British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iainb

Is This The Worse Team Ever To Win The League?

11 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

The Belle Vue team from 1972 was very strong with a heat leader trio of Collins, Mauger and Sjosten.

Those were the days!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GiveusaB said:

Is that the same 'past his best' Chris Harris that came from behind to beat the then 'World Champion' in the final heat of the semi-final play off....to secure his team victory?

Yes....and? He's still a good rider, but if Chris Harris of 2007 was number one they'd be a lot stronger.

53 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

The Belle Vue team from 1972 was very strong with a heat leader trio of Collins, Mauger and Sjosten.

Good team, just before my time... Ippo98 had the world's 1, 3 and 5

Edited by iainb
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, iainb said:

I remember watching them demolish poole 64 - 26 at wimborne road. They certainly were a great team.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

When you look at Cradley Heath 1983, I don't think there will ever be a team to top that. Just the sheer quality in that side - not even from 1-7 but they had Simon Cross at no 8 instead.

Four riders with averages over 9. Two riders over 8. And at number 7, with an average over 7, was World Champ to be, Jan O. Pedersen.

Just a remarkable line-up.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Grachan said:

When you look at Cradley Heath 1983, I don't think there will ever be a team to top that. Just the sheer quality in that side - not even from 1-7 but they had Simon Cross at no 8 instead.

Four riders with averages over 9. Two riders over 8. And at number 7, with an average over 7, was World Champ to be, Jan O. Pedersen.

And Pete Adams as manger!

1 hour ago, Grachan said:

Despite my heart saying Ipswich 98 my head agrees with Cradley 83

2 hours ago, iainb said:

and I "believe" under 21 brit champion

• Like 1

20 hours ago, iainb said:

Is this the worse team ever to win the league?

to answer original question....without doubt in my memory

2 hours ago, iainb said:

and witches the only team to dump Tony Rickardsson!

Edited by ColinMills
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Grachan said:

Happy Days! :)  But wasn't there an Oxford team that went all season without a single defeat?

3 minutes ago, Col said:

Happy Days! :)  But wasn't there an Oxford team that went all season without a single defeat?

proper speedway....even kings lynn had boyce, leigh, crump, parker and won nothing! people are not thick, they know when they getting short changed, and these riders just no longer attractive. doubling up killed it

8 hours ago, Pinny said:

I doubt any buyer would careless about the rest of the clubs in the UK, Poole Speedway with the crowds they get will be a profitable buisness.

its like saying pubs are dying so I wont buy a pub thats busy all the time and has madr money annually for the last 20 years, because other pubs are dying and closing.

speedway promoters do not lose as much money as they say, every year the likes of Dave Tatum at Stoke say hes lost a fortune yet still the next season Stoke are running under his promotion. It just doesnt wash with me. And the same with a number of clubs. 

Poole Speedway regulary attracts over a thousand paying customers a week , unless Ford asks for silly amounts of money then it would be an attractive buisness venture for someone.

Your pub analogy is fundamentally flawed because one pub does not depend on the existence or otherwise of another. - whereas a speedway club does depend on other clubs.  No point in being well supported if you have no one to race against.  Also, a lot of people tend to pick and choose meetings they attend depending on who they are racing against and what competition it is for e.g. the KO Cup fails to attract the same level of support as league racing and some people do not bother going to see some of the weaker teams either.  The business model for speedway is a precarious one in the current climate which is why there won’t be a big queue of interested parties IMHO.

my time watching ko cup, was always decent turnout..anybody remember the first second bend at brandon in 98???

12 minutes ago, Col said:

Not sure, although they had a few years of domination before the points limits finally caught up with them. I know there was a season when Hans Nielsen went undefeated away from home.