British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
4thbender

What must 2019 bring (speak now or forever hold your peace)

Guest WTF1
22 minutes ago, Eyejay said:

Totally agree re the playoffs. Poole have been declared Premiership Champions despite finishing mid table. Farce. 

I would love to see a new body take over the running of the sport. Currently it is dictated due to certain persons vested interests and the rule book may just as well not exist. If it is to remain run by the current lot, it would be good to have half a dozen or so supporters voted on, to vote for things from a supporters perspective. Not everything, but things like race nights, competition formats etc would benefit from a supporter input. 

As things stand, I am not sure if I will bother next year. I have become very disillusioned with the sport especially with the antics of certain influential people. 

You'll be there like the rest of us suckers,  having started going in 1960 I stopped going in 1990 for personal reasons and I thought I was cleansed and cured but 21 years later from 2011 here I am paying over the odds for a sub standard product that is basically the inmates running the asylum but I'm afraid speedway will never change. 

If you cannot run it properly as a Team Sport then don't...

You will never be a success...

• Like 1

Every year at the AGM the direction of the sport is set by a few looking after their own vested interests.... We are told it will never be ran by an independent body because the promoter's will only want to look out for their own investment.

The ironic thing is that to anyone outside of speedway these investments and assets are basically worth sod all. What the promoter's see as their main assets are in fact self employed.

The only tracks with any real worth are the ones that own their own stadium.

So year on year the clowns who run the show make ever more daft decisions to protect their interests and investment when in actual fact those decisions only reduce the value still further of their investment. 

I'd like to see two leagues one semi pro one amateur and standard equipment so that costs can be lower for all involved. 

This is needed to save the sport here and hopefully in time stability comes in and one league could become pro again. The big goal and the only goal that the BSPA and riders should be looking at over the next 5 years is survival! 

8 hours ago, HerniaWise said:

You'll be there like the rest of us suckers,  having started going in 1960 I stopped going in 1990 for personal reasons and I thought I was cleansed and cured but 21 years later from 2011 here I am paying over the odds for a sub standard product that is basically the inmates running the asylum but I'm afraid speedway will never change. 

Trust me, I think it is unlikely. As you put it we are suckers, and I am fed up with being taken for granted. 

I have been disillusioned with the sport for a while but this year it really has hit a low. I think The shenanigans in the Poole v Kings Lynn play off final where the rule book was openly broken to allow an over the points limit guest beggars belief. That to me is the straw that broke the camels back. 

• Like 1

I'd bring back the green helmet cover

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

from a simple selfish point of view i hope 2019 is the same as 2018 as ive seen some outstanding speedway this year at many tracks,and for 15 or 16 quid ive been very well entertained

the racing at Scunny has been top draw this year,seen excellent meetings on well prepped tracks at Boro,Redcar ,Workington,Sheffield etc, plus the BT sports presentation of the League and the GPs have been tip top,Also enjoyed the unfancied teams emerging this year such and Worky and Berwick [ ill even confess to become a secret Bandits fan toward the end]

only bad meeting ive seen all year was the Swindon dust bowl on TV

i hope the clubs with an uncertain future manage to find solutions and arrive at the tapes next season and entertain me as much as they have this year

• Like 2

Unfortunately speedway in this country is governed by people who  should have seen the warning signs years ago. It could be far too late now to suddenly rectify the problems that we the fans have been concerned about for some considerable time. A big change is needed starting from the top and people who fully understand and appreciate what the sport has to offer should be put in charge. I fear that may now be too late.

6 men teams which would help with doubling up/down. More fixtures.

Something I've always thought about is re-runs starting as a handicap system. How many times do we see a guy last then someone falls and the guy at the back winning the re-run.

I think if one lap of the race has been completed and someone falls the re-run should have the guy who was leading start at the tapes, The guy in 2nd 5 metres away and the 3rd guy 10 metres away.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eyejay said:

Trust me, I think it is unlikely. As you put it we are suckers, and I am fed up with being taken for granted. 

I have been disillusioned with the sport for a while but this year it really has hit a low. I think The shenanigans in the Poole v Kings Lynn play off final where the rule book was openly broken to allow an over the points limit guest beggars belief. That to me is the straw that broke the camels back. 

And just to show how consistent the SCB are they have suspended Willie Dishington for making a mistake in the play Off SF between Belle Vue and Lynn when he incorrectly ruled out Steve Worrall for a heat 15 ride, but appear quite happy for an SCB official to allow Morris to ride for Poole when his average rules him out.

Its wrong and in my view raises questions on the integrity and honesty of the SCB official allowing it.

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

And just to show how consistent the SCB are they have suspended Willie Dishington for making a mistake in the play Off SF between Belle Vue and Lynn when he incorrectly ruled out Steve Worrall for a heat 15 ride, but appear quite happy for an SCB official to allow Morris to ride for Poole when his average rules him out.

Its wrong and in my view raises questions on the integrity and honesty of the SCB official allowing it.

Clearly Willie's face doesn't fit anymore. How can the SCB enforce rules when the Promoters and Management Committee completely disregard them? The truth is the Promoters and Team Managers who drew up the rules don't understand them so clubs are getting away with murder and the officials have to try and work with that.

5 minutes ago, Whisperer said:

Clearly Willie's face doesn't fit anymore. How can the SCB enforce rules when the Promoters and Management Committee completely disregard them? The truth is the Promoters and Team Managers who drew up the rules don't understand them so clubs are getting away with murder and the officials have to try and work with that.

So let Tony Steele & Jim Lawrence rewrite the relevant sections, this has been offered countless times.

There will be no change next year

the ones that want a "premier league" will get their wish and the championship will stay the same along with the national league.

there are likely to be less teams in the top two leagues and doubling up will be back causing more guests and RR as the saviour of fixed race nights has failed

So basically we will be back to 2017 with a reduced number of teams and a reduced  number of supporters with even less teams in 2020.

the only good news for me this year was that the lack of fixtures saved me about £500 compared to last year

• Like 1

3 hours ago, montie said:

from a simple selfish point of view i hope 2019 is the same as 2018 as ive seen some outstanding speedway this year at many tracks,and for 15 or 16 quid ive been very well entertained

the racing at Scunny has been top draw this year,seen excellent meetings on well prepped tracks at Boro,Redcar ,Workington,Sheffield etc, plus the BT sports presentation of the League and the GPs have been tip top,Also enjoyed the unfancied teams emerging this year such and Worky and Berwick

I am glad you have enjoyed your speedway this year, as have I at Workington though our fixture list was a joke (from the outset). However your hopes of 2019 being the same as 2018 is a little naïve to say the least. Not all clubs are in the position to have the likes of stock car racing helping to subsidize speedway or having a fairy godmother to bankroll it. Looking at the bigger picture British speedway is in a perilous position and things need to done sooner rather than later to help safeguard it going forward.

I am sure you'd soon get bored racing against Glasgow 10 times a season home and away.

NB If your comments were tongue in cheek, you got me!

3 hours ago, bigcatdiary said:

Think that shows how corrupt the sport is,yet the 2 teams in the final can make up their own rules.Look at another one When Steve Worrel turn up to ride at Workington as a guest he was told to go home,what would have happened if the 2 Teams concerned Ok it for him to ride,you can bet the sh#t would have hit the fan at the BSPA.They are not one of the "in crowd". Honestly don't know how they are going to sort themes the sport is in. probably" as you were" if they can sucker a team to move up to Premier.