British Speedway Forum
Chris116

Lakeside V Peterbrough Play Off Semi Final 14-10-18

42 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

With 10 days only of the season left surely the SCB will call the result as it stands after 9 heats

15.12 If a Team Meeting (15 heats or more) is abandoned after the completion of Heat 10 the result shall stand. If this is the 2 nd leg and the result is a draw, although an Aggregate result is required, the result will be calculated using the results of both legs, but giving precedence to the Team with the greater number of Heat wins e.g. 5-1 and 4-2 and if that remains undecided, then it is determined by the Team supplying the greater number of heat winners. In exceptional circumstances where the result is mathematically sure, following referral to the SCB, the Meeting may be awarded.

yes the result is not mathematically sure- but didn`t they award a result( at Redcar ??) when also not mathematically sure.

There was some debate as to whether the decision to award a meeting before the statutory number of heats had been raced, (Redcar v Glasgow) last season would come back to haunt the powers that be who made that decision.

And it has come to pass. Has there ever been a more inept and incompetent board of control ?

They now can't win whatever they decide. They have declared result doesn't stand. They therefore penalised Redcar , and by doing so, have singled them out. That, quite frankly is discrimination. It's unfair, and unethical.

The recriminations around this will drag on, and on, and on.

Redcar had to accept the boards decision. Whichever way they come down on this, either Peterborough or Lakeside are going to feel cheated.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Prince Regent said:

Ignoring some of the less pleasant remarks from just one or two Panthers fans, as a Lakeside supporter I can see this being awarded to Peterborough. If rain had stopped the meeting at heat 9 - just as out of Lakeside's control as the lights going out - it couldn't be awarded. Lakeside hadn't actually won the tie, although obviously they were about to. The SCB may even decide that P'boro finishing top of the league could come into play.

Whatever, it's all very unsatisfactory. I feel for the Lakeside promotion, who are facing one disaster after another after what promised to be such a decent season. Unfortunately, Rye House is a dump, and I say that with some sorrow, as it was one of the first speedway tracks I ever went to, my parents taking me there as a kid in the early 60s, when it was a training track running occasional Sunday open meetings.

Yep, of course it's all unsatisfactory.  And everybody - me included, believe it or not - sympathises with Lakeside.  

But you have to admit that we're entitled to enjoy a bit of shadenfreude, given Lakeside's antics when the floodlights failed at our place recently. ;)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NickRushbrook said:

Not at all. Just trying to simplify the matter. Something alien to Speedway do I don't hold out much hope.

Let's face it, there's no fair way to resolve this now and whatever transpires next week will be a farce.

What could possibly be simpler than to award it to the team that finished top of the league, and which has a home track where they can actually stage a meeting to completion? 

3 minutes ago, singy13 said:

You two big mates now..

He might (arguably) be an annoying twerp sometimes, but he's actually a damn sight smarter than many on here who bite every time.   

Anyway, if he's right he's right - as he is here.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PE7Panther said:

Yep, of course it's all unsatisfactory.  And everybody - me included, believe it or not - sympathises with Lakeside.  

But you have to admit that we're entitled to enjoy a bit of shadenfreude, given Lakeside's antics when the floodlights failed at our place recently. ;)

The word being mentioned tonight was Karma, I don’t think anybody expected it to arise quite so quickly.

Interesting situation now that the official results state result does not stand.

It was being said tonight that Lakeside only now have one more available date, which of course is there for the final should they have made it. This meeting should have been held on the 6th October, the fact that it still hasn’t been decided is down to Lakeside the weather and floodlight failure.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, PE7Panther said:

What could possibly be simpler than to award it to the team that finished top of the league, and which has a home track where they can actually stage a meeting to completion? 

League position has no relevance once the play offs begin although I understand the frustration of finishing top and then succumbing to misfortune at the vital moment.

Simply awarding it on that basis would be bending the rules to suit as well would it not?

Like I said, there's no fair way out of this.

To many of the wrong people get punished in situations like this.

so sorry for all there. ..so glad I chose eastie tonight....which incidentally was excellent....the moisture at this time of the year improves the arlington track no end..

could lakeside stage last meeting(s) there??

Edited by Mike.Butler

Just now, parkendlass said:

There was some debate as to whether the decision to award a meeting before the statutory number of heats had been raced, (Redcar v Glasgow) last season would come back to haunt the powers that be who made that decision.

And it has come to pass. Has there ever been a more inept and incompetent board of control ?

They now can't win whatever they decide. They have declared result doesn't stand. They therefore penalised Redcar , and by doing so, have singled them out. That, quite frankly is discrimination. It's unfair, and unethical.

Redcar had to accept the boards decision. Whichever way they come down on this, either Peterborough or Lakeside are going to feel cheated.

A very one sided post. In that meeting with Glasgow nine heats had already been run and ht10 had to be rerun with two Glasgow riders only. It was a foregone conclusion. Redcar penalised themselves by dragging the remaining time out to curfew with an alleged badly injured rider who was neither transferred to hospital by the track ambulance or had a 999 ambulance called on his behalf. Said injured rider then made his own way to hospital after the curfew expired. The Redcar promoter then made plenty of noise about taking legal action so sure he was of injustice but never did, he never even took up the right of appeal. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I am a Hammers fan (wasn't there tonight, no intention of going to Rye House) but first and foremost I am someone who likes to see things done by the book, this meeting should be restaged, if Lakeside are unable to do it and Peterborough don't wish to forfeit the tie having lost the first leg (and why should they) then the tie should be awarded to Peterborough, likewise it seems there is only one date left "Lakehouse" have to use for the final, so what would happen IF they were/had made the final and it was rained off?

The whole thing has just been a farce this season, only limited home meetings to stage, set race nights to avoid doubling issues and they still can't do it!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, parkendlass said:

Whatever the outcome of this , its just another sad day for speedway and not a very good advertisement for any future would be supporters to want to attend .Perhaps they should draw a line and  cancel  the rest of the season without any competition winners . It's incredible that we've had less league fixtures this season and find ourselves struggling to complete the season . biggest bugbear for me is all those weeks in the height of the season at all tracks  with good weather most of the time and no speedway whatever bright spark thought of that idea should not be allowed anywhere near a proposed fixture list again

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Tonight was another nail in the speedway coffin .not I might add down to the Lakeside promotion but a shambles of people in charge of Rye House stadiums total incompitents....Now will Lakeside still chance running here next season that is the big question..?.