British Speedway Forum

6 hours ago, Argos said:

That is a quote off the BSPA President Alex Harkess  

:rofl:

Has he got a valid train ticket.:oops:

• Like 1

For once in speedway I think a promotion has got it right. Kent have persevered with their riders throughout the seasons past regardless. Other than injuries or riders wishes, a seven rider declared team starts and progresses through the season as a TEAM. Now I gather that the foresight is to build a team of English youngsters that can be gelled into a Championship team and when that occurs look to go up a league. Seven English lads working together and staying together can be nothing but good. I have for years wondered why promoters in this country have never done their best to elevate their own into the world of super-stardom rather than buying-in foreigners. Win, lose or draw, most supporters go week in, week out, to see a regular septet of riders and this may be why Kent currently have a sound supporter base and why they may also follow a team of youngsters up into a higher division.

Part of that is having Len Silver as promoter. Len has always been loyal to his riders, some would say too loyal. However it does give fans the opportunity to bond with their team, something that has been lacking in modern speedway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lee has responded to a few fans tweets and is not ruling out stepping up a league he is just saying nothing has been decided yet for sure contrary to reports. It would appear that Harkness has put his foot in it a little and maybe the british speedway press release should not of mentioned that two NL clubs were stepping up just at this moment in time.

Although it does not help clubs at all selling or pricing up season tickets if they dont know how many fixtures there selling particularly with them making great xmas gifts etc .. 

Edited by ProudtobeaBrummie

There has to be an element of interests of the sport coming into play alongside interests of the clubs. The Championship has 10 teams confirmed at present and 12 with 2 x NL sides. The National league has 3 confident teams in Kent, IOW & Belle Vue then Stoke & Buxton likely but with constant question marks hanging over them and that's it, 5 whole teams. 

Without Coventry, Mildenhall & Plymouth in the league and two moving up it would create serious issues with the lower tier so maybe the move up has been put on hold until the fate of the other NL clubs is known?

I think your right sings we could be forced to stay to make the numbers up but i fear it may be the beginning of the end for brum speedway the 2019 NL will  be worse than ever and at tops £6-7 product . like i have said before the racing is so predictable and strung out people will keep dwindling away.. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ProudtobeaBrummie said:

I think your right sings we could be forced to stay to make the numbers up but i fear it may be the beginning of the end for brum speedway the 2019 NL will  be worse than ever and at tops £6-7 product . like i have said before the racing is so predictable and strung out people will keep dwindling away.. 

You were probably cursed this year by having a strong team / a top heavy team. The top Brum riders were so dominant at home that results were largely predictable and with averages stretching between 3.00 (and actually less) up to 10+ in the same meeting sadly the racing will never be that entertaining. 

Im far from advocating the introduction of a 32 point limit but two teams of seven riders with averages between 3 and 6 is liable to produce closer contested racing.

4 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

You were probably cursed this year by having a strong team / a top heavy team. The top Brum riders were so dominant at home that results were largely predictable and with averages stretching between 3.00 (and actually less) up to 10+ in the same meeting sadly the racing will never be that entertaining. 

Im far from advocating the introduction of a 32 point limit but two teams of seven riders with averages between 3 and 6 is liable to produce closer contested racing.

again i agree sings or you could raise it to 42.5 and then teams dont need to fill spaces with  3 pointers that are not good enough to compete 

18 minutes ago, ProudtobeaBrummie said:

again i agree sings or you could raise it to 42.5 and then teams dont need to fill spaces with  3 pointers that are not good enough to compete 

the problem is that in reality teams don't need to fill spaces with 3 pointers but they choose to gamble upon them. Brum 2018 was a prime example signed  3 big hitters and then had to pad out with 3 & 4 pointers. As it turned out the 3 point gamble paid off whilst the 4 point journeymen let you down. Stick the limit up to 42.5 and Brum 2019 will just track Bacon, Flint & Hume again with 3 pointers plugging the gaps. 

If it is true that Birmingham are to stay in the N.L., I personally think that financially it is the right decision to take. They ran in the upper

division and failed to make it pay under the most experienced promoter in the game. So where would the extra money come from to sustain

a Championship club ?  Out of Mason's back pocket. I'm sure he did not buy the club in order for it to cost him large sums of money. It seems 

even the millionaires at Glasgow are warning that the end is nigh for them. It's a No Brainer IMO.

Plenty of clubs have been persuaded to move up a league over the years, and then hung out to dry. It's a massive financial gamble to take. It would not suprise me if no teams move up from the NL.

2 hours ago, cityrebel said:

Plenty of clubs have been persuaded to move up a league over the years, and then hung out to dry. It's a massive financial gamble to take. It would not suprise me if no teams move up from the NL.

You could well be right. Didn't Somerset and Leicester go up to the top league and now have dropped down again. A lesson from history - especially to Ipswich and Peterborough