Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum

Sad to see Buxton,the only Team who tried to compete with spirit which the league was set up but were outgunned in the end by glory hunters paying over the odds to riders for success.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Sad to see Buxton,the only Team who tried to compete with spirit which the league was set up but were outgunned in the end by glory hunters paying over the odds to riders for success.

My opinion is Buxton just failed to move with the times.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, teaboy279 said:

My opinion is Buxton just failed to move with the times.

So have a number of clubs unfortunately they have financial issues too.

On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 8:55 AM, cityrebel said:

Look at somersets recently signed heat leader trio. How can any NL club compete with that.

The same way Somerset do. A promoter funding the track's losses. 

Debbie Hancock has repeatedly said that their gates aren't good and word I got was that winning the PLa few seasons ago cost them £90k. 

19 hours ago, Fromafar said:

That's simply not true. The league was set up for development and its performed - and continues to perform - an admirable task. The GB team at Glasgow last season were all products of the third tier of British Speedway. 

I think its a myth that Buxton chose to maintain the 'spirit' of the league and more the truth that they simply lacked the resources and income to match some of the other clubs. Had they had those resources, they would have been no different.

In addition, its not all about development. The NL is still a business, and to stay in business it needs to have an attractive product. Moreover, there is no better way to attract crowds than success, and no better way to lose them than being continually unsuccessful.  

The NL has consistently struck a balance between development and viability, and its done an excellent job. 

9 hours ago, Fromafar said:

So have a number of clubs unfortunately they have financial issues too.

Jayne Moss has made it clear that Buxton made a big loss last season but I suspect the killer blow was Sheffield switching to Sundays. 

Of the existing NL clubs for 2019, though, I am aware of only one that makes one substantial losses.  Along with the reduction in clubs, that's what makes the new points limit so hard to understand (particularly when they tried -with 10 teams - to increase it for 2018).

My suspicion is that there has been meddling or pressure from people outside the league, and that's not on. 

Edited by Halifaxtiger

4 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

The same way Somerset do. A promoter funding the track's losses. 

Debbie Hancock has repeatedly said that their gates aren't good and word I got was that winning the PLa few seasons ago cost them £90k. 

That's simply not true. The league was set up for development and its performed - and continues to perform - an admirable task. The GB team at Glasgow last season were all products of the third tier of British Speedway. 

I think its a myth that Buxton chose to maintain the 'spirit' of the league and more the truth that they simply lacked the resources and income to match some of the other clubs. Had they had those resources, they would have been no different.

In addition, its not all about development. The NL is still a business, and to stay in business it needs to have an attractive product. Moreover, there is no better way to attract crowds than success, and no better way to lose them than being continually unsuccessful.  

The NL has consistently struck a balance between development and viability, and its done an excellent job. 

Jayne Moss has made it clear that Buxton made a big loss last season but I suspect the killer blow was Sheffield switching to Sundays. 

Of the existing NL clubs for 2019, though, I am aware of only one that makes one substantial losses.  Along with the reduction in clubs, that's what makes the new points limit so hard to understand (particularly when they tried -with 10 teams - to increase it for 2018).

My suspicion is that there has been meddling or pressure from people outside the league, and that's not on. 

Will not any GB team be products of third tier though,you have got to start somewhere:rolleyes:

Think, next year you could have an under 17 team of Brennan Kemp Gilkes Edwards that’s how good the third tier and British youth system is we are now developing riders that are heat leaders at such a young age 

3 hours ago, TurnTwo said:

Think, next year you could have an under 17 team of Brennan Kemp Gilkes Edwards that’s how good the third tier and British youth system is we are now developing riders that are heat leaders at such a young age 

and Flint

52 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

and Flint

and Rowe

Yes, it is a pleasure to see the youngsters with real talent as they progress. I was really impressed with Anders Rowe last season. I went to

Kent from time to time, and every visit I made he looked better and better.  I see that they have now signed Gilkes, another impressive performer

that I look forward to watching.  With regard to the numbers of such kids, cannot the BSPA fix up a Test Match or two with, say, Denmark, at Under

19 level. I'd love to see that.   But I do not see much enterprise in that direction.

The British Youth Championships have got as much as anything to do with the increase in quality of riders coming through, year on year it seems that more good young riders are getting into the system. Hopefully those in charge can see this and give it all the support they can. Meeting against other countries are an excellent idea, the more experience they can get of different environments the better.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Will not any GB team be products of third tier though,you have got to start somewhere:rolleyes:

Not necessarily. To be fair, its rare for a rider not to start in the NL, but  Richard Lawson, for example, had no more than a handful of outings in that league before getting a team place at Workington.

19 hours ago, TurnTwo said:

The infuriating bit is that with the low points limit in the NL this season the likes of Brennan and Kemp are not guaranteed a team place. We have already seen Jack Smith shown the door at Belle Vue, and he is going to be very lucky to get in anywhere else.

How stupid is it that our best youngsters are - at least potentially - denied a position in our development league ? 

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

The infuriating bit is that with the low points limit in the NL this season the likes of Brennan and Kemp are not guaranteed a team place. We have already seen Jack Smith shown the door at Belle Vue, and he is going to be very lucky to get in anywhere else.

How stupid is it that our best youngsters are - at least potentially - denied a position in our development league ? 

That's the issue.Think I counted 23 riders on over an 8 average in the NL.Well over half will miss out of getting more experience from this level.Teams are going to be left with riders on a 5 point average who have been in the league for years as a 3rd heat leader.Hardly the way to bring people though the turnstiles.I want to see the likes of Smith who are progressing rather than riders who have stayed the same level for years.The NL is going to be a poorer product next season that's for sure 

• Like 4