British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Brummie Kev

Doug Ellis RIP

So sad to hear the passing of Doug Ellis today, Obviously well known as the chairman of the football club I support for many years but he has previously been a  co-promotor at Birmingham Speedway untill 1960.

He was invited to the  re-opening of the Brummies in 2007 and spoke in support of the club in its battle to get full planning permission some while back.

Rest in Peace Doug

Edited by Brummie Kev
  • Like 1

When Swindon Town were originally promoted to the 1st division, Ellis and others on his lynch mob FA committee blocked Town from taking their place in the top flight, instead relegating us to the third tier which was overturned on appeal. 

Never liked the bloke.

42 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

When Swindon Town were originally promoted to the 1st division, Ellis and others on his lynch mob FA committee blocked Town from taking their place in the top flight, instead relegating us to the third tier which was overturned on appeal. 

Never liked the bloke.

More to do with cheating than Mr Ellis.

Can't remember exactly what happened but wasn't it something to do with illegal payments?

Edited by Barney Rabbit

10 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Never liked the bloke.

You're obviously drawn to cheats

RIP deadly

Edited by iainb

I think i just had a case of Mandela syndrome, I thought he died about 6 years ago and seem to remember the tributes paid to him in our local paper, anyhow RIP Doug 

As an Aston Villa fan since the late 60's I had a love/hate relationship with the man. Since he sold out to Randy Lerner 10 years ago, my attitude slightly softened towards him - he always had the team at heart but seemed he wouldn't go the final hurdle to make them compete at the absolute top level (our European Cup victory was during his period not on the board)

There have been many comments about him on the Villa Fan Web Site and a surprising number show how down to earth he was, fans writing to him would get personal replies within days and he was very generous with his time. he also had a wonderfully wicked sense of humour which he showed in the following exchange with the then birmingham city director Karren Brady

Karren Brady)  Hello Mr Ellis.

Doug) (reading her name badge)  Good evening Miss Brady.  Why are you at this function?

Karren Brady)  I am with The City.

Doug) (knowing full well who she was)  Ah.  The Council.

Oh and to Mr Sholvar, Swindon Town admitted to 36 counts of illegal payments  and the chairman Brian Hillier went to prison for six months, was Doug really to blame for penalising your club?

On 10/12/2018 at 1:45 PM, Andy Downes said:

Oh and to Mr Sholvar, Swindon Town admitted to 36 counts of illegal payments  and the chairman Brian Hillier went to prison for six months, was Doug really to blame for penalising your club?

What?  Steve Shovlar supported a club who cheated?   Who'd have thunk it!

• Haha 1