British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
grootwitmens

Mac Woolford

I have just discovered that Mac Woodford a rider for Swindon 12 the 70's I think is a relative of mine . Does anyone have any information , Stories or photo's of Com or his brother Jim . 

Thanks

I know that he rode for Romford. Have a feeling that there was an interview with him in either 'Backtrack' or 'Classic' Magazine?

Good young rider in the early 70s. Would have started in the southern training schools of the time at Eastbourne and Lew Coffins School at Weymouth.  I think he won the British Junior Championship in about 1972 - representing Eastbourne I think.  That was a very prestigious title at the time and was won by a number of future top riders. Unfortunately Mac retired very early in his career due to injury. 

That at is all from memory and with age playing memory tricks these days I am quite happy to be corrected by anyone knowing more. 

Hope me this helps. 

:)

On 10/14/2018 at 9:18 PM, steve roberts said:

I know that he rode for Romford. Have a feeling that there was an interview with him in either 'Backtrack' or 'Classic' Magazine?

Don't remember him ever riding for Romford. He was born in Purton on 1 August 1945, and spent his career which lasted from 1968 and 1971 riding for Swindon and Eastbourne. I do remember seeing him ride for Swindon at Poole when he was just starting out, looping at the gate on his first ride and ending up with the bike on top of him.  Looked rather painful.

Never quite made it for the Robins but a solid scorer for the Eagles.

Edited by HertsRacer

14 minutes ago, HertsRacer said:

Don't remember him ever riding for Romford. He was born in Purton on 1 August 1945, and spent his career which lasted from 1968 and 1971 riding for Swindon and Eastbourne. I do remember seeing him ride for Swindon at Poole when he was just starting out, looping at the gate on his first ride and ending up with the bike on top of him.  Looked rather painful.

Never quite made it for the Robins but a solid scorer for the Eagles.

Apologies! For some strange reason I got him mixed up with Phil Woodcock! Don't ask me how!!

• Like 1

Remember him smashing into lamp standard at Swindon, and sparks shooting out! Purton boy,  number 8, was/is builder. Brother Jim rode second halves at Blunsdon.One of them moved to Cornwall i heard.

Edited by auntie doris