British Speedway Forum

There was nothing wrong with the league the way it was, it was doing its job producing some great racing to watch and producing a good number of riders good enougth to move up to the championship league.It was also giving the paying public value for money with a mix of riders good enough to produce some quality speedway racing and the chance to watch youngsters improve over the season a perfect mix to get me to part with my money.I have bought a season ticket every year for the Colts but next year I will not be doing so I will go to a few meetings and then form an opinion if the product on show is good enough for me to part with my money.

My worries are.

The Colts have already lost Smith and Perry next year who produced some quality/great racing round the NSS who is going to do this next year.

I don't know but say we keep Bickley as our number 1 we might see some great races against the opposing teams number 1 but in his other races there is a good chance that he will be riding on his own well in front of the other riders in the race, this I have no interest in watching.(Will others ?.)

The more talented youngsters improve very fast (Bewley,Kemp etc) and at some stage in the year to improve further need to ride against better riders there wont be many of them around to do this.

The way it is now a rider that ends the season with a high average is a good indication that he is ready to be given a chance in the Champ league.Next season will this be the case a rider that ends up with a high average will he be good enough/ready to be given a chance as this average will have been achived by racing against less talented riders.

We may lose a good few talented riders who cant or are not quite ready to get a Champ league place but who's average is to high to get a team place in the Nat league

Some of the riders that get a Champ league place spot may still need to race Nat league to help them improve further and keep  their confidence up if they are finding it hard in the Champ league.

My biggest worry is yes the National league is a development league but for people to pay their money(for some teams its not much less than the higher leagues) and turn up you have to give them a product that will give them value for money and entertain them ie good speedway racing.For me the product next year from seasons past looks like its going to be a lot poorer than previous seasons.As I say I will give it a try but if I am disappointed I am lucky I can just go back to just watching the Aces.But to me these changes could cause the sport to lose even more supporters when to me the product was fine and needed no changes what so ever.

I have a few other reasons going round in my head but the above reasons above should get my point of view across.but to me its just another worry for the future of the sport I love.

Edited by B.V 72
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, ProudtobeaBrummie said:

Will there be just 1 home and away fixture or is there 2 like in the top tier ?

One I believe, hence Cradley being able to fit in the matches at Monmore (with the odd one at PB should the need arise)

So as the end of the season approaches, are we bidding farewell to the NL?

With Stoke departed, Plymouth looking to move up and rumours that Cradley, Leicester Cubs and Belle Vue Colts are ‘doubtful’ for 2020, what happens if those scenarios actually play out. Obviously a 3 team league is impractical. Perhaps Rye House and Buxton and others could return but what is the realistic future for Kent, Mildenhall and IOW? May be Kent and Mildenhall could be induced in to a step up but I would fear for the Island’s ability to finance higher costs without a big increase in attendances or significant additional sponsorship.

I Wish I had some answers.

Looking ahead to another very uncertain winter. Driven largely by the mess of the clubs in the leagues above and much will depend how they are structured before a NDL is even considered. Throw in the clubs closing/defecting and its alarming times ahead (unless there are those above who would welcome a drop down?) I just can't see Kent wanting to risk the year on year sustainability with a move up, IOW are building but carefully and the Mildenhall promotion are new in also. However its the riders who i feel for most as many have put a lot in this year in preparation for getting or maintaining team places next year and could be forced out altogether. I would certainly be hesitant as a rider if i was planning on any purchases over the winter.