advice on how to prepare a track to provide entertaining racing. I can't see it happening though. :D

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, waytogo28 said:

AND make decisions based on " the bigger picture" so that an upswing in the fortunes of UK speedway can begin. Wonderful though it is ( and it is for me ) Tai Woffinden as a Triple World Champion is not going to put bums on seats at tracks all over the country. We have to improve the product, enhance the excitement it offers AND let the world know where we are, in the biggest way the promoters can afford.

I'm beginning to wonder if the light has started to dawn on the speedway authorities at long last, 'cos I've just come across this on a lesser visited forum on this site: THE PATHFINDER REPORT AND RECOMMENDATIONS 2018". The report has the feel about it that suggests it may have been commissioned by someone with authority within speedway. It identifies all the major challenges facing the sport in the UK, contains a detailed analysis of speedway's current assets, and makes recommendations as to the way forward in 2019 (which all look eminently do-able.) 

It makes some astute observations about where UK speedway is letting itself down as a marketable product and gives some really practical signposts as to how it might improve its marketing potential. 

Overall it contains some radical and controversial suggestions but my view is that it reads like a breath of fresh air. If someone in the higher echelons has really started to think along these lines then our sport may yet even manage to drag itself into the 21st century. 

One thing's for certain: if the powers-that-be stick to the 2018 formula in 2019 (as some have suggested), we are all down the pan.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lambert,Iversen,Riss,MPT i would have back,all depends on averages of course.

Even though Iversen has had a poor season you can't let him leave on such a low average.

S.Lambert too hasn't let the side down or himself but unsure whether he could sustain that level for a season.

Regarding Jorgensen and Proctor,they have both had a good season but as per normal you are going to have to get get rid of 2-3 riders.That's the reason i have gone for the 4 i have,they represent the best value for the club imo.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, tellboy said:

Lambert,Iversen,Riss,MPT i would have back,all depends on averages of course.

Even though Iversen has had a poor season you can't let him leave on such a low average.

S.Lambert too hasn't let the side down or himself but unsure whether he could sustain that level for a season.

Regarding Jorgensen and Proctor,they have both had a good season but as per normal you are going to have to get get rid of 2-3 riders.That's the reason i have gone for the 4 i have,they represent the best value for the club imo.

 

Agree, but you might have to lose MPT too as Kerr is a cert for 2019.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/14/2018 at 1:29 PM, Aces51 said:

That might entail Buster asking Andy Meredith for advice on how to prepare a track to provide entertaining racing. I can't see it happening though. :D

That means Buster is very likely satisfied with the crowd levels for 2018 when the track provided anything but entertaining racing. Averaging around 1,000 seems to be just what the doctor ordered for KLS then. If that is seen as "OK" then there is little hope for a revival of any kind for UK speedway. Sort of let's settle for what we have got. And pray that fewer walk away than usual.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am surprised you would want Iversen back after the playoff farce. The most important night in the history of KL and he accepts a meeting in Poland !! Cost you the championship.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't see that we will hold on to Iversen AND Lambert (R) under the 2019 likely team / league setup. I just hope that we don't have Lambert (S) unless the overall averages are much lower and there is one league ( or a watered down "top" league ). I have been very disappointed with his efforts in 2018 in the Premier League.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/14/2018 at 2:45 PM, 4thbender said:

I'm beginning to wonder if the light has started to dawn on the speedway authorities at long last, 'cos I've just come across this on a lesser visited forum on this site: THE PATHFINDER REPORT AND RECOMMENDATIONS 2018". The report has the feel about it that suggests it may have been commissioned by someone with authority within speedway. 

 

It was written by a well meaning fan but lacks data to base the assumptions for growth. i.e. “do this at this at x cost and you will get this y return based on the current z situation“

But some good observations made. Just not as comprehensive as the sport needs 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/14/2018 at 9:45 PM, 4thbender said:

I'm beginning to wonder if the light has started to dawn on the speedway authorities at long last, 'cos I've just come across this on a lesser visited forum on this site: THE PATHFINDER REPORT AND RECOMMENDATIONS 2018". The report has the feel about it that suggests it may have been commissioned by someone with authority within speedway. It identifies all the major challenges facing the sport in the UK, contains a detailed analysis of speedway's current assets, and makes recommendations as to the way forward in 2019 (which all look eminently do-able.) 

It makes some astute observations about where UK speedway is letting itself down as a marketable product and gives some really practical signposts as to how it might improve its marketing potential. 

Overall it contains some radical and controversial suggestions but my view is that it reads like a breath of fresh air. If someone in the higher echelons has really started to think along these lines then our sport may yet even manage to drag itself into the 21st century. 

One thing's for certain: if the powers-that-be stick to the 2018 formula in 2019 (as some have suggested), we are all down the pan.

 

Tbh i thought it read like an essay someone had churned out for a school project. I sincerely hope noone paid for it.

It reccomended a marketing strategy imo at least a decade out of date, albeit that representing an improvement on status quo.

And contradicted itself by stressing the importance of improving skills by racing atvthe highest level, then recommending further dilution of the top flight strength. How that would help the likes of Lambert and Bewley I have no idea. 

And the idea of removing both guest and r/r facilities in case of injuries. Going to be great for crowds when a visiting number 1 Is replaced by a NL reserve...

Edited by waiheke1
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, johnno4 said:

I am surprised you would want Iversen back after the playoff farce. The most important night in the history of KL and he accepts a meeting in Poland !! Cost you the championship.

I'm sure Iversen had not intended to get injured at the Gollob meeting the day before the playoffs, although you could question the wisdom of competing in benefit meeting the day before the clubs most important week in recent years.  That said if KL intend to run their home fixtures on a Wednesday night again in 2019, I would question the value of any Danes in their 1-7.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/14/2018 at 2:45 PM, 4thbender said:

I'm beginning to wonder if the light has started to dawn on the speedway authorities at long last, 'cos I've just come across this on a lesser visited forum on this site: THE PATHFINDER REPORT AND RECOMMENDATIONS 2018". The report has the feel about it that suggests it may have been commissioned by someone with authority within speedway. It identifies all the major challenges facing the sport in the UK, contains a detailed analysis of speedway's current assets, and makes recommendations as to the way forward in 2019 (which all look eminently do-able.) 

It makes some astute observations about where UK speedway is letting itself down as a marketable product and gives some really practical signposts as to how it might improve its marketing potential. 

Overall it contains some radical and controversial suggestions but my view is that it reads like a breath of fresh air. If someone in the higher echelons has really started to think along these lines then our sport may yet even manage to drag itself into the 21st century. 

One thing's for certain: if the powers-that-be stick to the 2018 formula in 2019 (as some have suggested), we are all down the pan.

 

At least there's an attempt at thinking through fixes for the sport but far to many holes and contradiction in the plan.

British Speedway needs to start over from scratch. Two tiers of league racing. 

______________

All rider's in British Speedway to be given Championship level averages 

Championship 38 team average 

Premiership 55 team average 

This allows GP / Top international rider's to still be employed by Premiership teams.

Any rider's sign to Polish contracts will not be allowed to compete at Championship level.

_________________

Reserves in the championship must be 2 NL rider's, 23 and under.

Premiership, one NL rider at reserve 23 and under.

_____________

Championship, two rider's over 7 average only and must contain 4 British riders per team (including the NL reserves).

Premiership 3 over 7, one of which must be British. 3 rider's (including the NL reserve) must be British.

________________

That would be my starting point of rebuilding British Speedway. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

At least there's an attempt at thinking through fixes for the sport but far to many holes and contradiction in the plan.

British Speedway needs to start over from scratch. Two tiers of league racing. 

______________

All rider's in British Speedway to be given Championship level averages 

Championship 38 team average 

Premiership 55 team average 

This allows GP / Top international rider's to still be employed by Premiership teams.

Any rider's sign to Polish contracts will not be allowed to compete at Championship level.

_________________

Reserves in the championship must be 2 NL rider's, 23 and under.

Premiership, one NL rider at reserve 23 and under.

_____________

Championship, two rider's over 7 average only and must contain 4 British riders per team (including the NL reserves).

Premiership 3 over 7, one of which must be British. 3 rider's (including the NL reserve) must be British.

________________

That would be my starting point of rebuilding British Speedway. 

 

Surely the Premiership has to change? not anough teams or meeting's.Not sure about two league's though the NL has to stay put some really good ideas though with Brits at the forefront.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/15/2018 at 7:00 PM, johnno4 said:

I am surprised you would want Iversen back after the playoff farce. The most important night in the history of KL and he accepts a meeting in Poland !! Cost you the championship.

I’d have rode in the Tomasz Gollob meeting. The guy at his best was breathtaking. He is as iconic as any of the names in history. The guy was so skilful on a bike. Barry Briggs and terry Betts were at lynn 1 day and randomly walking around the stadium talking to fans as they did, and Barry spoke to me of his admiration of Gollob and how in his mind he’s one of the greats. This wasn’t just any riders benefit meeting. It was an icons.

 

why are we talking of building to championship level averages again. There is no daft draft system to make that necessary, infact the championship should be built to the premiership converted averages and then halved so the conversion rate is 50% like it was in the early 2000s pl build to 45 (averages including Bonus points) cl built to 22.5. That would lessen the double ups because no rider with a pl average over 6 would be worth considering there would also be more emphasis on signing a good nl rider to come in on a 1.00 average. It sounds complicated but it’s really not and organically the system would return to pl and cl averages after a season.

you would end up with affordable teams in the cl. And any that want the big riders would need to step up

 

Edited by Danny Connor
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy