British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Clive Ward

Tomas Gollob Benefit Meeting

I went to Bydgoszcz on Sunday for the Tomas Gollob benefit meeting and if it wasn’t for the fact that I helped him in a small way I wish that I hadn’t bothered.

People rave about Polish speedway but I’ve never been to a meeting that didn’t have one pass after the first and second bends for the whole meeting. I’ve never left a meeting early but after Tai wrapped up the meeting in heat 17 me and the wife started our journey back to Toruń totally bored rigid.

• Sad 1

Such a shame what's happened at Bydgoszcz I've been there a couple of times and the racing was fantastic

It wasn't a meeting to entertain but to raise funds for his medical bills and treatment at a club owned by The Gollob family who took on the stadium after the previous owner ran it dry. 

The long term plan was for Tomasz to take over once he retired and build the club up again but that was put on hold once he sustained his injuries but it will be back.

As for this meeting it was bitterly cold and even a few big names.packed up early and the unfortunate crash with Iversen caused a delay but a good turn out helped the finances out and let's face it the prices were very cheap

• Like 2