British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
4thbender

What must 2019 bring (speak now or forever hold your peace)

54 minutes ago, robbieblackadder fan club said:

First and foremost I thought this forum was about opinions based on the principles of free speech, secondly where in my post do I have a go at Newcastle speedway and thirdly if you had bothered to read this post you would have noticed that someone else has already mentioned one league and I was agreeing, and by the way I also dont get the ss anymore so could not have read the article.

I almost give up. Where did  I try to deny free speech, or say you were having a go at Newcastle? I certainly didn't mean to. And what difference does it make if you were agreeing with what someone else has already said?

Let's stick to the facts, shall we? You say you want to see one big league. In this week's Speedway Star the Newcastle promoter explains that the club wouldn't be able to operate under that system. 

I'm wondering whether you're bothered...you've drifted into watching foreign speedway on tv (presumably it's Poland on Sundays) don't go to BP any longer and don't read the SS so you haven't seen what the promotion are saying; none of that should stop you spending time on here airing your views, of course. 

Edited by Terrace Grumbler
Still can't spell

33 minutes ago, Terrace Grumbler said:

I almost give up. Where did  I try to deny free speech, or say you were having a go at Newcastle? I certainly didn't mean to. And what difference does it make if you were agreeing with what someone else has already said?

Let's stick to the facts, shall we? You say you want to see one big league. In this week's Speedway Star the Newcastle promoter explains that the club wouldn't be able to operate under that system. 

I'm wondering whether you're bothered...you've drifted into watching foreign speedway on tv (presumably it's Poland on Sundays) don't go to BP any longer and don't read the SS so you haven't seen what the promotion are saying; none of that should stop you spending time on here airing your views, of course. 

A lot of other clubs WOULD want it, that's why it has been considered at pre-AGM meetings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Terrace Grumbler said:

of course they would if it was at Div 2 standard

2 hours ago, foamfence said:

A lot of other clubs WOULD want it, that's why it has been considered at pre-AGM meetings.

Charles Darwin had a theory..

For a species or entity to evolve and keep in existence, it is reliant on that species or entity to continually get stronger and develop itself to help prevent its removal from the face of the earth..

To that end, he decided it was the 'Survival of the Fittest' that would lead that species or entity to grow. With the thought process being that the strength of its 'alpha example' would lead the overall continued evolution and growth of the whole species or entity..

Another eminent Scientist, Albert Einstein, suggested that doing the same thing over and over again and each time expecting a different result was actually a sign of insanity...

Both Darwin and Einstein have become revered by millions the world over through their work with their thoughts and findings influencing decision making and positively impacting billions of lives on a daily basis..

However....

British Speedway has a 'better idea' than the ones those two managed to come up with...

'Survival Of The Weakest' and 'There Is No Alternative' being what would appear to be its chief observations and belief....

If I am honest though, I am not entirely convinced Messrs Chapman and Godfrey, (and indeed the many others in charge over the past 20 years or so), will be held up in years to come with quite the same level of esteem and reverence for their ideas that 'Charlie and Bert' have received for theirs....

Maybe 'Quality not Quantity' could be a suggestion they may think about taking on board, as possibly could be 'Less is More'...?

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 4

31 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Charles Darwin had a theory..

For a species or entity to evolve and keep in existence, it is reliant on that species or entity to continually get stronger and develop itself to help prevent its removal from the face of the earth..

To that end, he decided it was the 'Survival of the Fittest' that would lead that species or entity to grow. With the thought process being that the strength of its 'alpha example' would lead the overall continued evolution and growth of the whole species or entity..

Another eminent Scientist, Albert Einstein, suggested that doing the same thing over and over again and each time expecting a different result was actually a sign of insanity...

Both Darwin and Einstein have become revered by millions the world over through their work with their thoughts and findings influencing decision making and positively impacting billions of lives on a daily basis..

However....

British Speedway has a 'better idea' than the ones those two managed to come up with...

'Survival Of The Weakest' and 'There Is No Alternative' being what would appear to be its chief observations and belief....

If I am honest though, I am not entirely convinced Messrs Chapman and Godfrey, (and indeed the many others in charge over the past 20 years or so), will be held up in years to come with quite the same level of esteem and reverence for their ideas that 'Charlie and Bert' have received for theirs....

Maybe 'Quality not Quantity' could be a suggestion they may think about taking on board, as possibly could be 'Less is More'...?

I agree  with Einstein, and it seems we are going to go back to 2017 and hope it works this time, but survival of the fittest will result in only one team being left wont it?

17 minutes ago, The Third Man said:

but survival of the fittest will result in only one team being left wont it?

Yes, but there will be a lot less fixture congestion.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

And no doubling up.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ruffdiamond said:

I admire your optimism..

We will still be running finals on cold, dark rainy nights in October...:D:rolleyes:

Edited by mikebv

39 minutes ago, RS50 said:

And no doubling up.

But I bet they still will use guests...:rolleyes::D

21 minutes ago, mikebv said:

But I bet they still will use guests...:rolleyes::D

Won't be any guests available.

22 minutes ago, RS50 said:

Won't be any guests available.

Maybe there will,,,, one club can have all the riders and many teams, A B C etc. They can run any day of the week (apart from Sunday). There will be no home advantage, all guests will be 'track ponies', the one promotion can make all the profit until they squeeze everything out of the tube.

The end. The patient has suffered enough and is now terminally ill....

2 hours ago, The Third Man said:

I agree  with Einstein, and it seems we are going to go back to 2017 and hope it works this time, but survival of the fittest will result in only one team being left wont it?

Not at all...

Unless it is allowed to by an operating model bordering on insanity. (That word again)...

Nature and Economics both have a way of naturally culling populations and businesses whose numbers are too great and pose a threat to their very existence if not checked...

Speedway needs to have a strong top league, ran with credibility and integrity,  to attract crowds...

Do that and it gives itself at least a chance of a greater amount of sponsors, and that so important national mainstream media coverage...

With that sponsorship and media coverage will then grow more awareness, and ultimately, more fans..

A virtuous circle having been completed...

In football for example, the EFL lives off the coat tails of the Premier League...

The huge focus on the PL naturally permeates down to the secondary competitions and they then can exist positively in some of this reflective focus..

If the PL allowed guests/ringers, and allowed competitors to appear each week for any amount of teams, and then allowed them to have more than one contracted club, it would be (quite rightly) regarded as being contrived and Mickey Mouse...

And I can guarantee, enjoy nowhere near the same level of financial rewards or coverage it has today..

With the lower leagues enjoying nowhere near the same reflective spin offs it currently has..

In short, the overall entity of Football has become a 'behemoth' in England, but if ran like British Speedway, it would not be anywhere near the size it has evolved into...

In Speedway the Premiership should be clearly seen as the 'alpha league', the pinnacle for every team to aspire to be in....

Therefore. Get this league right, run it properly, and put all the resource you can in pushing it out to the public, many of whom are currently oblivious to its existence..

Speedway will never evolve, grow and get stronger when riders can ride for teams in various divisions as there is simply no aspiration to get to the top. Which means the top league will never be a true pinnacle.. 

As an example. Craig Cook this year has rode for Glasgow and Belle Vue, therefore what is Glasgows motivation for moving up? They already have a top ten Premiership rider riding for them in the 2nd Divison so why bother moving out of this league?

And for Craig himself, where is his 'growth' going to come from? He will never evolve as a rider by dropping down a level to take on lesser opponents. He has been there and done that so at best will stagnate..

No criticism intended of Craig Cook by the way, as I feel the more riders with Craig's commitment and attitude to British Speedway the better the sport will be. However he should be evolving as a rider not stagnating, or even regressing..

Get the top league ran with credibility and integrity to the best level the teams in at can afford and push this to the awaiting populous..

Give any marketing budget and media focus to these teams in this league and let them be the standard bearers for all other tracks to aspire to..

Then develop clear opportunity for promotion to this league, and through all leagues, so clubs of all levels can show the required ambition to individually better themselves through natural evolutionary growth..

Or, at least be able to participate at their natural level of capability..

Simply. Without evolutionary growth, the Sport can, and will, never move forward..

Without aspirational opportunity, no evolutionary growth can even take place and you will stagnate..

And if you stagnate, eventually you will wither and die..

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 3

Depending on the number of teams involved this years, certain issues need addressing. If we start with a shield it is run to a conclusion as soon as possible. Fixture dates could double up ie having one date for 2 competitions. If on that date, any team is involved in the shield then it takes priority. If not it becomes a league fixture. The league is run to a conclusion, league winners & no play- offs. The end of season is the KO Cup meaning more teams & riders are involved for a longer period.

SIMPLES !!!!

• Like 1

The BSPA should answer the questions about the fixture debacle, this year , well other years to but they seem destined to close tracks rather than try and help them , surprisingly it’s their own business they are destroying, couldn’t make it up!