British Speedway Forum
Chris116

Lakeside V Peterbrough Play Off Semi Final 14-10-18

This was a disaster from the moment we arrived at the stadium. Unbeknown to Speedway fans there was another event in progress , this meant that the gates were not open for Speedway, resulting in chaos with Speedway fans trying to get in whilst those from the other event trying to get out. During this debacle one of the owners of the Stadium arrived amidst much blowing of horns incapable of realising that due to the car park situation nobody could move. Car park attendants appeared totally disinterested

Edited by wealdstone

1 hour ago, RS50 said:

All the comparisons to Laurel and Hardy are completely unjust. Remember that Laurel and Hardy were talented people trying to look like fools whereas the people running the sport are???? 

Very Good  :)

As a neutral regardless how this situation arose they should let Lakeside through to the final and all it will need is for Rob Godfrey to phone his long time friend Ged Rathbone and ask him for a favour and step aside, presuming g they are friends.

• Like 1

The offer to run this fixture at a neutral track was also turned down by the Lakeside promotion as they said it was unfair not to have a home track advantage although it is a track that all their riders go well at so not sure that’s a valid excuse.

1 hour ago, racers and royals said:

The SCB/BSPA  are taking their time to get a statement out today  !!!

The SCB/BSPA are taking their time to get a statement out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, racers and royals said:

The SCB/BSPA  are taking their time to get a statement out today  !!!

I suspect they have come up with three options! Trouble is they can't agree on which excuse explanation to use.

OPTION ONE - Lakeside were ahead so they should move forward to the final. PROBLEM is that rewards the team who failed to have a track that could stage the meeting fully!

OPTION TWO - Peterborough go through as Lakeside have failed to provide a track that the meeting could be finished on. PROBLEM is that this means the side that was being beaten qualifies for the final!

OPTION THREE - Rye House are awarded the win as they stopped both Peterborough and Lakeside from qualifying! PROBLEM is that Rye House were kicked out of one league and are not in the league they have now qualified for!

The other alternative is to ask Workington who they would like to race against! Now that could be interesting.

1 hour ago, wealdstone said:

Fail to see the comparison .Having said that Lakeside clearly better side overall. Panthers display was shameful.

It was Panthers in name only though which is probably why nobody gives a stuff. It's all turned into a farce at the business end of the season that should have finished a couple of weeks ago.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Carlislecomet2 said:

On another thread there was a comment about what other sport has supporters checking on the weather as much as speedway - and someone beat me to it and suggested cricket.

This got me thinking,  and while cricket use the Duckworth-Lewis method for determining the results of cricket matches which have been curtailed for various reasons (including inclement weather), maybe speedway could introduce a similar system - we could have the Laurel and Hardy method.

1 hour ago, Bryce said:

The sport needs an appropriate sponsor to hi-light what it's all about. I suggest Billy Smart's Circus.

1 hour ago, wealdstone said:

Fail to see the comparison .Having said that Lakeside clearly better side overall. Panthers display was shameful.

1 hour ago, Panther1997 said:

Whilst I can see what we are trying to achieve by getting a final place and the principles that we could fix the problems when it was the same at the showground, but just give up. We were beaten at home and we were getting smashed away. We have 2 riders left, why would we be wanting to put our self in a position to get a spanking in the final. I hope Ged sees sense and saves his money on guests cause the way the sport is being run no one will want to buy it off him (I know we have had 3 potential buyers but realistically no one in their right mind would invest in a speedway team in the UK) , so he will need all the money hes got for next year.

Just to be totally ridiculous for a second and it is obvious that all the following; could be; should be; and possibly might have been, however.

We were at Heat 9 which could have been a 3 -3 then give the Panthers two 0 - 5 results for Heats 10 and 11 then heats 12 to 15 give them as 2 - 4's to the Panthers and it still comes out as a 91 - 87 win to Lakeside or there is the more realistic possibility that after that Heat 9; 3 - 3 Boro could have went through the card with 6 straight 1 - 5's and won 89 - 91 Honestly!!!; (No)

The odds of winning the Euro Millions jackpot is 1 in 139,838,160, but always remember that's what we're here for isn't it? "The chance of winning" so the chance of winning the National Lottery jackpot is 1 in 45,057,474, according to the Lotto website, while there is a 1 in 7,509,579 chance of getting five numbers plus the bonus ball.

Peterborough had less chance than any of these odds of winning this match, in fact if they had made it to 35 it would have been a miracle. Common sense must(should) prevail after all Workington have to "Promote" a "Play Off" match "Some" time against "Some" body or other "Soon" i.e. before the 1st of November 2018. Unless the season end is extended (which I am not sure has ever happened, although I stand to be corrected on that one) or as someone has pointed out there has been the precedent of "Calling a result before heat 10" as in the Glasgow Redcar meeting (although Redcar I believe did not have a "mathematical chance" of getting a result being that far behind) and there was the precedent of not running a meeting at all in the Play Off leagues as the format was in 2012 when the Edinburgh Workington meeting could not be fit in for the weather; and the cut off; so Scunthorpe went through (By default) and won the play off final against Somerset .

So what happened in 2012 when Worky suffered this injustice, Well their promotion was up in arms as it was deemed by them as unfair, their fans were up in arms and moaned like mad on here, there; and everywhere else; to anyone who would listen to them on how unfair it was. What happened? Jack!!!, absolutely nothing;!!! the Play off rolled on; no one remembers the problem; it is now history; and everyone moved on, however their complaint was just as valid, if not more so than a one sided match that was petering out into the inevitable win for Lakeside .

Who in their right mind could honestly suggest that Boro would have got anything from that meeting. Ged should suck it up; take the moral high ground and admit defeat; the Boro fans will rightly moan on how badly they have been treat; and how unfair it was; and post on here "ad nauseam" how they were robbed; and how the competition has been devalued but Worky and Lakeside will arrange and get on with a play off final at the end of a pretty P!$$ Poor season to be fair with all the issues encountered. As for the outcome well it will decide who of the two clubs probably folding at the end of the year goes home on a high note. Yippee eh!

It is often said on here however "Only in Speedway eh" Surely it doesn't have to descend into farce every year does it?

Oh and the best laugh is Worky fancied their chances more against the Boro select than Lakeside, but hey ho we don't always get what we want do we eh?

Regards
THJ

9 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

I suspect they have come up with three options! Trouble is they can't agree on which excuse explanation to use.

OPTION ONE - Lakeside were ahead so they should move forward to the final. PROBLEM is that rewards the team who failed to have a track that could stage the meeting fully!

OPTION TWO - Peterborough go through as Lakeside have failed to provide a track that the meeting could be finished on. PROBLEM is that this means the side that was being beaten qualifies for the final!

OPTION THREE - Rye House are awarded the win as they stopped both Peterborough and Lakeside from qualifying! PROBLEM is that Rye House were kicked out of one league and are not in the league they have now qualified for!

The other alternative is to ask Workington who they would like to race against! Now that could be interesting.

Whatever they finally decide- tossing a coin might be an option you haven`t considered- Workington have 4 home matches to fit in between Thursday(1st one scheduled) and next Wednesday which is the last day of the month. utter madness !!!!

Edited by racers and royals
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

Whatever they finally decide- tossing a coin might be an option you haven`t considered- Workington have 4 home matches to fit in between Thursday(1st one scheduled) and next Wednesday which is the last day of the month. utter madness !!!!

With all the meetings that might need a coin tossed I fear the BSPA could need sponsorship for the cost of the coins! 

1 minute ago, Chris116 said:

With all the meetings that might need a coin tossed I fear the BSPA could need sponsorship for the cost of the coins! 

At least there are no shortage of expert tossers!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Crump99 said:

It was Panthers in name only though which is probably why nobody gives a stuff. It's all turned into a farce at the business end of the season that should have finished a couple of weeks ago.

Let’s hope those in charge learn by this. They have to get the fixture list sorted. We have Ipswich fans, for example, having had 13 meetings and a season that finished in early August while others e.g. Lakeside Peterborough and Worky , with great gaps in the fixture list sometimes weeks between meetings then rushing to get meetings in before November. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

Plus the away meeting in the play offs..........:(

Just now, E I Addio said:

Let’s hope those in charge learn by this. They have to get the fixture list sorted. We have Ipswich fans, for example, having had 13 meetings and a season that finished in early August while others e.g. Lakeside Peterborough and Worky , with great gaps in the fixture list sometimes weeks between meetings then rushing to get meetings in before November. 

One would think they would learn but no....

better watch out for that double headed heads coin in that case .......... or  was it a double headed coin or a double (headed0tails . eh . whattheflame

Edited by jenga

Perhaps they are thinking of putting Peterborough through but then again will Peterborough have enough riders to make up a team if that is the outcome. Sensible solution perhaps they could put through a Lakeside/Peterborough select (joke).  I think it was obvious to all supporters at the meeting the Peterborough select side were never going to win last night's meeting. Personally I know injuries etc are part of this sport but should last night's meeting actually have taken place as it wasn't really against a "Peterborough" team, which I don't think was fair to anyone especially the Peterborough supporters.