British Speedway Forum

So here is my bold prediction who ever signs dan Gilkes {probably Kent } or The thompson twins [probably Brum ]  Will battle it out to win the League all that is required is another half decent 3 pointer and there Laughing ..

So my question is should Dan Gilkes come in on a 3.00 average or not ?

Should The Twins ? 

Yes why not  every other new rider has come in on a 3 

• Like 2

Bring them in on a 3.00, it’s the only objective way, but give the assessed average riders an average after 4 meetings in ALL competitions! So they’re not hitting massive scores at reserve for a third of the season. 

• Like 4

thompson twins will be in a leicester side if there is any sort of n.l. next year.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Islander15 said:

Bring them in on a 3.00, it’s the only objective way, but give the assessed average riders an average after 4 meetings in ALL competitions! So they’re not hitting massive scores at reserve for a third of the season. 

Normally I would agree, but as it looks possible Kent will have a power reserve for the first time, can we hold off this sensible rule until 2020..... please ;)

Lol, in seriousness I think the KO Cup should Deffo count as all teams compete in it, National Trophy should also count subject to say 80 percent of the league compete in it.

16 hours ago, Islander15 said:

Sounds a good idea, certainly for the Bewleys, Kemp, Flints etc but the vast majority of 3 point riders are not of that pedigree, reassessing their average after 4 cup matches etc could mean that a 3 point rider who meets weak reserves home & away in the cup & a couple of home meetings then gets a high average & then finds himself stuck at number 2 being totally outclassed until the new averages come out a third of the way into the season, not good for his confidence.  I think things are fine as they are, if a team is lucky enough to get a Kemp they will be in the play offs whatever.

3 hours ago, GWC said:

Kent have applied to run on Saturdays next season.

I heard a rumour Kent would run as a championship side next year but after seeing Len has said Ledwith will be part of his team next season that now looks exactly what it was... a rumour

Sorry, just read the Kent Laurels thread where this was covered

Edited by Wiseguy

I think its essential to have a NL for many years to come, its where the likes of Woffy cut his teeth and learnt about being organised, travelling etc, not just about racing. You can't just throw the majority of youngsters into the Championship nowadays, they need this league to progress. There's been a lot of great racing in this league and I hope it continues.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2018 at 5:38 PM, The Dog said:

I think its essential to have a NL for many years to come, its where the likes of Woffy cut his teeth and learnt about being organised, travelling etc, not just about racing. You can't just throw the majority of youngsters into the Championship nowadays, they need this league to progress. There's been a lot of great racing in this league and I hope it continues.

I fully agree.There are loads of fans who take a lot of pleasure from seeing new young riders progress. It is also more unpredictable.  I watch nowadays ( not every week)

at both Eastbourne and Kent and for the most part the racing at both tracks has been top drawer. I hope the promoters have learned their lesson and will vote fo a

higher average. I think 39 was a disaster, and judging from comments on this forum, I am not alone in thinking that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, East End Fan said:

I fully agree.There are loads of fans who take a lot of pleasure from seeing new young riders progress. It is also more unpredictable.  I watch nowadays ( not every week)

at both Eastbourne and Kent and for the most part the racing at both tracks has been top drawer. I hope the promoters have learned their lesson and will vote fo a

higher average. I think 39 was a disaster, and judging from comments on this forum, I am not alone in thinking that.

42 points is what it should be.

• Like 1

lots of ' ifs & buts' until the agm but one thing for me is the trophy. i think the previous year there were only 3 teams in the south and 4 in the north section but having no semis this year meant that the south section was practically decided after a 4 day spell with mildenhall's wins over i.o.w. and plymouth away and then kent at home . i've never heard and read the terms 'dead rubber' , 'meaningless fixture ' and 'nothing meeting' so many times in any sport ever as i did this year. there's got to be semis for me. 

Eastbourne still need to arrange a 2 play off semis, and 3 league matches in mid October. Others have 3 or 4 meetings left, don't think adding semis is the greatest idea.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, teaboy279 said:

Eastbourne still need to arrange a 2 play off semis, and 3 league matches in mid October. Others have 3 or 4 meetings left, don't think adding semis is the greatest idea.....

Trouble with the Trophy is that you see the same team time and again. Take Eastbourne/Kent (just as an example): challenge match to open up, Trophy, NL and we always seem to face each other in the cup.

Would be much better for attendances if we saw Kent in the league and cup (maybe) + perhaps a challenge early on but frankly something else would well suit me.

A bigger league and we could kick the Trophy to the sidelines or maybe leave for those teams that do not make the Play Offs.

• Like 1