British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
4thbender

What must 2019 bring (speak now or forever hold your peace)

17 hours ago, BluPanther said:

You are deluded chap, nothing can be done to save a sport that delivers only 15 mins of action over two hours. They find it boring, it's that simple...

horse racing is having an upsurge in attendance etc and you could argue that at a flat meeting there could be 6 races of 2-3 mins each or less,they fill the dead time and provide other on course attractions,also provide comfort and usually excellent food

• Like 2

1 hour ago, poole keith said:

horse racing is having an upsurge in attendance etc and you could argue that at a flat meeting there could be 6 races of 2-3 mins each or less,they fill the dead time and provide other on course attractions,also provide comfort and usually excellent food

I have an incline that many fans of horse racing, attend because they can have a flutter, it kills a bit of time between races, etc.

I'm not sure that I would attend race meetings, just to watch horses run around a field with white barriers and some with some bushes to jump over.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, poole keith said:

That's very true Keith, there are also large amounts of alcohol consumed which seems to make the day more pleasant for many race goers  :D

4 hours ago, The Third Man said:

Obviously the supporters in Poland are stupid then, or they don't get as easily bored as they do in England

They know that Sundays is the prime day for Speedway, it encourages families to attend and creates a younger and more sustainable fan base...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BluPanther said:

They know that Sundays is the prime day for Speedway, it encourages families to attend and creates a younger and more sustainable fan base...

Is that why Glasgow swapped to Friday, so they could lose fans and money?

30 minutes ago, The Third Man said:

Is that why Glasgow swapped to Friday, so they could lose fans and money?

No idea why, maybe a Glasgow supporter could enlighten us on that one ...

13 hours ago, BluPanther said:

Primarily it was rider availability with there overseas commitments that made a Friday the preferred choice.

Edited by Gazc
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BluPanther said:

I preferred the Sunday meetings , but the amount of speedway abroad , long track and grass track , makes attracting riders to Glasgow all the more difficult for a Sunday these days 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Paulco said:

I preferred the Sunday meetings , but the amount of speedway abroad , long track and grass track , makes attracting riders to Glasgow all the more difficult for a Sunday these days 

So  rider power or did Glasgow hope for more fans on Friday nights ?

41 minutes ago, topaz325 said:

So  rider power or did Glasgow hope for more fans on Friday nights ?

Probably a bit of both . The owners have been pushing for Friday nights ever since they took over the club . But to be honest i dont see any significant increase in crowd levels compared to a Sunday afternoon . We have probably hit the ceiling of what size of crowd speedway in Glasgow can attract now , regardless of which day we have our meetings . 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, The Third Man said:

Obviously the supporters in Poland are stupid then, or they don't get as easily bored as they do in England

Neither! in Poland speedway is run as a proper professional team sport promotion relegation riders on riding for one team and no guests. Then add in sponsorship tv rights press coverage speedway in Poland becomes something that people want to attend and be involved in unlike here where its seen like the embarrassing uncle at Christmas. 

• Like 3

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 4:24 PM, BluPanther said:

If speedway in Poland can encourage families to attend and a younger fan base can be created, is there any reason why the UK can't emulate their success? 

40 minutes ago, 4thbender said:

If speedway in Poland can encourage families to attend and a younger fan base can be created, is there any reason why the UK can't emulate their success? 

Running on a weekend would be essential to make that happen, and that's very unlikely. I don't know the answer, and i doubt if there is one tbh ...

1 hour ago, 4thbender said:

19 minutes ago, BluPanther said:

Running on a weekend would be essential to make that happen, and that's very unlikely. I don't know the answer, and i doubt if there is one tbh ...

A wonder if midweek speedway would be popular in Poland,,, they might struggle to attrackt riders that are riding in Britain ?

Edited by ruffdiamond

So the Championship teams (Second division whatever the BSPA come up with) in 2019.

Lakeside : Does not look likely to be running, could be at a new venue or Rye House?

Workington: Very little chance of running, will need a big cash injection. The stadium looks to have a limited run of about three years?

Peterborough: Up for sale but  been bought already according to reports.

Glasgow : Running in 2019 but has run up a six figure loss.

Redcar: Up for sale?

Edinburgh: Looks Likely to be running but from reports has a limited run at its present location.

Ipswich: Everything is good and seems set to run.

Sheffield: Similar to Ipswich.

Berwick: Up for sale.

Scunthorpe: Threatened to pull out last year if I remember correctly but seem set to run next year.

Newcastle: Definite to run in 2019.

Apologies in advance for any errors but does not make for good reading.