British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
4thbender

What must 2019 bring (speak now or forever hold your peace)

48 minutes ago, The Third Man said:

That's not how it works

averages are based on each rider having four rides

by heat 14 there has been 28 rides, that is 7 riders x 4 rides = 28 rides = 14 heats = 14 x average 3 points per heat = 42 points therefore a combined team average of 42.5 points will win the match

hopefully that explains how averages work

This should be a header on some threads, for the number of times it has to be explained at the beginning and end of every season. :rolleyes::P

• Like 1

Guest WTF1
4 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

This should be a header on some threads, for the number of times it has to be explained at the beginning and end of every season. :rolleyes::P

Whatever

56 minutes ago, HerniaWise said:

Whatever

A thick as rubbish response. :approve:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tsunami said:

You have been involved with speedway stuff for a while,,, how many times does a lot of things need be explained ???

Have you played the 'song title game' ?,,, honestly, some are as thick as mince ;)

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

You have been involved with speedway stuff for a while,,, how many times does a lot of things need be explained ???

Have you played the 'song title game' ?,,, honestly, some are as thick as mince ;)

I did notice you were on it quite a lot. :o:approve:

• Haha 1

Guest WTF1
3 hours ago, ruffdiamond said:

Whatever, That's nice. 

Edited by WTF1

14 hours ago, HerniaWise said:

Whatever

Thanks for informed reply, does it mean you now understand or not?

• Like 2

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 1:19 AM, BluPanther said:

Will never happen, it's dying a death and there is no way back ...

They said that about rugby league in the 1980s; they said it about cricket for decades; in 2015 it was alleged (by none other than Damon Hill) that Formula 1 was dying. Every sport has a 'BluPanther' who tells everyone else what can't be done. The truth is, if we all listened to nature's 'BluPanthers' they'd probably be proved right.

It's lucky for us there are still people with drive, commitment and ideas. I'll throw my lot in with the latter.

1 minute ago, 4thbender said:

They said that about rugby league in the 1980s; they said it about cricket for decades; in 2015 it was alleged (by none other than Damon Hill) that Formula 1 was dying. Every sport has a 'BluPanther' who tells everyone else what can't be done. The truth is, if we all listened to nature's 'BluPanthers' they'd probably be proved right.

It's lucky for us there are still people with drive, commitment and ideas. I'll throw my lot in with the latter.

You are deluded chap, nothing can be done to save a sport that delivers only 15 mins of action over two hours. They find it boring, it's that simple...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BluPanther said:

You are deluded chap, nothing can be done to save a sport that delivers only 15 mins of action over two hours. They find it boring, it's that simple...

I'm inclined to agree.  Not about the chap being deluded but about 15 mins action in 2 hours being viewed as boring.  If I went to a gig and heard 5 (3 minute) songs in two hours I'd not go again.

So is the answer more heats per meeting?  Say 20 or 24? Could solve the problem of doubling up if each rider had extra rides per meeting?  But the ticket price would need to rise and whilst it's not unusual to charge more for a better product it would be a bold move.

Or more simplistically run 15 heats in an hour.....      …..but then there's a danger interval sales of Bovril would decrease.

Until promoters realise the product is flawed in a society in which most things are instant they'll only ever be re-arranging deck chairs on the Titanic.  At least they acknowledged it last season with heats supposedly starting within 2 minutes of the previous but I still spent an awful lot of time watching tractors which didn't appear to have any material effect on the standard of racing. 

With the lack of shale on most tracks..they like to appear to be doing something constructive,,,But if there is no dirt they are doing nothing except making meetings drag on going round and round on tractors...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, enotian said:

Until promoters realise the product is flawed in a society in which most things are instant they'll only ever be re-arranging deck chairs on the Titanic.  At least they acknowledged it last season with heats supposedly starting within 2 minutes of the previous but I still spent an awful lot of time watching tractors which didn't appear to have any material effect on the standard of racing. 

So, will enlightenment reach the promoters this week? Time to hold your breath and hope it seems. Cross your fingers too or even pray as I do.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, enotian said:

I'm inclined to agree.  Not about the chap being deluded but about 15 mins action in 2 hours being viewed as boring.  If I went to a gig and heard 5 (3 minute) songs in two hours I'd not go again.

So is the answer more heats per meeting?  Say 20 or 24? Could solve the problem of doubling up if each rider had extra rides per meeting?  But the ticket price would need to rise and whilst it's not unusual to charge more for a better product it would be a bold move.

Or more simplistically run 15 heats in an hour.....      …..but then there's a danger interval sales of Bovril would decrease.

The actual racing itself is, for me, as good as I have watched.. (48 years a fan)

Maybe not lots of passing (was there really ever?), but most races are at least competitive from front to back as the riders are mostly of a reasonably similar standard. (Out of their depth 'Wobblers' are now pretty much a thing of the past)..

So, the 'core product' passes the test..

Sadly. All the rest of the 'show' completely undermines it....

From the ridiculously allowed contrived septets riding against other contrived septets almost nightly, through to an overall entertainment package that belongs in 'The Wheel Tappers and Shunters Working Men's Club' (look it up or ask your grandad). The sport (in Britian) is strangling itself...

Let's be honest, NONE of the three leagues have any credibility therefore what is the point of running the sport as a Team Sport? Simply, you can never hope to engage your local potential customers to buy into 'their team' when invariably it changes each week and no longer is 'their team'. So why still run the sport that way? You will have very little chance of ever being successful at the turnstiles..

So. Maybe now it's time to run less meetings, with more races per meeting. At weekends...

Maybe run individual competitions over three days at the same track Friday, Saturday and Sunday two or three times a season? 

Different Comps from kids level through to different graded levels from NL standard up to 'expert'?. 

Friday and Saturday being qualifiers to the main event on Sunday...

Or, if you want to cling on to a team Speedway concept, run a one off National Comp in one venue the same way over three days. Bringing maybe three riders per team in a best pairs type competition....

What is happening simply isn't working so do something different....

And several well promoted, well planned, sensibly priced, well sponsored financially, Festivals Of Speedway' around the Country, all rode in front of decent crowds of several thousand rather than 'one man and his dog', has to be more positive for the sport in terms of awareness and positive branding than the, quite frankly, complete nonsense, that is currently getting served up and masquerading as a bona fide sporting competition...

There are many many more thousands of ex fans of domestic speedway who attend Cardiff I would suggest, than the total amount of fans who do attend domestic speedway each week....

And there are many many more thousands than that who 'used to go' but no longer attend speedway at all..

Therefore, there is still a big market out there if it can be persuaded to come back...

The racing itself can be fantastic, so Speedway in Britain needs to just find a way of doing it justice..

And the current way of doing it won't manage to do that..

Not a chance...

17 hours ago, BluPanther said:

For a sport that delivers only 15 minutes of action, it's rather remarkable that it celebrated its 90th birthday in February 2018. Don't you think that the paying punters should have twigged by now?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BluPanther said:

Obviously the supporters in Poland are stupid then, or they don't get as easily bored as they do in England

Edited by The Third Man