British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
4thbender

What must 2019 bring (speak now or forever hold your peace)

1 hour ago, customhouseregular said:

I heard a whisper there will be 2 Irish riders in the Championship in 2019.

Could be Nick Knack and Paddy Wack.

come on , leave the dog out of it .but HONESTLY  , it would be good for them to have some competition at the gate for sarj . . sarj counts to two and goes ... the  other cant count at all .. 

i got my info from a mini mars bar !

Edited by jenga

14 minutes ago, jenga said:

come on , leave the dog out of it .but HONESTLY  , it would be good for them to have some competition at the gate for sarj . . sarj counts to two and goes ... the  other cant count at all .. 

i got my info from a mini mars bar !

Your obsession with Sarjeant is pretty boring now , if you want to fantasize about him thats your prerogative but do it in front of the mirror in private and spare us the obsession.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

aye , yer prob right , but if your lot had not sighed him i would not be going on about it .

he sold your lot a dummy and he truly was . no more from me then, we have all learned from the past two seasons eh .

On 10/20/2018 at 5:01 PM, jenga said:

aye , yer prob right , but if your lot had not sighed him i would not be going on about it .

he sold your lot a dummy and he truly was . no more from me then, we have all learned from the past two seasons eh .

Please do keep to your word and let us have "no more from you" unless of course it's sensible comment about real things happening at speedway matches or about how speedway is organised. Show us that you have learnt from the past two seasons and your ups and downs at speedway during them. As you claim to enjoy speedway so much, why not relax and enjoy it.

• Like 1

OK I dunno if this is a dumb idea or been considered before (I'm newly back into speedway after living abroad)

I'll take the championship as an example.

Currently the team limit is 42.5

I would suggest that any team from 2018 is allowed to keep their same team regardless of how their riders averages have improved.

If they replace a rider:

• if the current team average is above 42.5, then the new rider must be lower than the leaving rider. (so team average could possibly still be above 42.5)
  • if the current teams average is below 42.5 then they can replace however they like, as long as the new average is at/below 42.5

The idea behind this is that it would be better if we don't have to break up successful teams and should be able to get some consistency in teams instead of the merry-go-round of riderrs to teams and teams have motivation to improve and keep riders without having to then ditch a rider if they improve too much due to team average.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Godzilla said:

OK I dunno if this is a dumb idea or been considered before (I'm newly back into speedway after living abroad)

I'll take the championship as an example.

Currently the team limit is 42.5

I would suggest that any team from 2018 is allowed to keep their same team regardless of how their riders averages have improved.

If they replace a rider:

• if the current team average is above 42.5, then the new rider must be lower than the leaving rider. (so team average could possibly still be above 42.5)
  • if the current teams average is below 42.5 then they can replace however they like, as long as the new average is at/below 42.5

The idea behind this is that it would be better if we don't have to break up successful teams and should be able to get some consistency in teams instead of the merry-go-round of riderrs to teams and teams have motivation to improve and keep riders without having to then ditch a rider if they improve too much due to team average.

Like the idea of allowing continuity but surely if a team is averaging 45 and can replace a 7 point rider with a 7 point rider it would be unfair to only allow a team averaging 40 to build back to 42.5

Perhaps allow all teams to build to the total of the highest averaging team instead

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Like the idea of allowing continuity but surely if a team is averaging 45 and can replace a 7 point rider with a 7 point rider it would be unfair to only allow a team averaging 40 to build back to 42.5

Perhaps allow all teams to build to the total of the highest averaging team instead

Problem with that to me is it ends up with ever inflated team averages and no incentive to bring in lower scoring riders and build them up.
E.g. for comets there would be no reason to keep Kyle Bickley (apart from we love him) if we suddenly could bring in someone with a 5 point average.

Maybe I'm wrong though, maybe it would plateau out in the mid-40s.

Edited by Godzilla

On 10/22/2018 at 7:09 AM, waytogo28 said:

Please do keep to your word and let us have "no more from you" unless of course it's sensible comment about real things happening at speedway matches or about how speedway is organised. Show us that you have learnt from the past two seasons and your ups and downs at speedway during them. As you claim to enjoy speedway so much, why not relax and enjoy it.

Could argue that you and mikebv should also follow suit.

Edited by Tsunami

24 minutes ago, Godzilla said:

Problem with that to me is it ends up with ever inflated team averages and no incentive to bring in lower scoring riders and build them up.
E.g. for comets there would be no reason to keep Kyle Bickley (apart from we love him) if we suddenly could bring in someone with a 5 point average.

no reason to keep bickers , you are jokin . (no g ) still only 16 and was an honour to watch him develop . lets see if the goonies muck it up again . how many last chances do they (bspa/scb) need  ?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Godzilla said:

It would plateau out

Even if you had 11 teams starting out at 45 at the end if the year the average team total woukd be around 42.5

The overall quality would rise with the same riders seeing their average fall marginally for the equivalent performance

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, jenga said:

no reason to keep bickers , you are jokin . (no g ) still only 16 and was an honour to watch him develop . lets see if the goonies muck it up again . how many last chances do they (bspa/scb) need  ?

You're missing my point. I could have picked any comet - the point being that if we suddenly were able to increase our average by 3 points then we are being incentivised to break up a team instead of improving the riders.

Edited by Godzilla

If you're still attending regularly, surely it shouldn't be you the promoters want ideas from. It's new or lost fans.

1 hour ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

I quite like this idea, because as you say the limit would probably even itself out rather than keep on escalating.

One of my pet hates is the thought that some riders (hard to believe I know) deliberately try to lower their averages to make themselves more attractive to other teams. Would this help prevent that from happening or not, I'm not sure.

On the other hand the fact that the top team(s) have to rejig their line ups each year helps prevent the same teams dominating and keeps things fresh. The annual merry go round of riders is also one of the most exciting times for the supporters too.

Having said that how many teams would want to retain their entire 1-7 (apart from us of course).

I think I have contradicted myself at least 4 times, I'll get my coat.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Tsunami said:

about how speedway is organised.

14 hours ago, Tsunami said:

Could argue that you and mikebv should also follow suit.

Yes, you could but I think what you mean is that my ( and others ) views about "how speedway is organised" are merely different to yours. I have no intention of arguing about it and I realise that you have a much more intimate knowledge of how it has been organised in the past. However it is clear that much of how that was done has turned out badly for speedway in the UK,

As an idea for encouraging team continuity; how about allowing a discount on rider averages for team building purposes if a rider stays at the same club for the new season. For example a rider finishes with an average of 7.49. If he stays with same club then a discount of half a point is given for team building purposes. His average becomes 6.99 if he stays put, but remains 7.49 if he changes teams. Even if the entire team is retained the total benefit is just 3.5 points. Not enough to unbalance the league, but enough to encourage retaining riders.  

• Like 3