British Speedway Forum

21 hours ago, chunky said:

I liked Odsal as a racing track, but does Bradford really appeal to the rest of the world as a tourist destination?

You could say the same about Northampton and Silverstone though, but Silverstone still gets big numbers for the F1 GP.

1 hour ago, TheReturn said:

You could say the same about Northampton and Silverstone though, but Silverstone still gets big numbers for the F1 GP.

The main differences are that:

1) F1 and road racing tracks (not street circuits, I mean) require much more land than a 400m oval, and cannot be situated in a city centre.

2)Silverstone - as a venue/facility - is an attractive and presentable location.

3) Spectators flock to these venues for a whole weekend of action, not just three hours. It is different when you stay onsite for several days.

Steve

Had a fab three days in Vojens, racing not the best, but with a packed stadium and watching live is a big difference than watching on tv. A special big thanks to team Lindgren for taking us out for breakfast Saturday morning, as breakfast in hotel was un-edible!!  

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 8:43 PM, chunky said:

I will admit, I've never been a huge fan of Vojens, but the fact that it is a truly purpose-built track doesn't make sense.

same problem at Leicester,  say no more.

On 9/7/2019 at 8:43 PM, chunky said:

I will admit, I've never been a huge fan of Vojens, but the fact that it is a truly purpose-built track doesn't make sense.

Somewhere in my memory i remember that Vojens was supposedly based on Smallmead- pretty sure they opened around the same time. 

24 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

Somewhere in my memory i remember that Vojens was supposedly based on Smallmead- pretty sure they opened around the same time. 

Which would be a strange thing to do. Base a track on a track that hadn't even opened, so you have no idea how it rides !! No doubt that is probably what happened. But I tend to think the problem is the surface and of course the Danish weather, particularly local weather.

3 minutes ago, keepturningleft said:

OK, not great racing but we should rejoice at the size of the crowd, surely the biggest there since the 1994 world final.

Shame that they and a few thousand more couldn`t  have turned up at the Copenhagen GP to keep it going  - which i loved going to :)

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

My recollection too. But I clearly never pinned down anything definite as it is not in a certain book. I seem to remember Foxall was also cited as a template for Vojens.

Both opened in 1975, Smallmead in April and Vojens in September.

I'm sure I read that Ole Olsen got Peter Adams to design the track.

19 hours ago, TheReturn said:

Translated.... the people running speedway don't care about the product, just the 'show' and getting people through the door?

Give the fans the best possible racing and they will surely come... as would TV.  So does it matter if there is 10,000 or 40,000 in the stadium if the quality of racing is there?

Fans don't really come into it for the organisers. It's about finding enough venues willing to front up fees whilst taking the financial risk on the events, and ensuring there's sufficient television coverage to keep (potential) sponsors happy. And where there aren't enough willing victims to stage a GP, then a cheap venue is needed to keep the costs down even if that's in the middle of field...

On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 5:48 PM, racers and royals said:

I think can vaguely remember that too, 

but I also think I can remember Smallmead itself being based on another track ?