British Speedway Forum
Chris116

Lakeside V Peterbrough Play Off Semi Final 14-10-18

3 hours ago, NickRushbrook said:

League position has no relevance once the play offs begin although I understand the frustration of finishing top and then succumbing to misfortune at the vital moment.

Simply awarding it on that basis would be bending the rules to suit as well would it not?

Like I said, there's no fair way out of this.

To (sic) many of the wrong people get punished in situations like this.

Yeah, but it's funny how some people suggest that the 'simplest' thing to do is something which suits Lakeside.  But if a Panthers fan suggests an alternative 'simplest' solution, it's a different story. :rolleyes: 

For the record, I agree that the SCB will be stuck somewhere between a rock and a hard place. And whatever their eventual ruling, one team or the other are going to be mightily pi55ed off.

The one small consolation for us Panthers fans is, as BCD has mentioned, the karma thing.  That's been the recurring theme behind all my posts.  We still had a chance, albeit small, of pulling it back when the floodlights failed at our place.  The big difference is that we got temp floodlights up and running, which were perfectly adequate - and still Lakeside tried to get it called off.  Well, they can't have it both ways! 

Awarding it to Panthers, purely on the basis of finishing top of the league, might not accord with The Rules - but when did that ever really matter?   We can all recount umpteen instances when the BSPA and/or the SCB have fiddled about with them mid-season.  It usually gets justified by that esoteric catch-all rule which covers anything "in the best interests of speedway". 

Well, surely the whole point of having a system of play-offs at the end of the season is to keep the season alive once Sept/Oct comes around, also for the financial benefit of half-a-dozen extra meetings which might draw bigger crowds than normal.  That's clearly gone by the board now.  So, in these circumstances and having due regard to the calendar, state and reliability of the Rye House Stadium, the likely weather forecasts, the need (surely) to punish Lakeside for failing to ensure that they could stage a meeting to a conclusion AND for not having a qualified electrician on site - then there's a pretty good argument for turning to the idea of awarding it to the team which finished higher in the league. 

I rest my case m'lud.....

Edited by PE7Panther

3 hours ago, bigcatdiary said:

The word being mentioned tonight was Karma, I don’t think anybody expected it to arise quite so quickly.

Interesting situation now that the official results state result does not stand.

It was being said tonight that Lakeside only now have one more available date, which of course is there for the final should they have made it. This meeting should have been held on the 6th October, the fact that it still hasn’t been decided is down to Lakeside the weather and floodlight failure.

nail on head! :t:

3 hours ago, miadfa8 said:

I went tonight. Absolute shambles and I left at 8.30pm.

The electrics at Rye were always dodgy in Len's day as the call always used to go out for Steve Naylor when the they went wrong.

The fixture should be restaged and if Lakeside can't do so within the timeframe left of the season they should be chucked out.

Steve naylor was always in pub next door☺

3 hours ago, New era Panthers said:

Whatever the outcome of this , its just another sad day for speedway and not a very good advertisement for any future would be supporters to want to attend .Perhaps they should draw a line and  cancel  the rest of the season without any competition winners . It's incredible that we've had less league fixtures this season and find ourselves struggling to complete the season . biggest bugbear for me is all those weeks in the height of the season at all tracks  with good weather most of the time and no speedway whatever bright spark thought of that idea should not be allowed anywhere near a proposed fixture list again

I totally agree with everything you say here.  Just calling it a day makes a lot of sense.  And given the fact that somebody has to go down as "champions" in the record books, then it'd have to be Peterborough Panthers.  Who else could it be, and who else would deserve it?   

By the way, did Cook have a hand in drawing up the fixtures?  I'm sure he used to, at least.  If he did, it'd make it even sweeter!  

4 hours ago, marko said:

I am a Hammers fan (wasn't there tonight, no intention of going to Rye House) but first and foremost I am someone who likes to see things done by the book, this meeting should be restaged, if Lakeside are unable to do it and Peterborough don't wish to forfeit the tie having lost the first leg (and why should they) then the tie should be awarded to Peterborough, likewise it seems there is only one date left "Lakehouse" have to use for the final, so what would happen IF they were/had made the final and it was rained off?

The whole thing has just been a farce this season, only limited home meetings to stage, set race nights to avoid doubling issues and they still can't do it!

100% right. 

But nobody can point the finger of blame at Panthers.   Ged was suspended at the time of last season's AGM. 

4 hours ago, waco said:

Tonight was another nail in the speedway coffin .not I might add down to the Lakeside promotion but a shambles of people in charge of Rye House stadiums total incompitents (sic) ....Now will Lakeside still chance running here next season that is the big question..?.

Despite my comments about karma, and enjoying a bit of shadenfreude, I genuinely hope Lakeside get sorted for next season - either at an improved track/stadium at Rye House or, preferably, at a new place in Essex.  :cheers:

4 hours ago, Daytripper said:

Let’s not overlook the the culpability of the BSPA Chairman and especially the Vice Chairman in all this. It’s thanks to Godfrey interfering with the fixture list to suit his own club that meant that Lakeside, Peterborough, and Workington had difficulty completing their fixtures, and thanks to the pair of them that Lakeside couldn’t use both Arena and Rye House  get the Remain gin fixtures . 

Thats Chapman and Godfrey for you, bleating about protocols and to hell with the fans.

Even by BSPA standards the sport has sunk to a new low, made even worse by Chapmans boasts that he was going to do this and do that but he has done nothing. Words cannot e,xpress my contempt for the pair of them, especially Godfrey. Look at the mess the sport was in when these two clowns took over, and look at it now - even worse. Unbelievable . And they both think they are the greatest thing since sliced bread. 

As for Peterborough, Lakeside and Rye House Stadium, it wouldn’t surprise me if they are all history by next year. Sadly. What a bunch of clowns run this sport from to bottom. 

Best and most sensible post so far  - except for suggesting that Panthers might not run next year; Ged has categorically stated that, whatever happens, Panthers will be running next year. 

Edited by PE7Panther

4 hours ago, singy13 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong...ha,ha,......but didn't the Boro promoter say the home meeting at the EoS, versus Lakeside, would be the last meeting there this season??? 

you stand corrected. 

4 hours ago, marko said:

If it wasn't for the outstanding league match at Workington, I would not have been surprised if Lakehouse had turned around and conceded the Shield competition, then ran the match vs Panthers during the week (Wednesday or Thursday) and then next weekend worky would face us or Peterborough, Worky on the Saturday, then Lakehouse or Peterborough on the Sunday.

Lakeside can't decide a date unilaterally.   

That's what happened for this meeting.  Panthers weren't happy with it and, strictly speaking, were entitled to reject it.  But they swallowed it, even though it'd mean a weaker team than they'd have liked.  In any case, they were pretty sure what would happen... yeah, another ruling from the numpties who run the sport "in the best interests of speedway" to force Panthers to accept whatever date suits Lakeside.  

4 hours ago, scaramanga said:

it was obvious that lakeside were going to go through if meeting continued 

but others have had meetings called off in the past when 1 team was obviously going to win only for the rerun to favour the other team 

now as a Workington fan I  wouldn't like to call this 1 

do we want to see lakeside 3 out of 4 last meetings no not really 

do I think panthers with only 2 of there own riders and 4 selected track guests are a good opposition 

well who knows 

panthers did finish top before playoffs and were going well but its not the same team now and are a lot weaker 

either way there's just over a week to go and it needs sorted soon as next weekends weather forecast for up north is no looking too good 

Good point.

How about carrying over the outstanding play-off semi and the grand final until the start of next year?  It'd be a nice curtain-raiser for the new season.  

4 hours ago, singy13 said:

he did say,,,,,,

:unsure:

He talked about "scheduled" meetings at home.  And it's deffo not what was said at the fans forum/meeting on Friday evening.  The message coming from the platform was firmly along the lines of "we'll go to Rye House give it a good go, and hopefully we'll get through to the final" 

So let's give this load of b*ll*cks a rest.     

Edited by PE7Panther

4 hours ago, bigcatdiary said:

To be fair the Hammers were on a different planet tonight and were much quicker out the of the gate on a track which was greasy early doors and was as bald as a badgers bum.

If it had got to heat 10 we couldn’t have complained but unfortunately you didn’t and the aggravation you caused at Peterborough the other week after our light failure and delay has really come me back to haunt you.

The BSPA Results service states meeting abandoned result does not stand, effectively that means it needs restaging, if you cannot do that you forfeit the tie.

A fair and balanced summary by BCD - and spot on.  :t:

3 hours ago, spin king junior said:

What an absolute disgrace that was. Felt like the fans were left (literally) in the dark for far too long and then to come over the PA and announce "we're sorry, we're speedway people, not electricians" is just shoddy. Had to take an 8 year old kid home bored out of his mind for a good hour waiting around and doesn't want to go back to the speedway now. And can you blame him? Tonight was the absolute lowest I've felt about this sport in a long time and that's bloody well saying something with the amount of crap we put up with in speedway.

Peoole can shoulder the blame with Rye House and they obviously had a massive hand to play in this mess of a so called meeting. But lakeside have to as well. The lack of worthwhile communication was bad just the occasional "we're doing our best" well, it wasn't good enough. I often see the phrase any speedway is better than no speedway thrown a lot around especially on this forum, but I can safely say I'd rather have none than have to put up with the absolute dross I saw.

I made some critical comments about the long delay at our place when the lights went out - but this farce at Rye House has made me think again.  In fact, I'm happy to take it all back - especially after hearing Ged tell us at the fans forum on Friday that the racing could have got underway again much quicker if Lakeside hadn't tried to pull a fast one, by refusing to ride and badgering the ref to call it off. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NickRushbrook said:

Don't care how you dress it up. That Rathbone fella is an odious little man.

Yes, he's entitled blah blah.

Opportunistic at best. I could say a lot worse that would likely get me a knock on the door from the police.

Alas, anything I say on this forum, I'm more than happy to repeat to anyone's face.

Oh perleeez..... :nono:

I'm sure you're not a 14 year old trying to act like a Big Tough Man after a couple of beers - but that's how it sounds, and you're just embarrassing yourself. :rolleyes:

6 hours ago, Daytripper said:

Let’s not overlook the the culpability of the BSPA Chairman and especially the Vice Chairman in all this. It’s thanks to Godfrey interfering with the fixture list to suit his own club that meant that Lakeside, Peterborough, and Workington had difficulty completing their fixtures, and thanks to the pair of them that Lakeside couldn’t use both Arena and Rye House  get the Remain gin fixtures . 

Thats Chapman and Godfrey for you, bleating about protocols and to hell with the fans.

Even by BSPA standards the sport has sunk to a new low, made even worse by Chapmans boasts that he was going to do this and do that but he has done nothing. Words cannot e,xpress my contempt for the pair of them, especially Godfrey. Look at the mess the sport was in when these two clowns took over, and look at it now - even worse. Unbelievable . And they both think they are the greatest thing since sliced bread. 

As for Peterborough, Lakeside and Rye House Stadium, it wouldn’t surprise me if they are all history by next year. Sadly. What a bunch of clowns run this sport from to bottom. 

A little harsh, but only a little.

There's no question that the decision - for utterly selfish motives - to stop Workington, Lakeside and Peterborough using Friday nights has contributed to this situation. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1