British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
4thbender

What must 2019 bring (speak now or forever hold your peace)

One single league and you can add at least another three clubs to your list of those potentially not running next year. Suddenly you are down to one league of 11 or 12 .

I have been looking at the Polish thread on fixtures & noticed they run from April to September. They run a 8 team division having 14 matches in a 21 week period. They only run twice in June & twice in July (1st & 29th) thus having a break for Speedway Of Nations as it involves the top riders. We could run similar by having an 8 team league only racing on a fixed night of Monday. This takes away the problem of riding on a Wednesday which is the night of the Danish league. We do not have many top riders over here we do not need  the break in July.

We could have 6 man teams thus giving riders 5 rides each earning 25% more than now. If we make it more of a TOP league then lowest average rider is to be not lower than 3.5 or 4. We could use a named squad of 8 or 9 riders with the extra riders only used for injuries rather than a guest system. The team make up would still be based on averages but to 45 as the 15 heats are guaranteed rides. In 2017 & 2018 there have been about 65 riders used with averages of 3.5+.

The Premiership could consist of Belle Vue, Kings Lynn, Leicester, Poole, Somerset, Swindon, Wolverhampton, Ipswich or Peterborough keeping it southern based. 

Make rules much more simple such as tape touching. Straight forward exclusion, no 15m, no replacement as in a better performing reserve. Rider suffers, team suffers.

The Championship is run similar to how it is now but with an increase in numbers with possibly Lakeside/Rye House, Birmingham, Mildenhall, Kent, Eastbourne added to the list.

The National League could consist of the remaining teams plus junior teams from the above leagues

Fixed race nights haven't worked, clubs have lost more money because they ran on traditional non speedway nights.

the only way fixed race nights will work is if we attract new fans who have not known any other race night, think we all know that wont happen

Edited by The Third Man
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, bigcatdiary said:

So let Tony Steele & Jim Lawrence rewrite the relevant sections, this has been offered countless times.

I agree and I'd let them rule on facilities so once the rule book is written the BSPA MC cannot move from it. If everybody knows where they stand they won't keep asking MC for swerves and they'll just get on with it.

Once you have declared your side within whatever points limit/rider numbers, no team changes allowed except for long term injury. R/R to be employed to cover any non availability due to other comitments or injury lasting less than 6 weeks.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, erniew said:

Once you have declared your side within whatever points limit/rider numbers, no team changes allowed except for long term injury. R/R to be employed to cover any non availability due to other comitments or injury lasting less than 6 weeks.

Forget other commitments, injury cover only

1 minute ago, The Third Man said:

Forget other commitments, injury cover only

It sickens me when teams can bring guests in and then win on the strength of it.

Who would make up 'the squad' if you had a squad of 8 or 9 riders and what standard would they be?

As a supporter I want to see two well matched teams go head to head not one full strength team against one containing 2 poor quality National league riders.

I think the guest facility is a plus, so long as promoters do not abuse it and the rule makers insist people abide by the rules.

13 minutes ago, Carlislecomet2 said:

Who would make up 'the squad' if you had a squad of 8 or 9 riders and what standard would they be?

As a supporter I want to see two well matched teams go head to head not one full strength team against one containing 2 poor quality National league riders.

I think the guest facility is a plus, so long as promoters do not abuse it and the rule makers insist people abide by the rules.

Well there are some strong opinions about guests, personally I think they are an abomination, true that under your idea you might see a closer match but it would (to me) seem pretty meaningless and I'm convinced that guests have driven away more people than they've attracted.

• Like 1

Fixed race nights have reduced the number of fixture clashes and therefore I am fairly sure there has been less guests than previous few years. 

3 minutes ago, eric i said:

Fixed race nights have reduced the number of fixture clashes and therefore I am fairly sure there has been less guests than previous few years. 

It has allowed more doubling up though (I always cringe when they say on TV "he also rides for ....").

1. I would say one league, but unfortunately there don't appear to be enough riders. Unless we have six man teams (All premiership teams mainly consist of championship riders).

2. North-south divide to reduce early season travel cost, but at the same time create a two league system. Where the top four in each group could meet in a play off for the league title. 

3. When the split happens for the play off, the lower teams go in to a competition for a shield trophy. 

4. The split mid season for the playoffs would rejuvenate all team supporters, as an influx of new riders/teams would be like starting the season again and give teams something to play for.

5. Start the league at the beginning of the season and keep cup matches etc for the later part of the season, where if the weather intervenes the matches are less important.

Just my thoughts......

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, magnus said:

2. North-south divide to reduce early season travel cost, but at the same time create a two league system. Where the top four in each group could meet in a play off for the league title. 

Doesn't work to reduce costs as riders live all over the country

Doyle lives in Norfolk, Doolan in Sheffield

4 hours ago, foamfence said:

It sickens me when teams can bring guests in and then win on the strength of it.

Followers of any Sport can never complain about a lack of mainstream media coverage when that Sport they follow allows 'horses for courses' ringers to be brought in..

It simply isn't (and can never be) a true sporting contest when teams are contrived and cobbled together, and farcically often done so using competitors who are competing for the same prize..

And there is no way the guest system can be used without the accusations of manipulation..

There is zero chance of any blue chip sponsors getting involved either..

Imagine one of them sponsoring this year's play off final and getting the decision to allow Adam Ellis to ride for both teams explained to them? 

And then later getting told that instead of that ludicrous situation now being allowed, two Swindon team mates will go head to head instead representing both clubs...

This would be a major company who will be having its name associated with such brand damaging carnage...

If theres not enough riders then reduce the number of teams...

Or keep the same number of teams and reduce the number of team places per team..

Either way, you need to have supply exceeding demand to ensure replacements are available, just like in other Sports, (they have injuries too amazingly!)..

Maybe the top league could be ran 'properly' with any replacements needed coming from the lower league?

With the caveat being that once a rider rides for a top league team he cannot ride for any other that season and can only represent that team again if needed..

And on that basis put all the focus on the top league, and try selling it as a bona fide Sporting Championship with the aim to gain media coverage and sponsorship which could have a reflective positive fall out to the other leagues...

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, foamfence said:

But to be fair  teams can also bring in guests and get hammered on the strength of it

• Like 1