British Speedway Forum
Hawk127

Fixture shambles - An annual event

And so the shambles appears to continue with the Panthers and Rye House/Lakeside with Workington waiting in the wings and eight days to the end of the month and still nothing decided. Feel sorry for Workington.

But what can one say about this joke of a sport.

Best decision that the AGM could make for 2019 is scrap the top two leagues and simply have individual meetings. That will give the incompetent lunatics allegedly in charge and control of events time to work out a winning formula for 2020. Until then most supporters have found other things to do because of the irregular fixtures this year so no real loss for the fans who may just crave more speedway if they see some close individual meetings. Alternatively rally around the NL teams that are the future.

On 10/18/2018 at 6:10 PM, waytogo28 said:

Decisions made by Mr Godfrey and/or Mr Chapman should not be confused with whims.

They both prefer

A WIN AWAY

A WIN AWAY

6 minutes ago, Triple.H. said:

They both prefer

A WIN AWAY

A WIN AWAY

Isnt that a song by Tight Fit? ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Isnt that a song by Tight Fit? ;)

The mechanics favourite band

Tyre Fit

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 11:38 AM, Woz01 said:

Run the league from march, plan the Play off final August bank holiday weekend and run a cup competition for September + October

Yes, I agree wit this. Every year their is lack of effort to race meetings in April, May, June and July and then everything piles up in September and October! British speedway needs regular weekly home meetings. The only gaps should be rain offs.

• Like 1

On 10/15/2018 at 9:26 AM, Daniel Smith said:

The Championship fixture struggle was down to Rob Godfrey's selfishness and bitterness. Cancelling weeks of team fixtures so he could use their rider's as guests.

Chapman and Godfrey are a disaster partnership for British Speedway. They need to be removed come the BSPA AGM.

Correct   150%

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crazyb said:

Correct   150%

still don't see how the (official) fixtures were allowed to be altered - if I remember correctly Peterborough continued to stage their matches after being asked to cancel them - a pity the other clubs didn't do the same - it would serve the bspa right if a breakaway group was formed (I am told a similar thing happened in darts a few years ago) - it has happened before (anyone remember the provincial league being formed?)

The play-offs and cup finals in NL and Champ seem to typically involve the same 2 or 3 sides. So some teams have to finish their competitive season before the play off cut off date; whilst a small number then run right up to end of October in a battle to get extra matches in. Seems to me this is totally out of balance and suits no teams (either the successful or the unsuccessful)! I would ditch the play-offs. Have a k.o. cup by all means as the finale to the season. All we get now is duplication of matches between the same sides. Far from helping the season reach a crescendo, it just flops like a runover cat.   

The answer isn't scrapping the playoffs it's ensuring teams get their fixtures scheduled and run well before the cut off date, which should be the end of August, and if they don't there should be serious consequences.

• Like 2

It's happened before, why wouldn't it happen again... I seem to remember a competition final taking place at Coventry on November the 1st in the past, think it was a Sunday afternoon... And didn't Oxford and CH share the cup for 6 months each back in the 80's because they couldn't get their fixtures done? Or am I imagining that/both

7 hours ago, CUFC_Brummie said:

The answer isn't scrapping the playoffs it's ensuring teams get their fixtures scheduled and run well before the cut off date, which should be the end of August, and if they don't there should be serious consequences.

I agree.

Simply state in the rules that the cut off date is the 31st August for the play off and the league positions at that date stand irrespective of the number of fixtures completed/still to complete.

Start the season in April and clubs have five months to complete one home and one away league meeting.

Outside those league meetings you can have regional cup (North/South preliminaries and the top of each division meet in a final October to crown regional champions).

Those who do not qualify for league play off are put into a shoot out cup meeting. One meeting no home and away. Any team that has a eight point advantage is handicapped in the next race with the highest scoring participant going off 15 metres. It is simply a knockout and the winner goes to the next round and the losers lick their wounds. No second chance.

I digress with the above knowing that no one listens but so many on this forum have come up with so many good ideas to make the sport more entertaining with ways to attract new punters etc. yet the collective powers that be think they know what the customer wants. How wrong they are and if by leaving things as they are with no radical changes you believe it’s OK, check your gate receipts next season and let everyone know the percentage fall year on year. With that fall what will you do?

Rather than make the product more attractive, you will probably try and reduce the number of meetings further to match the drop in income. No wonder some are on the brink of closure. The BSPA do not deserve the free pool of ideas that are put forward by loyal supporters on here whose loyalty is being tested to breaking point.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hawk127 said:

The BSPA do not deserve the free pool of ideas that are put forward by loyal supporters on here whose loyalty is being tested to breaking point.

They do not read them, or listen to the ideas and quite honestly prefer not to have them, seeing only negative criticism in feedback.

11 hours ago, CUFC_Brummie said:

Agree

3 hours ago, Hawk127 said:

I agree.

Simply state in the rules that the cut off date is the 31st August for the play off and the league positions at that date stand irrespective of the number of fixtures completed/still to complete.

Agree and disagree. 

The cut-off should be the 31st August. If any of the teams haven't completed their fixtures and they are in a Play-Off position, they should be expelled from the Play-Offs. 

Allowing a team to maintain a Play-Off position while not completing their fixtures will give teams reasons to not complete them.

If there's 8 teams, top 3 and the bottom club are the only ones to complete their fixtures then that bottom club is then promoted to a Play-Off spot.

Reading this thread I thought it was the SGBP where all speedway's problems are?!  Clearly the SGBC is its own worst enemy in bringing the sport down.

20 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Agree

Agree and disagree. 

The cut-off should be the 31st August. If any of the teams haven't completed their fixtures and they are in a Play-Off position, they should be expelled from the Play-Offs. 

Allowing a team to maintain a Play-Off position while not completing their fixtures will give teams reasons to not complete them.

If there's 8 teams, top 3 and the bottom club are the only ones to complete their fixtures then that bottom club is then promoted to a Play-Off spot.

I agree there should be a cut off but end of August is far too soon