British Speedway Forum
Chris116

Lakeside V Peterbrough Play Off Semi Final 14-10-18

Peterborough wanted it re-staged that much is obvious. I do not believe there would have been much resistance if they had elected to concede the tie.

2 minutes ago, TonyE said:

Peterborough wanted it re-staged that much is obvious. I do not believe there would have been much resistance if they had elected to concede the tie.

The idea is to earn your place in the final not have them gifted to you , BSPA/ SCB correctly ordered it to be rerun regardless of what people are thinking and guessing should happen Panthers did the correct thing even though they knew with what riders they were able to field they would be on a hiding to nothing  also  taking into account they could be in breach of the rules and finish up with a hefty fine for refusing to participate .

6 minutes ago, New era Panthers said:

The idea is to earn your place in the final not have them gifted to you , BSPA/ SCB correctly ordered it to be rerun regardless of what people are thinking and guessing should happen Panthers did the correct thing even though they knew with what riders they were able to field they would be on a hiding to nothing  also  taking into account they could be in breach of the rules and finish up with a hefty fine for refusing to participate .

Oh perleeze...

I think we earned our place winning 3 out of 3 legs.

Nothing against the Panthers fans or the team. In fact, the Showground happens to be my favourite venue.

But that promoter of yours was trying his luck and thankfully it didn't come to fruition. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NickRushbrook said:

Oh perleeze...

I think we earned our place winning 3 out of 3 legs.

Nothing against the Panthers fans or the team. In fact, the Showground happens to be my favourite venue.

But that promoter of yours was trying his luck and thankfully it didn't come to fruition. 

Yes Panthers made you earn yourself a place in the final which was the correct way to do it and not to just hand it to you on a plate. Congratulations

40 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

Dreadful.

Put it this way, the guy running the chip van brought 3lb (or kilos ) if you don't like imperial measures of spuds, and took some home unpeeled.

4 minutes ago, New era Panthers said:

Yes Panthers made you earn yourself a place in the final which was the correct way to do it and not to just hand it to you on a plate. Congratulations

So it WAS the Panthers and not the SCB who 'made us' re-run the 2nd leg? Ok, that makes sense.

Thanks for congratulations and I sincerely hope this rivalry can be renewed next season.

It was indeed a very poor crowd. The smallest I've seen at Rye by quite a margin.  One thing I did find amusing was the way they zoomed through the first ten heats before taking a track grading break. It was almost as if they didn't trust the lights to stay on or something.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NickRushbrook said:

So it WAS the Panthers and not the SCB who 'made us' re-run the 2nd leg? Ok, that makes sense.

Thanks for congratulations and I sincerely hope this rivalry can be renewed next season.

Sadly as I see it I can't see Lakeside running at Rye House being an option if they have to run at losses and as the stadium has been butchered  previous to Lakeside moving in i can't see a future for the venue, I've seen some excellent meetings there over the years but I have to say since Len Silver moved out the place has gone steadily down hill

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Bryce said:

It was indeed a very poor crowd. The smallest I've seen at Rye by quite a margin.  One thing I did find amusing was the way they zoomed through the first ten heats before taking a track grading break. It was almost as if they didn't trust the lights to stay on or something.

Can you blame them.

I can see the Hammers trying a season at least there whilst keeping tabs on the 'new stadium' issue. It is for the promotion to talk to the stadium owners regarding their appetite for 'improving' certain issues. A fan base certainly exists in the area and a percentage of Hammers fans will get their fix at RH albeit, perhaps, not so frequently. It keeps the club alive at least. The attendance last night cannot be seen as indicative in any way, mid-week, meeting overload, opponent overload. Next Saturday will be a totally different experience.

• Like 1

I've been to all of the Hammers 'home' meetings at Rye, and apart from the first double header, the crowds have been generally poor. Last friday should be a good barometer. A national final against different opposition, on the traditional race night in good weather, and they still didn't come. I'm sure a lot of fans didn't want to tackle the M25 on a friday evening, who can blame them. So that leaves Saturdays for next season, going up against Kent and Eastbourne most weeks. Some of us attend all three venues, so choices will have to be made.

9 hours ago, New era Panthers said:

Still on about your 'fry up' ?

Hope Panthers return in 2019....and Comets of course.

Longggggggg  coldddddddddd  Winter ahead..

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bryce said:

Certainly the smallest of the recent Peterborough matches, I thought about 250 at best.

To be fair I wouldn’t object if they did all matches like that they didn’t really slow down until after the interval at heat 10.

It's hard to gauge too much from the past few weeks with regard to crowd size.

It's all been a bit of a rush with massive fixture congestion and little variety in opponents.

The stadium is a dump at the moment but I think it is certainly worth a season with the 'reset' button having been pushed.

I think it can work in the short term.

Anyhow, that's a concern for another day. Just want to enjoy my team in a play-off final and hopefully even a championship win.

10 hours ago, TonyE said:

Regulations don’t allow you to concede ties, fixtures have to be completed, it used to be fairly substantial fines but not sure what it is now

Looking at the crowd I reckon it cost Lakeside a fortune last night.

We did actually see a few overtakes tonight which is pretty rare at Rye recently but it’s mainly gate and go, the track grading was a complete waste of time their was hardly any loose dirt on it.