British Speedway Forum

Are Kent going to Saturday evenings?

And is this dependant on an extended curfew?

I would go if Kent showed some ambition and went up to the Championship,but I think it will be Brum and Eagles.

Edited by blueherb777

Think Kent are one of the best supported teams in speedway, if they could get rid of the curfew & run  on a Saturday, we would def go ,( at the moment I would not go on the chance of seeing half a meeting 

Think Kent are one of the best supported teams in speedway, if they could get rid of the curfew & run  on a Saturday, we would def go ,( at the moment I would not go on the chance of seeing half a meeting 

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see how many clubs are in the NL next season. Two will be lost to the championship. Coventry look doubtful and Mildenhall are up for sale. It could be the lowest number for a few years.

2 hours ago, cityrebel said:

It will be interesting to see how many clubs are in the NL next season. Two will be lost to the championship. Coventry look doubtful and Mildenhall are up for sale. It could be the lowest number for a few years.

Think that Buxton must be considering their options after a very trying season and may also be non-starters next season.

It will be a real challenge for Kent to have weekly meetings and construct a varied fixture list.

23 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Seems unlikely there will be a Leicester or Coventry in the NL with the main team moving to Saturdays. Can see Plymouth being the other side to move up along with Brum as i can't see Eastbournes crowd numbers being enough, Kent have switched to sat nights and are likely to take a chunk of lakeside/Rye House support anyway to make up for those who won't attend as much. 

Would be nice if a team (maybe Cov) could get into Peterborough at the weekends now they have been vacated ? 

Can't see Plymouth moving up, crowd support too small, will be lucky to run at all I think at the moment :-(.....fingers crossed we do but will be with a struggle

Surely to help the costs for clubs like Buxton and Stoke the league could be made into a Used tyre league? That way riders can’t be offered silly deals with tyres costing the clubs extra money? I know barry, Jayne are a member on here what’re your thoughts on that guys? Just a suggestion to help the smaller clubs against the bigger ones like Kent Birmingham and Eastbourne 

1 hour ago, arnieg said:

Think that Buxton must be considering their options after a very trying season and may also be non-starters next season.

It will be a real challenge for Kent to have weekly meetings and construct a varied fixture list.

Totally agree Arnie.

I think whoever misses out going to the Championship from Brum,eagles and Kent are really left with not a lot.

38 minutes ago, TurnTwo said:

Surely to help the costs for clubs like Buxton and Stoke the league could be made into a Used tyre league? That way riders can’t be offered silly deals with tyres costing the clubs extra money? I know barry, Jayne are a member on here what’re your thoughts on that guys? Just a suggestion to help the smaller clubs against the bigger ones like Kent Birmingham and Eastbourne 

Whilst a sensible suggestion in principle it would be much harder to implement than it seems. Current tyres just dont last that long and finding used usable tyres is far harder than it has been in the past. Then there would be the squabbling over who gets the better of the used tyres and of course those who just buy new, knock the edges off and then run them.

To get tyres lasting longer the compound needs to be harder but not to the point that the tread just rips out in lumps and more dirt needs to be put on tracks so the grip is there no matter the tyre tread. 

1 hour ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Whilst a sensible suggestion in principle it would be much harder to implement than it seems. Current tyres just dont last that long and finding used usable tyres is far harder than it has been in the past. Then there would be the squabbling over who gets the better of the used tyres and of course those who just buy new, knock the edges off and then run them.

To get tyres lasting longer the compound needs to be harder but not to the point that the tread just rips out in lumps and more dirt needs to be put on tracks so the grip is there no matter the tyre tread. 

I’m sure “golden tyre” made a speedway tyre,but believe they got banned for what ever reason.They did last longer..

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, bigred said:

I’m sure “golden tyre” made a speedway tyre,but believe they got banned for what ever reason.They did last longer..

There are 3 or 4 other tyre suppliers out there but standard UK rules say MITAS only, we do like a monopoly in speedway. Allowing alternatives would create competition and bring prices down, that and the BSPA not taking a cut of every tyre sold would also help.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TurnTwo said:

It has been suggested at previous AGM's but doesn't get off the ground due to 'health and safety'.

Given that the Premier and Championship leagues (Promoters) recognize the National League as a training league, I am surprised that they have never included the NL Promoters in their AGM's. The Development Leagues are the lower echelon of speedway and are the real feeder route into the sport. The NL suffers from the fact that riders who improve their averages provide a dilemma for the promoters as they cannot all be included in the following years points averages at this level. Given that the higher leagues seem to prefer to give opportunities to foreign riders then it will remain that very few NL riders will have lengthy careers. There is a need for a joined-up route for youngsters towards the upper echelons of the game. Some of the promoters need to put the riders careers ahead of their own financial gains with a view to creating strength-in-depth with British riders. In the long term supporters, in general, go to watch particular riders and would prefer to see their favourites rising through the leagues rather than dropping out because their averages do no fit. I am not advocating a free for all approach as again just a few clubs would be capable of purchasing the best riders, yet on the other side of the coin then there is something in respect of a Control Body placing riders in teams.

• Like 1