British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Kings Lynn v Poole Playoff Final 2nd leg 10/10/18

53 minutes ago, Bleeds Pirate Blue said:

Went back and watched Palm-Toft decision in Heat 12 at Poole, and my interpretation was MPT was willing to go down there and that's what got him excluded. Yes there was contact, albeit slight. MPT then runs a little wider and then makes a tactical decision a split second later to lay it down as he knows he's lost the position, and there was contact, so nine times out of ten he thinks a ref will exclude Jacobsen.

In my opinion he should have been able to withstand the contact and ride on - we see much bigger contact in the first bend without incident all the time. It's not right to call it a "dive" by MPT, it's more a veteran move by a savvy rider expecting a decision to go his way, which the ref didn't give him. I can totally understand why Poole-haters and Kings Lynn fans are aggrieved, BUT, I'd like to see more ref's take Ackroyd's stance and exclude the falling rider for making not enough effort to stay on his bike after incidental contact. Please note I am NOT accusing MPT of being a cheat. What he did is part and parcel of the way speedway riders act because it's ingrained in them. 

As for the Woryna incident at Kings Lynn, my take on the matter was that he lost control as he was pushed wide by the clean pass on the inside. Zero contact, but in his efforts to defend the move he went down. Seemed like he was slightly shook up, but it's highly likely if Poole weren't being 5-1'd he have found the adrenaline to at least try and get off the track. He defo had a look to see the rider's position's and that made him stay down. Do I like this? No. I always cheer ALL riders who clear the track after a crash, but is it part of speedway tactics - yup. It's one of those where if the rider does clear the track when being 5-1'd he'll be labelled naive by fans of his team!!

I'd add that while Kings Lynn were on a clear 5-1, isn't the rule that the rider had to purposely lay it down to draw a re-run, and that's what triggers the 15m handicap? I don't think that's what happened here...

Just wanted to give an attempt at an even-handed Poole supporter's opinion... 

Can't agree with you, he went down because he had his leg taken away as he entered the bend, think condoning such riding (by Jakobsen) would lead to all kinds of incidents.

2 hours ago, KLFAN said:

The 'play offs' are purely a marketing exercise to keep the TV companies happy. I think in 2010  Poole finished 26 points ahead of Coventry in the table, however Coventry beat Poole by 22 points in the finals. Had Poole been able to carry over their 26 point advantage it actually would have made for a better final.

The crowd must have been the biggest for years at KL, that is the reason we have play offs.

1 hour ago, Star Lady said:

Concussion knows no borders. As you say the injury was in Poland so was any suspension. Would you have preferred him to ride, possibly fell and caused himself or heaven forbid another rider to sustain a serious injury?

I'm no great fan of NKI but concussion has to be taken seriously.

So sorry but you are talking out of the back of your head/ar5e *

*delete as appropriate.

Niels lay off had nothing to do with concussion. He was hospitalised for neck and back concerns. Concussion never an issue.

I'm well aware of head injuries as I've been out of work for 2 years thanks.

Talking out my backside I am not.

Something wasn't right with the Niels situation. When he spoke on the camera he himself said he's perfectly fine and is ready for the KO Cup.

He could quite easily have ridden Wednesday but the the guest had already been booked Tuesday. 

I'm sorry, but something absolutely stinks about using Ellis, no blame on Ellis at all.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, fliss44 said:

Sorry you are incorrect  I have little interest in speedway since losing Coventry (apart from the GP's) Poole were our rivals and  I had a healthy bias towards my home team then. If I were to follow a team at all it would be Leicester as it's closest to me. Methinks that you still wear rose tinted glasses along with your mate Steve. I watched both legs on TV and the decisions  by the ref. against King's Lynn were dreadful (perhaps the ref. is a little richer now) As for your track -- don't even get me started -- slick and boring. However if it rocks your boat enjoy!!!

You have said in the past you don't like Poole because of Steve, so you are definitely not neutral!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

You have said in the past you don't like Poole because of Steve, so you are definitely not neutral!

Or alone lol

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

As a newbie to this forum I have just spent the best part of the last three days reading as many posts as i possibly can and boy has it been interesting.It is obvious from some of the posts that I  pretty well know nothing about the finer points of speedway riding,track preparation,averages,rider replacement or even the way guest riders are chosen. There are lot that I would like to know about.Why the dislike for Chapman.Why is the track prep at KL a problem.What does Chapman do that others don't. What is the problem with the guests booked for the final.As for the final.

Yes MBT and NKI were a big loss (I was a tad disappointed to see and hear NKI seemingly well and ready to ride at KL.A shame he felt the need to ride in a benefit meeting on the Sunday)

Two bad decisions by the ref in the first leg.There was a question mark over the Jorgensen decision in second leg.

I don't know enough about the r/r but it would seem to me that it would have been better to use that than have the two guests because they were shocking.

Simon Lambert was also a very poor rider.

38 minutes ago, cinderfella said:

Got to say that's pretty poor when you consider the number of Star fans and from all other teams that contributed to appeals to help him after his tragic accident.

And I'm sure he's very grateful for that but he loves Poole and there is a lot of Poole haters on Twitter which I'm sure jump all over his tweets so he is allowed to respond! :)

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

I'm following the forum rule to reply to the post not the poster.

What a d***head post!!!

That's very polite Skidder! 

2 hours ago, Grachan said:

I do think that there should be some sort of recognition to finishing top of the league - perhaps a trophy of some sort. However, the play-offs need to remain the main prize.

I think there is, the table itself will always record the order of the clubs by points scored, then underscored with details of who won the play offs and were crowned league champions.

If you wikipedia the 2010 season it will forever show that Poole finished top of the table, then Wolves, then Panthers then Bees, and that Bees beat Poole in the final to become league champions BUT it will always show Poole as top, twenty points ahead of the next team, so whilst the Pirates were not champions it wouldn't be wrong to say they finished top of the league, because they did.

Also, I recall saying many years ago, that there is nothing to stop a group of fans clubbing together and buying their team an unofficial trophy which could be presented to them as a form of acknowledging the hard work they put in for finishing top of the table, its no different to a individual or group sponsoring an individual meeting and awarding trophies to the top three riders.

Thus far to my knowledge, not one set of fans from any club has actually done this when they have had a team finish top but not be champions, maybe Kings Lynn would like to be the first?

25 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Anyone with Coventry links is not unbiased.

15 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

That's very polite Skidder! 

Knee jerk reaction probably. :)

16 minutes ago, marko said:

I think there is, the table itself will always record the order of the clubs by points scored, then underscored with details of who won the play offs and were crowned league champions.

If you wikipedia the 2010 season it will forever show that Poole finished top of the table, then Wolves, then Panthers then Bees, and that Bees beat Poole in the final to become league champions BUT it will always show Poole as top, twenty points ahead of the next team, so whilst the Pirates were not champions it wouldn't be wrong to say they finished top of the league, because they did.

If you Wikipedia Coventry Bees it will show they were Elite League Champions in 2010.

41 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Niels lay off had nothing to do with concussion. He was hospitalised for neck and back concerns. Concussion never an issue.

I'm well aware of head injuries as I've been out of work for 2 years thanks.

Talking out my backside I am not.

Something wasn't right with the Niels situation. When he spoke on the camera he himself said he's perfectly fine and is ready for the KO Cup.

He could quite easily have ridden Wednesday but the the guest had already been booked Tuesday. 

I'm sorry, but something absolutely stinks about using Ellis, no blame on Ellis at all.

As I recall your head injuries were in no way the same as NKI's. 

To say that concussion was never an issue is ridiculous, just because we have not been told his full medical history. He crashed, heavily, hit his head and quite possibly was KO'd and even if that was only for a matter of seconds, could have had serious consequences.  Sure he said he felt fine, I'm sure he did but that does not mean he was fit to ride a 500cc bike in close proximity to other people. Concussion rules are made and are there for the protection of all riders not just the injured rider.

As I said, I'm no big fan of NKI but I have for many years advocated statutory suspensions in the case of concussion (as are the rule in most other sports).

Maybe I could have used other phrases about your talking, but it's a subject I feel strongly about and was incensed that concussion was being trivialised.

As fora guest being already booked on Tuesday, if he was suffering concussion I believe in the UK it's 7 days which ruled him out of Wednesday. Apart from that it's nice to actually see some forward thinking from Lynn by prebooking a guest,  for a change. 

Edited by Star Lady