British Speedway Forum

Racing admittedly wasn't of the highest calibre last night, but it wasn't that bad either.

But, hey, there was a massive 15,000+ crowd at Vojens last night. A packed stadium, just aweseome to see. Vojens is well and truely the heart of Danish speedway, and people love it there.

Vojens, just like Prague, is an anchor venue for the SGP, even if the racing is not always as good as it should be.  

• Like 1

I was there and although the racing wasn’t great it’s always a lot better when your there in the atmosphere then watching on tv.

Track was strange probably as a consequence of being covered all week, started off quite dry and dusty but could tell there was loads of dirt on it by the roost coming off back wheel and some riders struggling to turn. Track record was broken twice which always means racing going to be poor.

I’ve been Vojens lots of times and the best racing is always when it rains and track is wet, racing did get bit better in 2nd half of meeting once they dumped a load of water down to the displeasure of Phil Morris.

Huge crowd packed in and it will be the same next year.

19 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Just seen this on Facebook on the DMU page 

‘Well done Vojens, great show, great advert for speedway ..., from a happy Scotsman’

So different opinions as ever and I think importantly from those many thousands who attended. I have often found myself enjoying a Vojens meeting and then come home to read the negative opinions on the forum. Not without grounds I add. Just the experience is often very different

I agree. Wembley didn’t always produce the best racing on world final night, but the atmosphere was amazing.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, gustix said:

On this basis would the FIM permit Britain to stage two Grand Prix? Also how does the NSS compare in facilities with Cardiff should it ever  be selected as the GB hosting venue for a GP?

WELL, it doesn't have a roof and about 45,000 less seats for starters

• Like 1

THE problem for BSI or whoever will run the series from 2022 is marrying good tracks with places that fans want to go to even if the racing isn't top notch.

1 hour ago, iris123 said:

Just seen this on Facebook on the DMU page 

‘Well done Vojens, great show, great advert for speedway ..., from a happy Scotsman’

So different opinions as ever and I think importantly from those many thousands who attended. I have often found myself enjoying a Vojens meeting and then come home to read the negative opinions on the forum. Not without grounds I add. Just the experience is often very different

It certainly looked the part...

I remember the grass banks... :D

As we always allude to on here..

That racing last night, played out in front of 1000 punters, would have been deemed devoid of atmosphere, not worth the admission, and unlikely to be revisited again. . 

Played out in front of 15000 passionate fans, sat and stood close together, and you get a memorable event which will no doubt see many return next year..

The NSS and Cardiff are the perfect example of this. One a great race track which delivers great racing but struggles to get more than 1500 there to generate real atmosphere,  and one that delivers average racing but a huge crowd every year to sample the great atmosphere that their very attendance generates...

Speedway in the UK really need to cop themselves on that getting a crowd in (however you do it) really does make all the difference to that virtuous circle needed for long term growth..

Great crowds deliver great atmosphere which then delivers an urge to sample it again..

Sadly the vicious circle of low crowds, no atmosphere,  and no urge to keep sampling it, appears to be accepted as an inevitability by many..

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, mikebv said:

That racing last night, played out in front of 1000 punters, would have been deemed devoid of atmosphere, not worth the admission, and unlikely to be revisited again. . 

Played out in front of 15000 passionate fans, sat and stood close together, and you get a memorable event which will no doubt see many return next year..

The NSS and Cardiff are the perfect example of this. One a great race track which delivers great racing but struggles to get more than 1500 there to generate real atmosphere,  and one that delivers average racing but a huge crowd every year to sample the great atmosphere that their very attendance generates...

Speedway in the UK really need to cop themselves on that getting a crowd in (however you do it) really does make all the difference to that virtuous circle needed for long term growth..

Great crowds deliver great atmosphere which then delivers an urge to sample it again..

Sadly the vicious circle of low crowds, no atmosphere,  and no urge to keep sampling it, appears to be accepted as an inevitability by many..

COULD not agree more ...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

THE problem for BSI or whoever will run the series from 2022 is marrying good tracks with places that fans want to go to even if the racing isn't top notch.

Many of the best tracks are in Poland.   If it means 4 GP's in Poland to drop Vojens or Krsko then do it.    Those on this forum who have been to Poland seem to enjoy going to the country and the GPs are well supported.      Denmark and Sweden must be more expensive than Poland too.

Edited by Mark

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

Basics isn't it.

Something many of us have been preaching for years.

And as we know.. week after week they show tv matches devoid of crowds or atmosphere, which in effect will turn more away than gain.

• Like 2

Having watched the sport i love i love for many years i admit to feeling dissapointed when i see a very average meeting especially when its a SGP .

For me its not just when the track dosent produce good racing its the false starts ,the return to the pits for heaven sakes just get on with it it drives this old man bonkers so just imagine some poor soul who has tuned in to watch the pinnacle of our sport for the first time  !!!to never tune in again  

As always my opinion but i am old

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

To be fair, Phil, that was a problem that arose back in the 80's, when we had Norden, Los Angeles, Amsterdam, Munich, and even Bradford. Of course, the main objective SHOULD be to find a track that provides good racing, but there are other factors involved, and as we have seen, speedway fans are quick to voice their displeasure about everything.

I was at the L.A. Coliseum, and while the racing wasn't great, the stadium was very presentable, and I had a great holiday. Norden was very accessible for most Europeans, and it wasn't a poor track, but how does it look for the sport when we have the premier event in a field?

Amsterdam was a great place to visit, but a poor atmosphere in an aging and run-down arena didn't do us any favours. Munich, on the other hand, was a great stadium, and a great location (I wasn't there), but what of the meeting itself?

I liked Odsal as a racing track, but does Bradford really appeal to the rest of the world as a tourist destination? See, we were spoiled by Wembley, and even though the racing wasn't great most of the time, we could accept it because of the location, the atmosphere, and the simple magic of the stadium.

Trying to find a nice presentable stadium with a good racing track, in a city that people want to visit, and is easily accessible, is not easy. Certainly not outside of Poland, anyway...

Steve

• Like 2

I enjoyed it yesterday. Not sure about the track between heats 4 and 8. The commentary in one of the semis was really good. I love it when they get excited like that. Worthy winner in the end.

On 9/8/2019 at 10:37 AM, PHILIPRISING said:

Translated.... the people running speedway don't care about the product, just the 'show' and getting people through the door?

Give the fans the best possible racing and they will surely come... as would TV.  So does it matter if there is 10,000 or 40,000 in the stadium if the quality of racing is there?