British Speedway Forum
Panther1997

Panthers up for sale.

1 hour ago, bigcatdiary said:

Well I have been several times to Scunthorpe over the last few years and being brutally honest I don’t know how they get by, we have counted the fans on some occasions and never got by more than three or four hundred at the very most and often a lot less.

To be fair though he didn't mention crowd and I'm sure that most would agree with the general observation. You and I both know that most Panther fans would prefer that, even if a pipedream, but Sundays and the sustainable, allegedly, lower league hasn't drawn the punters in when it mattered although there are other reasons for that.

2 hours ago, bigcatdiary said:

Well I have been several times to Scunthorpe over the last few years and being brutally honest I don’t know how they get by, we have counted the fans on some occasions and never got by more than three or four hundred at the very most and often a lot less.

2 hours ago, StevePark said:

It's been pointed out many times that the Stock Car income keeps the speedway going.

Rob will tell you himself if it wasn't for the stocks and other revenue streams at the EWR there would be no Speedway; all of the other interests subsidise the Speedway, the best of it is RG gets vilified on here at times but to be fair he is a true Speedway fan and only wants the best for the sport.

Regards
THJ

• Like 2

So basically the second in command (soon to be first) of British Speedway can’t make Speedway pay, Ho dear what a shambles 

5 minutes ago, Argos said:

So basically the second in command (soon to be first) of British Speedway can’t make Speedway pay, Ho dear what a shambles 

And the current first thinks there is nothing wrong with the product! That used to be the line trotted out 10 to 15 years ago, since then crowd figures now prove otherwise

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

......and where's Neil with his smart arse answers this time!?.... probably too busy on the phone to Horton!

Edited by Lukas

36 minutes ago, Argos said:

29 minutes ago, iainb said:

And the current first thinks there is nothing wrong with the product! That used to be the line trotted out 10 to 15 years ago, since then crowd figures now prove otherwise

It's the "rat race" they find themselves in really, its not sustainable in its current format, so things need to change; but the whole structure at the top end is wrong, its not boxing where they are promoting at an individual meeting/match/venue its a team sport, unless as suggested elsewhere on here they do away with the teams and run individual events

To be fair I am of the same view there is nothing wrong with the product, its back to the point above and how it is being run where the the issues stem from in my humble opinion

Regards
THJ

11 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

It's the "rat race" they find themselves in really, its not sustainable in its current format, so things need to change; but the whole structure at the top end is wrong, its not boxing where they are promoting at an individual meeting/match/venue its a team sport, unless as suggested elsewhere on here they do away with the teams and run individual events

To be fair I am of the same view there is nothing wrong with the product, its back to the point above and how it is being run where the the issues stem from in my humble opinion

Regards
THJ

The problem with "the rat race" an whoever finishes first second or last is the owners make/break/manipulate/change the rules for their own INDIVIDUAL interests.
That is why the appointment of a TOTALLY INDEPENDENT ruling body is the only way the sport will be creditable again and get on the road to recover.

As regard running individual events, I've advocated for years the sport should be split in two - a team event and an individual (GP) event for those wanting to go down that route.  That way teams and leagues aren't disrupted by missing riders and I still believe the disruption caused by GPs played a major part in the decline of British speedway (ask the likes of Eastbourne or Rye fans).  Leagues could exist without GP riders and perhaps the GP series should be looking to expand to 20 or so rounds like F1 and make it a viable competition for riders to compete in it alone.  Iknow I'd prefer my speedway team to be the same for every meeting without the need for guests or r/r bar injuries.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cinderfella said:

The problem with "the rat race" an whoever finishes first second or last is the owners make/break/manipulate/change the rules for their own INDIVIDUAL interests.
That is why the appointment of a TOTALLY INDEPENDENT ruling body is the only way the sport will be creditable again and get on the road to recover.

As regard running individual events, I've advocated for years the sport should be split in two - a team event and an individual (GP) event for those wanting to go down that route.  That way teams and leagues aren't disrupted by missing riders and I still believe the disruption caused by GPs played a major part in the decline of British speedway (ask the likes of Eastbourne or Rye fans).  Leagues could exist without GP riders and perhaps the GP series should be looking to expand to 20 or so rounds like F1 and make it a viable competition for riders to compete in it alone.  Iknow I'd prefer my speedway team to be the same for every meeting without the need for guests or r/r bar injuries.

I would vote for that but then again my opinions like most if not all on here mean absolutely "Jack". The said thing is how come most rationale folk on here can see what the sport needs why cant the promoters. They all have different ideas and to be fair so do the fans but not all of them are bad; however they can never reach a consensus and in my humble opinion this is down to years of weak leadership at the top, so I fully agree that the best place to start would be with your suggestion of a fully independent body to support and enforce the rules and ensure fair play, and the first sign of shenanigans from any team threatening not play their part and then say they will to sue should be chased, have their licence pulled or at least  penalised that heavily that it deters anyone else from trying it on. But nothing will change until the sport is on its knees then it might be to late to be resuscitated, sadly 

Regards
THJ

• Like 1

We had one once but the promoters did not like the decisions made so contrived to get rid of it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Rob will tell you himself if it wasn't for the stocks and other revenue streams at the EWR there would be no Speedway; all of the other interests subsidise the Speedway, the best of it is RG gets vilified on here at times but to be fair he is a true Speedway fan and only wants the best for the sport.

Regards
THJ

Got a real funny way of showing it

• Like 2

Your suggestions make a lot of sense to me cinderfella, maybe there should be a new thread created as a platform for all speedway fans to put their ideas forward. It would also be interesting to hear the views of supporters of the premier league clubs, as listening to Kelvin last night on BT Sport he was making out that it had been a terrific season and everything was hunky dory  ('top drawer' and 'no doubt about that').

My head is still spinning from THJ's run down of  the various fixture permutations and YB's calculations regarding what Ty needs to reach the magical 7 point average. I think I am going to concentrate on my day job as a quantum physicist and leave the intricacies of speedway to others.;)

Edited by Carlislecomet2

Just seen the ET and Panthers are definitely running next year. If Ged can't sell then the club will continue. 

However, he has already received three serious enquiries.

• Like 1

As I’ve stated on previous Topic all clubs are for Sale, Peterborough are the same as Poole, I will sell if someone comes in with a offer I can’t refuse, If not I’ll continue.

This is the same as any Track in the Country.

38 minutes ago, Argos said:

As I’ve stated on previous Topic all clubs are for Sale, Peterborough are the same as Poole, I will sell if someone comes in with a offer I can’t refuse, If not I’ll continue.

This is the same as any Track in the Country.

Peterborough & Poole are both successful clubs with healthy crowds.

Most clubs are making a loss, the two above are an exception.

9 hours ago, JeremyCorbynFan said:

Peterborough & Poole are both successful clubs with healthy crowds.

Most clubs are making a loss, the two above are an exception.

I thought the previous owner of Peterborough said it had never made a profit.