Jump to content
British Speedway Forum
4thbender

What must 2019 bring (speak now or forever hold your peace)

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Hunters said:

And destroy the National League  in the process !!

Their top riders constantly missing, taking part in a cobbled up reserve qualification set up.

If this is the sort of thinking then the NL clubs must withdraw from the BSPA and register the league independently with the SCB.   No doubling up and any rider signing for a NL club who then wants to move to a PL/CL club during the year  is excluded from participating in the NL for two years and if coming back gets a high 'experience' assessed average.

The NL are developing a really good all British set up despite the best efforts of the BSPA to use it for their own ends.  The NL must go independent to get out of the BSPA clutches.

I understand your fears but I think putting barriers between the leagues is not the answer. We have to recognise that any rider would want to compete at the highest level his ability allows and to place punitive conditions on riders moving from NL to CL (or CL to PL) is not in the best interests of the sport or the riders. The reality is that Speedway operates a progressive regime. Generally speaking, young riders start out their careers in the NL and, when their skills allow, move to the CL and thence to the PL. To place an artificial 'glass ceiling' above the NL to prevent riders fulfilling their potential in the upper leagues (and punishing them if they dare to try) is not in the best interests of the sport or its riders.   

Speedway needs to find ways of encouraging teams and riders to work together progressively for the good of the sport and improve its marketing image as an entertaining and competitive family sport to attract people back to the terraces.

The Pathfinder report does it for me.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, 4thbender said:

I understand your fears but I think putting barriers between the leagues is not the answer. We have to recognise that any rider would want to compete at the highest level his ability allows and to place punitive conditions on riders moving from NL to CL (or CL to PL) is not in the best interests of the sport or the riders. The reality is that Speedway operates a progressive regime. Generally speaking, young riders start out their careers in the NL and, when their skills allow, move to the CL and thence to the PL. To place an artificial 'glass ceiling' above the NL to prevent riders fulfilling their potential in the upper leagues (and punishing them if they dare to try) is not in the best interests of the sport or its riders.   

Speedway needs to find ways of encouraging teams and riders to work together progressively for the good of the sport and improve its marketing image as an entertaining and competitive family sport to attract people back to the terraces.

The Pathfinder report does it for me.

Will never happen, it's dying a death and there is no way back ...

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BluPanther said:

Will never happen, it's dying a death and there is no way back ...

Nice to encounter one of life's natural optimists.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, 4thbender said:

I understand your fears but I think putting barriers between the leagues is not the answer. We have to recognise that any rider would want to compete at the highest level his ability allows and to place punitive conditions on riders moving from NL to CL (or CL to PL) is not in the best interests of the sport or the riders. The reality is that Speedway operates a progressive regime. Generally speaking, young riders start out their careers in the NL and, when their skills allow, move to the CL and thence to the PL. To place an artificial 'glass ceiling' above the NL to prevent riders fulfilling their potential in the upper leagues (and punishing them if they dare to try) is not in the best interests of the sport or its riders.   

Speedway needs to find ways of encouraging teams and riders to work together progressively for the good of the sport and improve its marketing image as an entertaining and competitive family sport to attract people back to the terraces.

The Pathfinder report does it for me.

And when the NL has been destroyed where will all those young (British) riders start?  Crowds are dropping because fans are sick and tired of seeing often questionable guests instead of their favourites and this automatic preference for the so called senior leagues having first call on their services.  A question mark hangs over whether some will fold this year.   Even some of the  Development  Leagues have to use second halves at NL tracks which could be lost to them.

Teams like Stoke, Buxton, Plymouth exist because their promoters are enthusiasts prepared to suffer a loss but there has to be a limit to the depth of their pockets.

There would be no 'glass ceiling' .   Once a rider feels he wants to join the CL he can but having signed for a CL team it should be up to that team to develop his skills either at reserve or in second halves instead of just dumping him as Sheffield have Georgie Wood twice... 

The BSPA must stop thinking about the NL as their free training tracks but we all know they will not so the NL promoters should force the issue and declare UDI. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Hunters said:

And when the NL has been destroyed where will all those young (British) riders start?  Crowds are dropping because fans are sick and tired of seeing often questionable guests instead of their favourites and this automatic preference for the so called senior leagues having first call on their services.  A question mark hangs over whether some will fold this year.   Even some of the  Development  Leagues have to use second halves at NL tracks which could be lost to them.

Teams like Stoke, Buxton, Plymouth exist because their promoters are enthusiasts prepared to suffer a loss but there has to be a limit to the depth of their pockets.

There would be no 'glass ceiling' .   Once a rider feels he wants to join the CL he can but having signed for a CL team it should be up to that team to develop his skills either at reserve or in second halves instead of just dumping him as Sheffield have Georgie Wood twice... 

The BSPA must stop thinking about the NL as their free training tracks but we all know they will not so the NL promoters should force the issue and declare UDI. 

 

WELL SAID.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 4thbender said:

Nice to encounter one of life's natural optimists.

The word you are looking for is Realist. There is no evidence to suggest British speedway can stop the decline, and other outdoor sports are also in the same boat. Anyone that thinks speedway can outgun the digital age is deluded, so enjoy it while you can ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Hunters said:

And when the NL has been destroyed where will all those young (British) riders start?  Crowds are dropping because fans are sick and tired of seeing often questionable guests instead of their favourites and this automatic preference for the so called senior leagues having first call on their services.  A question mark hangs over whether some will fold this year.   Even some of the  Development  Leagues have to use second halves at NL tracks which could be lost to them.

Teams like Stoke, Buxton, Plymouth exist because their promoters are enthusiasts prepared to suffer a loss but there has to be a limit to the depth of their pockets.

There would be no 'glass ceiling' .   Once a rider feels he wants to join the CL he can but having signed for a CL team it should be up to that team to develop his skills either at reserve or in second halves instead of just dumping him as Sheffield have Georgie Wood twice... 

The BSPA must stop thinking about the NL as their free training tracks but we all know they will not so the NL promoters should force the issue and declare UDI. 

 

Honestly

It is not just the teams you have quoted who run at a loss nearly all of the promotions in all the leagues are "blowing their brains out", however when you talk to these guys it is the same old "Hydraulics" "oh we have made a small profit", or "oh we have broke even this year" or the old chestnut "oh we have only made a small loss but we are nearly their". 

One promoter advised that "I've nearly balanced the books and only took a seven grand hit this year due to buying a 25 grand air fence, next year I am in the black" on further due diligence inspection prior to a possible investment that £7k loss was actually and £85k loss and the following year there was another £75k loss. When are these people going to realise, when is the message going to get through, how the sport is being run (especially in the top two leagues) is just not sustainable.

We can not compete financially with Poland or anywhere else on the European continent for that matter. Currently British Speedway is being run as a "feeder country" for the Polish Leagues and we may have to revert back to the semi pro or fully amateur format that we once run in the past and stick with that for a period before we can climb back to anywhere near the way the sport was.

BluPanther may have put up a really negative post however under the current terms of reference the sport has major difficulties and he may well be correct in his assumptions (unfortunately)

Regards
THJ

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

We can not compete financially with Poland or anywhere else on the European continent for that matter. Currently British Speedway is being run as a "feeder country" for the Polish Leagues and we may have to revert back to the semi pro or fully amateur format that we once run in the past and stick with that for a period before we can climb back to anywhere near the way the sport was.

 

Only way forward. The same old, same old,  league structure with a handful of "the top boys" popping up here there and merrily everywhere in team winning photos is doomed to crumble further. Managed decline continues.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have to address team riding-maybe having a couple of heats in the match where you get more points for finishing second and third for example (or whatever score you like if it favours team racing)Something has to be done to bring TEAM speedway back,and racers not to clear off from their teammates ,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, HerniaWise said:

Unfortunately speedway is a unique sport with diehard fans many of a certain age who are sadly declining and not being restocked,  in this day and age of crappy reality programmes where everyone wants to be involved for most of us racing a speedway bike is a no no so if people can't do it they lose interest,  anybody can kick a football,  cricket,  golf,  tennis ,snooker darts etc to a certain level so this is what they do,  the simple fact is speedway is a casualty of not having mainstream TV or having anyone appearing on any sports shows anymore, BT sport is fine but it's only speedway enthusiasts watching the Grand Prix's,  it needs a much wider audience,  changing anything internally will not bring any new people into speedway,  for example the ridiculous points limit of 42.50, come on whoever is in charge are you as thick as rubbish as you need 46 to win a match so that should be the minimum but it's things like this that really piss off the people already going,  I could go go on. 

You were doing reasonably well until that last bit.

Riders averages are based on 4 rides, 7 riders per team equals 28 rides equals 14 heats - so 42.50 should win you the meeting!

Edited by TonyE
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HerniaWise said:

Unfortunately speedway is a unique sport with diehard fans many of a certain age who are sadly declining and not being restocked,  in this day and age of crappy reality programmes where everyone wants to be involved for most of us racing a speedway bike is a no no so if people can't do it they lose interest,  anybody can kick a football,  cricket,  golf,  tennis ,snooker darts etc to a certain level so this is what they do,  the simple fact is speedway is a casualty of not having mainstream TV or having anyone appearing on any sports shows anymore, BT sport is fine but it's only speedway enthusiasts watching the Grand Prix's,  it needs a much wider audience,  changing anything internally will not bring any new people into speedway

That really is true. Only vastly better marketing, different marketing is going to make any difference as is making the product in the stadium far better and more attractive to watch than it comes across at the moment. Relying on Twitter and Facebook is not going to work, Speedway GB has 25.000 followers that needs at least two more zeros to have much effect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, HerniaWise said:

Must remember next time if my team has scored 42.50 points at heat 14 the match can't be lost,  what a load of bull.

But if they lost from that position everytime then they wouldnt have a team total average of 42.50 - it would drop to around 42

So whilst it could be lost it wouldnt if the team maintained the equivalent of a 42.50 total by getting a 3-3

Not quite the 'load of bull' you claim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HerniaWise said:

Must remember next time if my team has scored 42.50 points at heat 14 the match can't be lost,  what a load of bull.

That's not how it works

averages are based on each rider having four rides

by heat 14 there has been 28 rides, that is 7 riders x 4 rides = 28 rides = 14 heats = 14 x average 3 points per heat = 42 points therefore a combined team average of 42.5 points will win the match

hopefully that explains how averages work

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy