British Speedway Forum

8 minutes ago, rob tatum said:

Oh well    i like pearson and tatum 

But i am old and easily pleased 

Does your surname have anything to do with your statement :lol::rolleyes:

Much rather listen to Nige and Kelv and their comedy banter, than the guy who does the Swedish stuff.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Midland Red said:

Only able to see last night’s GP on tv, and apart from the bloody awful commentators - who added absolutely nothing to the enjoyment of the evening - this meeting will also stick in the memory for many years (God willing)

Never in the history of television can there have been a more unprofessional performance from those two - you’re lucky to have missed it, Philip

It's such a shame that when anyone looks back at recordings of what was one of the greatest GPs ever, those incredible moments will have those two with their whoas and wows as the soundtrack, unable to produce real commentary to match the high quality of the racing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, chunky said:

See? When people like us say that - and between us we have seen nearly everything and everyone - it shows that speedway is still an incredible sport.

The thing for me tonight was not just passing and close racing; the riders were literally all over the place - at flat-out speeds - looking for the best lines, and some of the moves were absolutely breathtaking. And at times plain scary!!!

Of course, it was great to have much cleaner starts, and not have multiple reruns...

Steve

Like us ??? that is a rather arrogant and strange comment to make???? yes the racing was from the top drawer really enjoyed it.

31 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Like us ??? that is a rather arrogant and strange comment to make???? yes the racing was from the top drawer really enjoyed it.

Looking for negatives again, I see???

What I mean by "like us" is old farts who have been around forever, and not only seen everything, but view what we have seen largely as neutrals.

So many BSF posters can't get past their own biased opinions, and misguided views that racing was always "so much better back in the good ol' days". This meeting proved that it can be just as good, if not better!

Everyone was making comments here that it was "one of the best GP's". Screw that! It was way better than that, and I wasn't scared to say it. It just makes me feel good when respected individuals like norbold (and later, Phil) share that view.

I don't understand why it seems perfectly acceptable to criticise and insult people and their views on here, but if you have the audacity to stand out and say how good the modern product is (or can be, anyway), it's a no-no! Not me,  I'm gonna tell it like it is. If that makes me arrogant, oh well...

Steve

Edited by chunky
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Leicester Lion said:

those incredible moments will have those two with their whoas and wows as the soundtrack

So? Does that devalue the meeting in any way? Of course not! The meeting shall be remembered (and rightly so) for the racing, not for any commentary. Is it really that bad for commentators to get excited?

Anyway, I can't really say I noticed anything wrong with their commentary, as I couldn't hear them over my own "whoas" and "wows"!!!

• Like 4

Exactly. The decibel level in my house was higher than anything Nige and Kelv could muster!

43 minutes ago, chunky said:

What I mean by "like us" is old farts who have been around forever, and not only seen everything, but view what we have seen largely as neutrals.

So many BSF posters can't get past their own biased opinions, and misguided views that racing was always "so much better back in the good ol' days". This meeting proved that it can be just as good, if not better!

Everyone was making comments here that it was "one of the best GP's". Screw that! It was way better than that, and I wasn't scared to say it. It just makes me feel good when respected individuals like norbold (and later, Phil) share that view.

I don't understand why it seems perfectly acceptable to criticise and insult people and their views on here, but if you have the audacity to stand out and say how good the modern product is (or can be, anyway), it's a no-no! Not me,  I'm gonna tell it like it is. If that makes me arrogant, oh well...

Steve

43 minutes ago, chunky said:

Steve

Totally right it was a good meeting and i won't be trailing behind living in the past this year at Swindon i have enjoyed the speedway more than i have for a long time.

I am ok with Nige and Kevin as well.   Tell you what, they could make it completely boring and I reckon you would not like that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chunky said:

So? Does that devalue the meeting in any way? Of course not! The meeting shall be remembered (and rightly so) for the racing, not for any commentary. Is it really that bad for commentators to get excited?

Anyway, I can't really say I noticed anything wrong with their commentary, as I couldn't hear them over my own "whoas" and "wows"!!!

Although you answered your own question for yourself (and said you weren't listening to the commentary anyway, which rather negates your point), for me it devalues not only the live coverage but also the recording as a part of speedway's history. At its best, speedway is the greatest sport on the planet; those in the privileged position of being paid to commentate on it should aspire to deliver real words that befit the action, not whoas, wows and ridiculously elongating the last syllable of a rider's name. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Leicester Lion said:

Although you answered your own question for yourself (and said you weren't listening to the commentary anyway, which rather negates your point), for me it devalues not only the live coverage but also the recording as a part of speedway's history. At its best, speedway is the greatest sport on the planet; those in the privileged position of being paid to commentate on it should aspire to deliver real words that befit the action, not whoas, wows and ridiculously elongating the last syllable of a rider's name. 

Are you really a totally humourless individual who takes everything literally? I NEVER said I wasn't listening to the commentary, and I actually was, believe it or not...  I was having a bit of fun (apologies if you found it somewhat misleading), although a lot of their "whoas" and "wows" did coincide with my own!

If you honestly think that the event was completely devalued by the commentary, I feel sorry for you. I have always watched speedway (live or televised) for the racing, rather than the commentary. If pronunciation is that big of an issue, then I'm sure you don't remember Tony Millard...

Steve

Edited by chunky

Every heat was exciting. You just did not know whether to watch the first 2 or the battle for 3rd. It was absolute drama. I wasnt happy with my faves though. Max is off it right now. Tai just needed to be back in action. The atmosphere was great. As for the coverage i think the commentary is better than what it is like in any other Sport. And it was staying on air for quite a long time after. Normally i am glued. I had to do a couple of things so i switched off straight after the final. 

Brilliant meeting!

When speedway gets it right, it is the best couple of hours of sport you can get.. :t:

Went to Wrocław a few weeks ago and saw Sporta win 54-36 (sans Tai) in an up to date stadium with loads of young fans. A kid of about 10 was leading the singing at one point.. 

An excellent meeting, with Nige's blanket much in evidence that afternoon.

Well done all around to Poland last night.. :t:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Leicester Lion said:

It's such a shame that when anyone looks back at recordings of what was one of the greatest GPs ever, those incredible moments will have those two with their whoas and wows as the soundtrack, unable to produce real commentary to match the high quality of the racing.

the two do a great job

• Like 1