British Speedway Forum
Chris116

Lakeside V Peterbrough Play Off Semi Final 14-10-18

6 hours ago, PE7Panther said:

Yeah, but it's funny how some people suggest that the 'simplest' thing to do is something which suits Lakeside.  But if a Panthers fan suggests an alternative 'simplest' solution, it's a different story. :rolleyes: 

For the record, I agree that the SCB will be stuck somewhere between a rock and a hard place. And whatever their eventual ruling, one team or the other are going to be mightily pi55ed off.

The one small consolation for us Panthers fans is, as BCD has mentioned, the karma thing.  That's been the recurring theme behind all my posts.  We still had a chance, albeit small, of pulling it back when the floodlights failed at our place.  The big difference is that we got temp floodlights up and running, which were perfectly adequate - and still Lakeside tried to get it called off.  Well, they can't have it both ways! 

Awarding it to Panthers, purely on the basis of finishing top of the league, might not accord with The Rules - but when did that ever really matter?   We can all recount umpteen instances when the BSPA and/or the SCB have fiddled about with them mid-season.  It usually gets justified by that esoteric catch-all rule which covers anything "in the best interests of speedway". 

Well, surely the whole point of having a system of play-offs at the end of the season is to keep the season alive once Sept/Oct comes around, also for the financial benefit of half-a-dozen extra meetings which might draw bigger crowds than normal.  That's clearly gone by the board now.  So, in these circumstances and having due regard to the calendar, state and reliability of the Rye House Stadium, the likely weather forecasts, the need (surely) to punish Lakeside for failing to ensure that they could stage a meeting to a conclusion AND for not having a qualified electrician on site - then there's a pretty good argument for turning to the idea of awarding it to the team which finished higher in the league. 

I rest my case m'lud.....

I think Workington might have a thing or two to say about that. After all they have qualified for the final.

Sadly in this mess nothing is simple.

It's days like these I am glad I am not in Neil Vacher's shoes.

This is a very unhappy situation but I do not understand why the rerun cannot be on a midweek date. The stadium was rented for a speedway meeting that could not be finished due to the stadium lighting failing so the owners should allow the rerun to take place rent free or the Lakeside promotion should sue them for a full refund of the rent plus the loss of income for the final. 

I supported Rye House but it appears that they not only cannot run a team, they also cannot provide a stadium for others to race at. BMR should not be allowed within a million miles of the sport ever again. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, PE7Panther said:

Oh perleeez..... :nono:

I'm sure you're not a 14 year old trying to act like a Big Tough Man after a couple of beers - but that's how it sounds, and you're just embarrassing yourself. :rolleyes:

It's not about trying to be a tough man.

It's embarrassing and immature that you guys are wetting yourselves with excitement at the prospect of being gifted a place in the final.

I can understand that you have an issue with certain riders/promoters from Lakeside so go and aim it at them.

I can even understand that privately, there will be some satisfaction there but don't come on here crowing about it and rubbing it in the supporters faces. 

Regarding Rathbone, his comments in the press release were smarmy and classless. He needs to understand that it will upset people and they will react. 

Just don't blame them when they do.

8 hours ago, New era Panthers said:

I just find your comment obnoxious basically and if your not prepared to put your comment on here why load the gun and not fire the bullets. Tonight's problem was not caused by Ged Rathbone and yet you are prepared to make half baked comments about him . We could all make comments about different promoters but most of us prefer not to as a matter of respect.

Yes, take the moral high ground of it helps you sleep at night.

I'm conveying how I feel about the matter without resorting to abuse and foul language on a  public forum.

I'm pretty sure that's fair.

13 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

This is a very unhappy situation but I do not understand why the rerun cannot be on a midweek date. The stadium was rented for a speedway meeting that could not be finished due to the stadium lighting failing so the owners should allow the rerun to take place rent free or the Lakeside promotion should sue them for a full refund of the rent plus the loss of income for the final. 

I supported Rye House but it appears that they not only cannot run a team, they also cannot provide a stadium for others to race at. BMR should not be allowed within a million miles of the sport ever again. 

Completely agree Chris. Someone needs to take responsibility for last night.

Simply saying 'these things happen' doesn't cut it.

• Like 1

Three rain offs, two abandoned meetings, late finishes and fans leaving in their droves, long before matches have been completed. The move to Rye House has been a disaster for Lakeside, and has left the stadiums reputation for being fit for speedway in tatters. I sat in the stand last night, surrounded by the rubbish left there during friday nights meeting. A fitting epitaph for speedways worst season in living memory.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

Three rain offs, two abandoned meetings, late finishes and fans leaving in their droves, long before matches have been completed. The move to Rye House has been a disaster for Lakeside, and has left the stadiums reputation for being fit for speedway in tatters. I sat in the stand last night, surrounded by the rubbish left there during friday nights meeting. A fitting epitaph for speedways worst season in living memory.

You forgot to mention the exciting variety of opposition.

to answer a few quotes on here 90% of  lakesides problems with staging meetings have been out of their hands

the so called powers that be banning 4/5 meetings in the summer the arena owners saying no more meetings after september

and now the clowns at rye house saying only 2 slots left after promising oh come to us and finish the season with us

and also yesterday lakeside did have an electrician on standby but were told by rye he is not going anywhere near it

I for one really feel for the club as I know how hardworking and passionate they are about the club only to be let down

over and over again by other parties.

sadly I feel the season is done now we will get the wrong call regarding the final and will proberbly not get to finish the workington

meetings either sad days for the whole sport.

re next season if things do not change big time then its the final nail in the coffin for the sport very sad indeed.

and regarding  lakeside if rye cant pull their fingers out or at least let lakeside run lakeside it will be madness to run there

and that could mean the end of our great club unless Thurrock council come true with their promise of a new track

and finally I agree with nick rushbrook stop coming on here gloating and spewing bile keep it for your own forums

COYH.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

In the unlikely event that did happen, the fans should be let in for free, and BMR foot the bill. It's the least we deserve, after suffering one farce after another.

As others have suggested why cannot this match be rerun sometime this week ( clearly providing the lights are fixed) it’s not ideal but needs must.

• Like 1

So Lakeside have referred the decision to the MC. They will either be told that the fixture will need to be rerun and, if so, it would need to take place some time this week, possibly Wednesday otherwise Peterborough will go through to the final. However, the tie could be awarded to Lakeside. Already 22 points up on aggregate by heat eight and, at best, three points from heat nine after Wilkinson had been excluded, Peterborough would have needed at least five 5 -1's and a 4 - 2 just to achieve a draw overall. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Noodles said:

I can't believe the panthers management are still patting themselves on the back for (and I am guessing) being fortunate enough to have the EoES provide temporary lighting. And for Peterborough to stage Lakeside @ Rye House's home leg Vs Peterborough tracking 4 guests and R/R just takes doubling up/down, R/R and guesting to a whole new lower level

10 hours ago, JeremyCorbynFan said:

Interesting to note that Ged said that the team had made major bike changes, would have been very interesting to see the conclusion of this meeting.

:rofl: Shut Up !!! You really think Peterborough would have pulled 22 points back !! Alas this farce between P,boro and Lakeside carries on , we have done everything asked , rode on off-nights with another off-night coming up this Thursday to run a final , would have been running tonight to get the rain-off from Saturday in but Lakeside refused to return having reserves at Work or some excuse :rolleyes: So we sit and wait further for this shambles to get sorted out while Peterborough think they should be awarded the trophy, Lakeside doing everything in their power to get the finals ran at the Arena so their massive home advantage will see them lift the cup....Not a bit of wonder Speedway in on its ar*e . If you win something it should be on merit not trying to screw everything to gain the advantage its an absolute joke  :nono: 

Edited by Taylorj
  • Like 1

Can you imagine going to the cinema, the projector breaks down and have you waiting for 2 hours before declaring that it can't be fixed?

No need for a refund or re-entry....you did at least see half the film and it's ok, we'll tell you how it ends....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1