British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Kings Lynn v Poole Playoff Final 2nd leg 10/10/18

3 minutes ago, KLFAN said:

At the end of the day the record books will show Poole as 2018 SGB Champions. However so we do not have this situation where the best team over the season does not ultimately become Champions perhaps some allowance should be made for topping the league (apart from pick of opponents and choice of home or away leg first). 

Ultimately King's Lynn finished 9 points ahead of Poole in the table so perhaps KL should have been given a 9 point start for the final. Opinions?

I do think that there should be some sort of recognition to finishing top of the league - perhaps a trophy of some sort. However, the play-offs need to remain the main prize.

5 minutes ago, KLFAN said:

At the end of the day the record books will show Poole as 2018 SGB Champions. However so we do not have this situation where the best team over the season does not ultimately become Champions perhaps some allowance should be made for topping the league (apart from pick of opponents and choice of home or away leg first). 

Ultimately King's Lynn finished 9 points ahead of Poole in the table so perhaps KL should have been given a 9 point start for the final. Opinions?

Poole have finished top before and lost in play off, e.g. against Coventry who had also been bottom of league but by careful manipulation had Pawlicki at reserve. 

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, cinderfella said:

As regards NKI's injury, am i not right in thinking he was hospitalised with a head injury which would mean the concussion protocol would come into play and he has to sit out for a specific number of days. He maybe said he was fine and appeared so but medical opinion may have differed and that has to be the over- ruling factor.

Concussion lay off is only a BSPA regulation if the concussion happens in a BSPA run meeting.

As Niels injury was in Poland the concussion rule doesn't exist. 

The fact he said on live TV he felt perfectly fine doesn't sit well with me.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Grachan said:

I do think that there should be some sort of recognition to finishing top of the league - perhaps a trophy of some sort. However, the play-offs need to remain the main prize.

Yes I agree

1 minute ago, Supersub said:

Poole have finished top before and lost in play off, e.g. against Coventry who had also been bottom of league but by careful manipulation had Pawlicki at reserve. 

Exactly why the points should be carried forward. I believe in 2010 Poole finished in excess of 20 points above Coventry. Had these points been taken into account it would of made for a fairer outcome.

14 minutes ago, KLFAN said:

So what would the point of the playoff final be, if you did that in 2010 Poole would have started with +24 over Coventry.

The rules are fine. Table toppers get the pick plus the second leg of the final. 

To give a trophy for finishing top would diminish the playoffs, meaning it becomes the side show. That in turn would reduce crowds. 

The playoffs have worked brilliantly since 2002. Why change? Imagine if there were no playoffs and one team romped away by the end of June? The whole season would be dead in the water for the other teams.

Edited by Steve Shovlar

36 minutes ago, cinderfella said:

As someone with a medical background I know if a HIA is carried out the possibility of a delayed concussion must be considered and the proper actions taken.
Even if he appeared to escaped any brain injury on that occasion the possibility of another serious trauma shortly after has to be considered.
Rider's safety is paramount and has to be the first consideration. 

As someone with no medical background and have never fallen off of a motorbike... It just didn't stack up as concussion had never been mentioned

2 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

So what would the point of the playoff final be, if you did that in 2010 Poole would have started with +24 over Coventry.

The rules are fine. Table toppers get the pick plus the second leg of the final. 

To give a trophy for finishing top would diminish the playoffs, meaning it becomes the side show. That in turn would reduce crowds. 

The playoffs have worked brilliantly since 2002. Why change? Imagine if there were no playoffs and one team romed away by the end of June? The whole season would be dead in the water for the other teams.

The 'play offs' are purely a marketing exercise to keep the TV companies happy. I think in 2010  Poole finished 26 points ahead of Coventry in the table, however Coventry beat Poole by 22 points in the finals. Had Poole been able to carry over their 26 point advantage it actually would have made for a better final.

3 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

The playoffs have worked brilliantly since 2002. Why change? Imagine if there were no playoffs and one team romped away by the end of June? The whole season would be dead in the water for the other teams.

I'm not so sure.

British Basketball, for example, has League Champions and then has play-off champions. The play-offs final is at the 02 and has crowds much bigger than any league match.

perhaps a trophy for the team who wins the league then the top four compete in the play offs?

I personally think you will still get the same buzz.

22 minutes ago, hyabb17 said:

I think they do (or did) that in the Danish final, top start with so many points & so on.

The Danes did but dropped it 2 years ago- the taple toppers at the regular season end host the 4 team final.

8 minutes ago, Grachan said:

I'm not so sure.

British Basketball, for example, has League Champions and then has play-off champions. The play-offs final is at the 02 and has crowds much bigger than any league match.

As does Rugby League

21 minutes ago, iainb said:

As someone with no medical background and have never fallen off of a motorbike... It just didn't stack up as concussion had never been mentioned

Lucky you - on both counts lol

15 minutes ago, Grachan said:

I'm not so sure.

You would think there would be some kind of recognition to finishing the league top wouldn't you.Only in speedway do you get diddly squat.Just another trophy made would be ok wouldn't it.

• Like 1

Congrats to Poole - one hell of a comeback from 3 or 4 months ago. Very impressive how they clawed themselves back into contention, and honestly have looked the best side (narrowly) in the second half of the season.

King's Lynn obviously were unfortunate to lose Palm Toft at Poole, but some of their own failures are of their own doing. Why, oh why, would you replace your best reserve (who admittedly was not at his best) when you needed 2 5-1s to take it to golden heats? (where you'd be big favourites!) Howarth off gate 1 had a more than fair chance of getting the 5-1 with TJ, but Dale Allitt decided to bring in Lambert who had done very little over the 2 legs apart from a shock paid win when he looked to have jumped the gate (Proctor certainly did, anyway). Certainly if the roles had been reversed, and Middlo had made that blunder, it would have its own thread on here by now!

There's an unreal of Poole hatred which I guess makes it all the sweeter for the Poole contigent. And honestly, so it should given some of the unfair comments they have to endure. 

Lots of talk about heat 12 at Poole, and whilst it was a dubious decision, heat 3 last night was just as bad. Jørgensen should have been out 100%, and whilst you can't predict what would have happened, that 6 point (approx) swing evened out Palm Toft's unfortunate hand injury at Poole. 

Imagine we will see some big changes next year. A better standard of tracks (Belle Vue excluded) would be a good start along with eliminating averages, but a better standard of Speedway supporters would be just as good if the childish bickering on the Play-Off Final threads is anything to go by!

• Like 5

1 minute ago, tellboy said:

You would think there would be some kind of recognition to finishing the league top wouldn't you.Only in speedway do you get diddly squat.Just another trophy made would be ok wouldn't it.

Did they not try some sort of competition (called the Young Shield I think) a few years ago where the top finishing club participated in a season finale?