British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
tellboy

Somerset v King's Lynn KO Cup final 1st leg 17/10/18

1 hour ago, g13webb said:

What a statement.        But every team strives to be the best team, wanting to win those spoils.      With these playoff, now  it all boils down to LUCK over those 2 matches

This could be the reason why fans are losing interest and disappearing.    Play-off may be a financial benefit  to  the winning team but it does nothing for the integrity of the sport..    If the public cant understand the happenings,  what chance is there of them wanting to come and watch...    The only reason fans come and watch the final, is because the rest of the season has been rendered unimportant...   Probably if there were more importance placed on league racing,  the support would be more favourable ...

Speaking as a neutral (I support a  Championship team) I cannot understand the annual whinge about the playoffs. Why do they do nothing for the integrity of the sport? It isn't cheating or anything underhand. Why are the "happenings difficult to understand"? It's there in black and white, top 4 teams into the playoffs, semi finals and final.

Every U S sport does it this way, rugby union (all countries across the board), rugby league (both here and Australia), there are probably others, but I don't follow that many. Does it do "nothing for the integrity" of those sports?

Fans don't just go to watch the final, the playoffs just attract more casual fans because the meetings are more important.

• Like 6

50 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

I believe Since July when Harris joined, Poole were the strongest team in the league, with a better 3 and 4 and much better reserves. And so it proved.

About time you congratulated the Champions on our 8th title since the millennium.

We will have to disagree there, for the only reason you were successful was the untimely injuries to NKI and MPT. (That forgetting about guest inquisition and bad Referee call)  up to that point you were definitely second best  (third Position in the league).  In the latter part of the season we went 10 matches unbeaten, so I question your statement of Poole being the strongest in the league...

Like Poole  the Stars were at the bottom of the league early on, a fact conveniently missed by Tatum and Pearson when forever praising their favourite team.  but we rose to them dizzy height of topping the league,  something we had never done before.  The signing of the year was undoubtedly that of Erik Riss.   He has been a revelation since stepping up to the Premier class.

I have always been a fan of watching Bomber and don't want to rubbish him. He has done well  at this stage of his career,   but he never won a single race in that final.    I have refuse to congratulate Poole on their fortunate success,  because I felt we were destined to lose a title we had fought so hard for,  by so many strokes of miss-fortune.   If you had won by a creditable margin,  I would have been the first to say well done, but to scrape home by a mere 4 pts after all the bad luck we had suffered shows how fortunate you really were.... 

14 hours ago, idh said:

Isn't this thread Somerset v King's Lynn KO Cup final / Kings Lynn v Somerset KO Cup final.

How about getting back on track any other topics start a new thread

As a Somerset fan I got up this morning and saw 2 pages of more discussion and thought great as I really enjoy reading others opinions on meetings and outcomes. 

However yet again 90% of the comments have nothing to do with the subject. I personally don't post often as the criticism that people receive is very off putting. I would however say that the racing at Somerset on Wednesday was top drawer. Probably some of the best we have seen this season. Having Charles back for one night only was excellent and watching Gary and him going around on Charles's bike at the end of the meeting showed that all problems are firmly water under the bridge. 

The meeting didn't just finish after heat 15 and the fireworks, we were treated to some great interviews with Doyley, Nico and Charles who took rider of the night. 

How lucky I am to be part of such a wonderful club, the Hancock's make you feel part of their family and that is how speedway should be.

So come on you Somerset and Stars fans who don't often post take the plunge and let people like me know your thoughts on the two meetings. 

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, g13webb said:

We will have to disagree there, for the only reason you were successful was the untimely injuries to NKI and MPT. (That forgetting about guest inquisition and bad Referee call)  up to that point you were definitely second best  (third Position in the league).  In the latter part of the season we went 10 matches unbeaten, so I question your statement of Poole being the strongest in the league...

Like Poole  the Stars were at the bottom of the league early on, a fact conveniently missed by Tatum and Pearson when forever praising their favourite team.  but we rose to them dizzy height of topping the league,  something we had never done before.  The signing of the year was undoubtedly that of Erik Riss.   He has been a revelation since stepping up to the Premier class.

I have always been a fan of watching Bomber and don't want to rubbish him. He has done well  at this stage of his career,   but he never won a single race in that final.    I have refuse to congratulate Poole on their fortunate success,  because I felt we were destined to lose a title we had fought so hard for,  by so many strokes of miss-fortune.   If you had won by a creditable margin,  I would have been the first to say well done, but to scrape home by a mere 4 pts after all the bad luck we had suffered shows how fortunate you really were.... 

I didn't realise we had to win by a massive margin to be a credible winner perhaps we should of tried harder in the second leg rather than just doing enough to make sure we won. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, g13webb said:

I have refuse to congratulate Poole on their fortunate success,  because I felt we were destined to lose a title we had fought so hard for,  by so many strokes of miss-fortune.   If you had won by a creditable margin,  I would have been the first to say well done, but to scrape home by a mere 4 pts after all the bad luck we had suffered shows how fortunate you really were.... 

So in other words 'I'm still bitter and can't take it..' Plus we were 8 up when we actually won, H15 didn't mean anything! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wotstheweatherlike said:

So come on you Somerset and Stars fans who don't often post take the plunge and let people like me know your thoughts on the two meetings. 

You'll be lucky. Once the Poole lot get their teeth into something, even if it's not on the appropriate thread, they never give up. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Gemini said:

You'll be lucky. Once the Poole lot get their teeth into something, even if it's not on the appropriate thread, they never give up. :lol:

What a surprise, KL and other clubs fans start talking about Poole and we get the blame for replying! :blink::blink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, g13webb said:

In the latter part of the season we went 10 matches unbeaten

Where's that come from? Most we went unbeaten was 7. 3 of those was an injury ravaged Wolverhampton team  double header, Leicester away so not really an impressive run.

Either side of our run of wins, apparently as "the in form team" we went to both Poole and Somerset and scored 29 points. Yes we had guests at Somerset but 29 points, REALLY??

The 2 main rivals in both competitions at the business end of the season we fell short.

MPT is not the reason we didn't win the league or KO Cup. As a team we weren't good enough and it's unbelievable how delusional Stars fans became about the team we had.

Against good sides our middle order disappeared. MPT only had 1 exceptional meeting against an injury ravaged Belle Vue. No great shakes hey?

Stars fans, really look back through the season and you'll see we were fortunate to finish top. We were fortunate to face an injured Belle Vue side in the Play-Off semi-final. 

Some say I'm over the top with my criticism of the team. I'm not at all, just see the bigger picture. Review with an open mind. I'm only highly critical of the management team. 

King's Lynn had a very very fortunate end to the season meeting badly injured and poor teams. Making the finals was about right over the season as a whole. 

Facing both Poole and Somerset, we were up against it whether we had a full team or not. 

To put things into perspective, our away average is 38.86. Home average of 49.01. Gap of -4.26 points 

So, on a knock out format we average a defeat.

Poole 48.23 (h)

Poole 40.85 (a)

Gap of -1.84

Over the season Poole were the stronger team head to head and justify their league title regardless of league position. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

Where's that come from? Most we went unbeaten was 7. 3 of those was an injury ravaged Wolverhampton team  double header, Leicester away so not really an impressive run.

Either side of our run of wins, apparently as "the in form team" we went to both Poole and Somerset and scored 29 points. Yes we had guests at Somerset but 29 points, REALLY??

The 2 main rivals in both competitions at the business end of the season we fell short.

MPT is not the reason we didn't win the league or KO Cup. As a team we weren't good enough and it's unbelievable how delusional Stars fans became about the team we had.

Against good sides our middle order disappeared. MPT only had 1 exceptional meeting against an injury ravaged Belle Vue. No great shakes hey?

Stars fans, really look back through the season and you'll see we were fortunate to finish top. We were fortunate to face an injured Belle Vue side in the Play-Off semi-final. 

Some say I'm over the top with my criticism of the team. I'm not at all, just see the bigger picture. Review with an open mind. I'm only highly critical of the management team. 

King's Lynn had a very very fortunate end to the season meeting badly injured and poor teams. Making the finals was about right over the season as a whole. 

Facing both Poole and Somerset, we were up against it whether we had a full team or not. 

To put things into perspective, our away average is 38.86. Home average of 49.01. Gap of -4.26 points 

So, on a knock out format we average a defeat.

Poole 48.23 (h)

Poole 40.85 (a)

Gap of -1.84

Over the season Poole were the stronger team head to head and justify their league title regardless of league position. 

You really are a bitter,bitter person towards Kings lynn now aren't you.Best home record and away record in the league yet we are lucky.Guess we are the only team to face teams who have had riders missing,no didn't think so.

And yes we did miss MPT,god even some Poole fans have said that SS and L.Collette excluded.MPT doesn't always score big like he did at Belle Vue but he is consisitent and always scores 6-7.

So we were fortunate to meet badly injured and poor teams,but yet a team met us when we were badly injured and that is different in your book.You really do confuse me now Danny with your jumbled up posts.

1 hour ago, tellboy said:

You really are a bitter,bitter person towards Kings lynn now aren't you.Best home record and away record in the league yet we are lucky.Guess we are the only team to face teams who have had riders missing,no didn't think so.

And yes we did miss MPT,god even some Poole fans have said that SS and L.Collette excluded.MPT doesn't always score big like he did at Belle Vue but he is consisitent and always scores 6-7.

So we were fortunate to meet badly injured and poor teams,but yet a team met us when we were badly injured and that is different in your book.You really do confuse me now Danny with your jumbled up posts.

Where have I ever said you haven't missed MPT, you don't half make some rubbish up sometimes. 

4 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Where have I ever said you haven't missed MPT, you don't half make some rubbish up sometimes. 

X5eAePnLKJzqLhL8DwYgpTJHR80H8CTAKdfPyy-X

3 hours ago, tellboy said:

So we were fortunate to meet badly injured and poor teams,but yet a team met us when we were badly injured and that is different in your book.You really do confuse me now Danny with your jumbled up posts.

Not bitter towards the team, only the management as I've said. Will continue to follow the team away from home.

I've never said MPT wasn't missed. But he simply isn't the reason we went trophyless. 

Have the best home and away record doesn't tell the whole story. Statistically, on a head to head basis (which the Play-Offs are) we are actually a pretty poor side. The facts don't lie. This is where we became unstuck. Our team as a team actually wasn't all that when it came to knock out. What of that isn't easy to understand??

When you work out all the statistics on every team, man for man, as a team, home v away etc the table is very different. We actually finish 3rd. Top 2 are Poole and Belle Vue and Belle Vue 4th.

As I said, King's Lynn making the finals was about right. Statistics show that head to head, even with full 1-7's King's Lynn were not at the same level as Poole or Somerset. Statistics can not be denied. 

Where King's Lynn lost out was at No7, and no back up to Robert Lambert. During league meetings, to remain in the fixtures R.Lambert rode 90% of our TR's. You can't get away from the fact that for a team to finish top of the league and have an away average of less than 39 is pretty poor and that how we never got over the line in the knock out competitions. MPT being missing didn't mean titles were in the bag. Head to head we are a weaker side than both Poole and Somerset. As statistics show we ended up on the losing side.

When it comes to the team I try to be meaningful rather than bias. Straight up honesty.

2 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

Not bitter towards the team, only the management as I've said. Will continue to follow the team away from home.

I've never said MPT wasn't missed. But he simply isn't the reason we went trophyless. 

Have the best home and away record doesn't tell the whole story. Statistically, on a head to head basis (which the Play-Offs are) we are actually a pretty poor side. The facts don't lie. This is where we became unstuck. Our team as a team actually wasn't all that when it came to knock out. What of that isn't easy to understand??

When you work out all the statistics on every team, man for man, as a team, home v away etc the table is very different. We actually finish 3rd. Top 2 are Poole and Belle Vue and Belle Vue 4th.

As I said, King's Lynn making the finals was about right. Statistics show that head to head, even with full 1-7's King's Lynn were not at the same level as Poole or Somerset. Statistics can not be denied. 

Where King's Lynn lost out was at No7, and no back up to Robert Lambert. During league meetings, to remain in the fixtures R.Lambert rode 90% of our TR's. You can't get away from the fact that for a team to finish top of the league and have an away average of less than 39 is pretty poor and that how we never got over the line in the knock out competitions. MPT being missing didn't mean titles were in the bag. Head to head we are a weaker side than both Poole and Somerset. As statistics show we ended up on the losing side.

When it comes to the team I try to be meaningful rather than bias. Straight up honesty.

Really don't get how you think we actually finish 3rd:blink:.Next you will be telling me my other team Man Utd are really top:shock:.We finished top of the league with an away average of 41.5

• Like 1

On 10/20/2018 at 4:45 PM, tellboy said:

I just wanted to quote this post to extend the thread by a few pages

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, iainb said:

I just wanted to quote this post to extend the thread by a few pages

He probably filled that area with abuse then thought better of it and deleted it.