British Speedway Forum

I think out of all the NL teams, Brum have had the most consistent noises from fans about their desire to go back up.

Something to consider here is that if 2 teams don't go up then surely the points limit for the championship will need resetting? As the 38 points was set for 12 teams not 10.

Or would the BSPA of used their heads and had a different set of rules should 2 sides not step up.

Would be a further disaster for British Speedways credibility if one of the few details from the AGM turned out to be wrongly announced.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cityrebel said:

Plenty of clubs have been persuaded to move up a league over the years, and then hung out to dry. It's a massive financial gamble to take. It would not suprise me if no teams move up from the NL.

Have to agree with Teaboy. There must be at the very least some serious interest in moving up for the BSPA to announce it.

No doubt its a major financial gamble but I can't believe the two clubs haven't considered that. 

Eastbourne and Birmingham are not the best supported clubs in the NL. If they do take the plunge, i hope their fans turn out in sufficient numbers to cover the increased costs.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

Eastbourne and Birmingham are not the best supported clubs in the NL. If they do take the plunge, i hope their fans turn out in sufficient numbers to cover the increased costs.

You're right - at least about Eastbourne - and that's why I am surprised about them potentially going up.

Kent get bigger gates, have a better stadium, have applied for changes to their planning permission and a Championship club not a million miles away has closed down :unsure:

I find the whole thing disappointing to be honest, why are we left completely in limbo of what the clubs plans are for 2019. I think a decision either way should have been made weeks ago to be honest, instead we have had no word. The AGM statement comes out and says 2 NL clubs have moved up, it happens to be on the Brummies website so my thought was that its not a matter of if but when its announced. Then today we hear that no decision has yet been made despite the championship agm finishing almost a week ago. What is going on?

I will be at Perry Barr in 2019 no matter what league we race in but I hope its Championship. When you go to some away tracks and Cardiff people always say "Why is a club like Birmingham in the National League? its right, why are we?. We have a good track and good facilities in a good location with some great sponsors. After 2014 I was glad we raced again at any level but the club should be moving forward and looking to race in the second tier. Its a level we have raced at before, and I enjoyed so much the old premier league days of 2007 to 2010. It was a big mistake to move up to the EL, that clearly was a financial gamble too much. A move up to the championship is a big risk as well I dont disagree but I have every faith we can make it work. Theres some good people at this club.

I am quite worried about what kind of National League there will be in 2019. What clubs will be running as in 2018 there seemed to be concerns with a few clubs. So bearing that in mind will there be a significant reduction in the points limit. Will admission prices stay £13 and the like if the points limit and quality on offer reduces? It will be hard to sell to the general public. My preference would be to increase points limit but that isnt suitable I know because its a struggle for some clubs. So if we stay in the NL I just pray points limit stays the same. 

• Like 5

Birmingham will definitely move up imo !

We have got 'speedway' people running the show and with Cradley/Coventry struggling, I think we have a location that might entice a few 'neutrals' to attend. Especially if we sign one or two or 'their' riders i.e Connor Mountain if he's available ???

I think now that Ipswich/ Peterborough have moved up, it will be a dead cert that Tom Bacon/Danyon Hume will stay ? having not been in touch with the Premier league list of available riders, it will be very interesting to see who 'potentially' we could sign?

And you wonder why British Speedway is an international laughing stock? In Poland they knew 2 weeks ago which teams were in which league and which riders were in which team. They are only a matter of a couple of weeks away from announcing their fixtures, which typically are published mid-December.

In Britain, we don't know if we're coming or going...literally. The Chapmanship has reduced down to 7 teams, Glasgow have given 12 months notice that they are folding, other teams are on the brink or have announced themselves to be up for sale, Cradley and Coventry are likely to be confined to the history books, and I've seen promoters up and down the country having "meet the fans evenings" to explain what's going on and to trawl around for new ideas because they don't have any of their own.

I wish they would hurry up and announce what is happening at Birmingham, because I'm not hanging around for another year in the Post-Natal League. If we're not going Championship, then let me know soonest please, so that I can cut my emotional ties to this farce sport. After the mooting of a 30 point limit per team and the comical shenanigans in the NL last season, I'm not putting up with the NL again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, uk_martin said:

And you wonder why British Speedway is an international laughing stock? In Poland they knew 2 weeks ago which teams were in which league and which riders were in which team. They are only a matter of a couple of weeks away from announcing their fixtures, which typically are published mid-December.

In Britain, we don't know if we're coming or going...literally. The Chapmanship has reduced down to 7 teams, Glasgow have given 12 months notice that they are folding, other teams are on the brink or have announced themselves to be up for sale, Cradley and Coventry are likely to be confined to the history books, and I've seen promoters up and down the country having "meet the fans evenings" to explain what's going on and to trawl around for new ideas because they don't have any of their own.

I wish they would hurry up and announce what is happening at Birmingham, because I'm not hanging around for another year in the Post-Natal League. If we're not going Championship, then let me know soonest please, so that I can cut my emotional ties to this farce sport. After the mooting of a 30 point limit per team and the comical shenanigans in the NL last season, I'm not putting up with the NL again.

Sums things up nicely.It is a complete joke all this uncertainty etc.Agree fully about the NL as well.

On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 11:58 AM, Sings4Speedway said:

There has to be an element of interests of the sport coming into play alongside interests of the clubs. The Championship has 10 teams confirmed at present and 12 with 2 x NL sides. The National league has 3 confident teams in Kent, IOW & Belle Vue then Stoke & Buxton likely but with constant question marks hanging over them and that's it, 5 whole teams. 

Without Coventry, Mildenhall & Plymouth in the league and two moving up it would create serious issues with the lower tier so maybe the move up has been put on hold until the fate of the other NL clubs is known?

On what basis do you believe that Plymouth will not be riding next season?

• Like 1

IOW could be one of the teams to move up ? They have a lot going for themselves and appear to have a very decent promotion behind them?

12 hours ago, ancient mariner said:

On what basis do you believe that Plymouth will not be riding next season?

No basis other than end of season speculations fuelled by the promotions press release. I certainly hope they do return to the tapes this year as i have had only good things about the current setup.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

No basis other than end of season speculations fuelled by the promotions press release. I certainly hope they do return to the tapes this year as i have had only good things about the current setup.

I think you'll find that like everyone else the promotion is waiting to see what the NL AGM brings.

• Like 2

If a club like Birmingham can make Speedway a profitable business in the National League, what possible incentive is there to move

into a far more costly Championship, a level at which we keep reading stories of money troubles, tracks for sale and now even the

millionaire owned Glasgow threatening to close if things do not improve after 2019 ??  How would all those fans ( don't think it's all that many)

who are howling for Championship level feel if,  after moving up,  the club loses money and shuts down again ? It's a no-brainer for me.

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 7:38 AM, GiveusaB said:

IOW could be one of the teams to move up ? They have a lot going for themselves and appear to have a very decent promotion behind them?

Almost certainly not, although that maybe a long term aim (they aim high).

Yet another remarkable thing about IOW is that it is run as a business, which means that it has to at the very least have sustainable losses. 

5 hours ago, East End Fan said:

If a club like Birmingham can make Speedway a profitable business in the National League, what possible incentive is there to move

into a far more costly Championship, a level at which we keep reading stories of money troubles, tracks for sale and now even the

millionaire owned Glasgow threatening to close if things do not improve after 2019 ??  How would all those fans ( don't think it's all that many)

who are howling for Championship level feel if,  after moving up,  the club loses money and shuts down again ? It's a no-brainer for me.

Its a matter of ambition. I suspect  It would be the aim of every club in existence to go as high as they can in the world of speedway, and some are prepared to accept substantial losses in doing so (for right or wrong). 

My own view is that Glasgow are at least partly the architects of their own situation. If you pay huge amounts of money to riders - as they by all accounts do - and don't attract the attendances and sponsorship to pay for them, you can only expect thumping losses.