British Speedway Forum
topaz325

Workington v Glasgow 14/10/18 7:30pm Play off.

11 minutes ago, cinderfella said:

Now here's one for you to ponder over - Any team that reached the play-off couldn't use a guest from another team that reached the play-off. Glasgow are now out so do Glasgow rider become eligible to take guest bookings again?

I've asked that question too , but it seems not . Had to be a rider from a non qualifying team , even if one of the top 4 is out . That only applies to your title play off final though 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, David1970 said:

Harris was a joke has been all season only started racing when Craig Cook came on board, big name big let down... 

Oh Yes I concur with The Glasgaw fans. Harris was more Bummer than Bomber for Rye House if he missed the gate he was just "swaning "around in third place (8 matches top score of about 7), so watching his performances for Poole was @.+~. Lost all respect for the man.

p.s. I couldn't understand how every year in the Fantasy Speedway League he always started with an average in the 7s, could it be that he would cherry pick his matches at the end of the previous season to reduce his average and then become more employable next year (very good for Harris not so good for the paying customers who attended those meetings).

9 hours ago, magnus said:

A bit off topic but....

Comets face Lakeside in a double header on Saturday and it still leaves two other finals they have to ride for. Whats the situation and the potential facility on offer to Workington, should time run out and they are unavailable, due to having to go home and try to qualify for another season back in British Speedway 2019. (Please don't say NL guest, as that will make an absolute mockery to British Speedway)...

As it stands at present if Ty doesn't reach the number of points required in the Lakeside league match to take his average above 7 then he will potentially need to go home to race in the Australian championships and if he does need to go home along with Mason then both will be deemed to be with-holing their services and  Workington will receive a facility as per the rule book. So rider average or average + 5% at home for each rider. However the added problem to this is most riders have packed up for the season so the choice of guest is severely limited and of course next year the two returning Aussie riders (should they qualify) will receive 28 day bans for the start of next season. However there will be (sorry Jenga) ""more to follow" on this as I can see it developing further and the league match has to run no matter how meaningless people perceive this meeting to be.

8 hours ago, cinderfella said:

Considering the 2nd meeting in the double header is effectively a meaningless match as it is the normal league meeting surely it would make more sense to have Scunny as visitor for the KO Cup Final?
Then of course if the actual league match didn't go ahead Worky would undoubtedly face sanctions for not finishing their matches in a competition in which they reached the final without having to have completed all their league matches.
Only in British speedway lol 

Eh!!! considering the Scottish Cup was a "meaningless match" on Friday the 5th of October and then Glasgow flatly refused to come to Workington on Saturday the 6th of October "surely" it would have made more sense to have the Play Off matches that weekend, especially when it was warm and sunny allowing Workington another weekend to fit their fixtures in, or at least the 6th at Derwent Park and the one meeting on Sunday the 14th at Ashfield rather than Glasgow  prevaricating and procrastinating trying to "buy time" for an injured rider, on an ever diminishing time scale, but alas time stops for no man and certainly cant be bought. Isn't Karma a bitch!!!.

Pity the match wasn't run the previous week in the sunshine without the track pre-soaking and who knows the result may have been totally different as the weather had a major bearing on both meetings in my opinion. However on a glorious late Autumn day up at Ashfield which was more like a "Tatty Field" with deep wet shale on a heavily rutted surface, that at one point, this wet shale built up and stuck so fast behind Rasser's spark plug that it pushed the cap off causing his engine failure, and caused most of the riders no amount of problems with the "grippy" surface. Then back to Derwent Park that due to its clay make up meant that the surface was really slick and resulted in a "gater's" paradise with all the riders chasing the same line which definitely impacted on the result

But then again as this only happens in British speedway LOL here's an daft idea!!! Due to Glasgow not accepting any of the dates proposed by Workington and they will potentially be the main reason "the actual league match didn't go ahead" and "Worky who would undoubtedly face sanctions for not finishing their matches in a competition in which they reached the final without having to have completed all their league matches" Glasgow can meet any sanctions or fines levied eh? now that's fair isn't it?

Regards
THJ

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Harris is comfortable earning an nice living out of the sport.

12 hours ago, MD said:

He's been more than comfortable at our expense this year and now represents good value to his 2019 Championship employer.

Chris stated earlier in the season when Rye went under that he was seriously considering his position and if Poole hadn't come in for him he would have given serious consideration to hanging up his "Racing Jacket"  

If doubling up goes next year and "one big league" will put pay to that, then I believe you will see some of the "older guys" retiring fully from the sport. Many of the top riders rely on racing for two, three or four teams to earn a living full time out of the sport and doubling up in the UK was always an easy option for many riders.

Regards
THJ

5 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Chris stated earlier in the season when Rye went under that he was seriously considering his position and if Poole hadn't come in for him he would have given serious consideration to hanging up his "Racing Jacket"  

If doubling up goes next year and "one big league" will put pay to that, then I believe you will see some of the "older guys" retiring fully from the sport. Many of the top riders rely on racing for two, three or four teams to earn a living full time out of the sport and doubling up in the UK was always an easy option for many riders.

Regards
THJ

Welcome back THJ..........you make good reading....or there again it's scary stuff for us Comets devotees.

Three finals with no time to arrange them all.....with important team members not going to be available?

It should never be like this............but speedway is in a league of it's own when it comes to self destruction.

• Like 3

Honestly

While I am on a role I will tell you something else that boiled my bladder a tad, that was seeing Cami Brown walking down the track whilst Rasser was being attended to after his fall and Cami having a go at "Staring Marshall George" berating him for what he though as George having a go at his riders whilst sitting at the start.

Surely he should have been ringing the referee not standing over "laal George" pointing and poking, no one likes a bully, However the best laugh was Cami had a go at Ty in the pits at Ashfield and 5 foot 6 and 9 stone soaking wet Ty stood up to 6 foot 4 and 22 stone Cami when debating the "state of the track" which Ty was less than impressed with and Cami definitely dropped his bottle and even went crying to Jacko at one point PMSL, made of feisty stuff these little Aussies

Regards
THJ

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Regards
THJ

Horse and Cart, Cart and Horse - If Harris had put in proper commitment at Rye House then maybe just maybe the club would have kept the number of fans from the previous year and then the club would not have closed and then he would have earned more.

But without tracks there is NO earnings for riders so promote your sport lads or get a part-time job to support your hobby.

NO RIDER HAS A DIVINE RIGHT TO RIDE FULL TIME UNLESS THE SPORT MAKES ENOUGH MONEY TO SUPPORT THEM TO DO SO (i.e Grasstrack)

Edited by Rayleigh
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Rayleigh said:

Horse and Cart, Cart and Horse - If Harris had put in proper commitment at Rye House then maybe just maybe the club would have kept the number of fans from the previous year and then the club not have closed and then he would have earned more.

But without tracks there is NO earnings for riders so promote your sport lads or get a part-time job to support your hobby.

NO RIDER HAS A DIVINE RIGHT TO RIDE FULL TIME UNLESS THE SPORT MAKES ENOUGH MONEY TO SUPPORT THEM TO DO SO (Grasstrack)

Have the Rye riders had any of the money owed yet?.....

5 minutes ago, Rayleigh said:

Horse and Cart, Cart and Horse - If Harris had put in proper commitment at Rye House then maybe just maybe the club would have kept the number of fans from the previous year and then the club would not have closed and then he would have earned more.

NO RIDER HAS A DIVINE RIGHT TO RIDE FULL TIME UNLESS THE SPORT MAKES ENOUGH MONEY TO SUPPORT THEM TO DO SO (i.e Grasstrack)

Some riders can't see the wood for the trees though.....and that's awful of the famous Bomber if indeed he was an influence in Rye's closure.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rayleigh said:

Horse and Cart, Cart and Horse - If Harris had put in proper commitment at Rye House then maybe just maybe the club would have kept the number of fans from the previous year and then the club not have closed and then he would have earned more.

NO RIDER HAS A DIVINE RIGHT TO RIDE FULL TIME UNLESS THE SPORT MAKES ENOUGH MONEY TO SUPPORT THEM TO DO SO (Grasstrack)

Do not disagree whatsoever, what's Chris now 36? Robbo has just called it a day! I think many of these guys who are getting to an age will call it quits, rather than race in one league for one team, which is sad as they still have in my opinion a great deal to offer, however will their ego's stop them from going "part time" or "semi professional" for want of a better phrase, I don't honestly know but it will be interesting to see what happens next year

Regards
THJ

6 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Do not disagree whatsoever, what's Chris now 36? Robbo has just called it a day! I think many of these guys who are getting to an age will call it quits, rather than race in one league for one team, which is sad as they still have in my opinion a great deal to offer, however will their ego's stop them from going "part time" or "semi professional" for want of a better phrase, I don't honestly know but it will be interesting to see what happens next year

Regards
THJ

British Speedway will be a much poorer place without Harris riding in it.  Chris wants to do with gp qualifers and so on next season, so be very surprised if he suddenly quits!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Regards
THJ

One league is certainly gonna see off many veterans.

Must be an awful decision to make having enjoyed the thrills of such a dangerous sport........could always get a job with Deliveroo though - express service guaranteed.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

British Speedway will be a much poorer place without Harris riding in it.  Chris wants to do with gp qualifers and so on next season, so be very surprised if he suddenly quits!

not if he rode like he did @ workington on Saturday . he needs to lose a stone, at lease and get back into racing fitness , if he wants to carry on .....  way too many Cornish pasties as i see it ....  growing a beard will not hide those chins . 

with regards cami brow , his go @ the starting marshalls was pure class . but it should have been left in the circus ring . cant see him being @ Glasgow next year .. unless HE pays to do the job .thats how i see it . Chris has beed really good for British speedway , but he  could be near to retiring . I.M.O. 

42 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Honestly

While I am on a role I will tell you something else that boiled my bladder a tad, that was seeing Cami Brown walking down the track whilst Rasser was being attended to after his fall and Cami having a go at "Staring Marshall George" berating him for what he though as George having a go at his riders whilst sitting at the start.

Surely he should have been ringing the referee not standing over "laal George" pointing and poking, no one likes a bully, However the best laugh was Cami had a go at Ty in the pits at Ashfield and 5 foot 6 and 9 stone soaking wet Ty stood up to 6 foot 4 and 22 stone Cami when debating the "state of the track" which Ty was less than impressed with and Cami definitely dropped his bottle and even went crying to Jacko at one point PMSL, made of feisty stuff these little Aussies

Regards
THJ

Glasgow made some serious errors this year but appointing him as manager has to be the biggest mistake in the history of the club.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, singy13 said:

Some riders can't see the wood for the trees though.....and that's awful of the famous Bomber if indeed he was an influence in Rye's closure.

There is no way I'll defend Bumber but was the main reason for Rye's closure not the enforced change of race night which really affected the crowds numbers coming through the gates?