British Speedway Forum

I think dropping averages in the Premiership will allow for better control of wages. Every rider can come in on a fixed wage from 1-7. 

The most points that can possible be paid home and away is 105 (75+15 bonus points).

Obviously that won't be reached by any team but you have to work with the absolute possibility.

£250 per point = £26,250

£15 admission for over 21

£10 admission for 16-20

Free Under 16

1750 over 21's will break even.

Working on those values, along with sponsorships other overheads should be able to be covered. 

Also, tac subs when 8 behind

All rider's must complete a minimum of 2 rides.

Maximum number of rides is 6

Every team must have a minimum of 3 British rider's, 1 of which must be under 21.

The Championship to be average capped to 45 and wages capped to £100 per point, 4 rider's minimum must be British with 2 under 21.

42 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

I think dropping averages in the Premiership will allow for better control of wages. Every rider can come in on a fixed wage from 1-7. 

The most points that can possible be paid home and away is 105 (75+15 bonus points).

Obviously that won't be reached by any team but you have to work with the absolute possibility.

£250 per point = £26,250

£10 admission for 16-20

Free Under 16

:nono:1750 over 21's will break even.

Working on those values, along with sponsorships other overheads should be able to be covered. 

Every team must have a minimum of 3 British rider's, 1 of which must be under 21.

The Championship to be average capped to 45 and wages capped to £100 per point, 4 rider's minimum must be British with 2 under 21.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, topaz325 said:

Even if they did cap the wages, there would  always be some promoter getting their sponsor to top it up, just wouldn't work unfortunately.

57 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

£250 per point = £26,250

£10 admission for 16-20

Free Under 16

1750 over 21's will break even.

doubt its that easy.   you are fogetting all the other costs associated with running a meeting.      lights, track staff, ambulance, insurance, bar staff.     My list is far from complete.

9 minutes ago, Mark said:

doubt its that easy.   you are fogetting all the other costs associated with running a meeting.      lights, track staff, ambulance, insurance, bar staff.     My list is far from complete.

I know it's far more complicated but I'd worked the values at worst possible. There will never be a team to average 75 point. Probably never average over 50. So to include bonus points, if you say 55 point average you'll only need 917 full paying adults. 

So, with no averages teams can be more strength in depth, less admission costs and all bills covered confidently. 

One of the most important things should be to introduce a wage cap and the removal of the chairman and vice-chairman. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

I know it's far more complicated but I'd worked the values at worst possible. There will never be a team to average 75 point. Probably never average over 50. So to include bonus points, if you say 55 point average you'll only need 917 full paying adults. 

So, with no averages teams can be more strength in depth, less admission costs and all bills covered confidently. 

One of the most important things should be to introduce a wage cap and the removal of the chairman and vice-chairman. 

On average teams will score 90 points, 45 at home and 45 away (not including bonus points). Remember, you have to pay the points money for both meetings out of one home meeting's income. That means 1,500 full paying adults, just to pay the wages.

1500? Try basing a budget on a third of that, then go forward. When and if crowds pick up, pay picks up. Hoping 1500 turn up is suicide. At the Div 2 tracks in the north a 20 pc crowd increase is probably only another 100 or so people. Its time to be realistic and go into survival mode first, then try and build.

• Like 7

9 hours ago, mikebv said:

Suggested something similar to a Promoter about 20 years ago...

He spent the next two minutes after my suggestion working out how much it was going to cost him in 'lost revenue' by giving away free and discounted entry over several weeks...

That would be 'lost revenue' that wasn't actually there in the first place because the people being targeted were those that were never attending....!!!

He also was concerned that these tickets could end up being received by fans who actually did attend and this would hit income...

I tactfully tried to explain that given the fact that as more than 99.9% of the 2.5 million people living less than 45 mins away don't attend, it was probably 'not too likely' many actual fans would gain from it but obviously there may be an odd one..

Bottom line is that the sport in a team guise (in the UK), is a busted flush...

And has now gone too far to ever get credibility to be regarded as 'proper' by national mainstream media and treated seriously by them.

And without that coverage crowds can never improve...

To not believe what you were told, is you showing your lack of knowledge. I attend every show/event that Newcastle puts on around our area, and the 'free' tickets used to regularly turn up at the gate being used by a regular fan. When we talk to a member of the public, and there is a hint of a friend/relative that goes to speedway, the 'free' tickets stay in my pocket and they are not on offer. Even more so if there is a family ticket for 4 people being used for that promotion.

Your third line is pure theory, not fact..

On 10/21/2018 at 9:45 AM, MattK said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying everything is rosy, I just don't believe that one big league is the solution. It will be seen as a major weakening for Premiership teams, which is the approach tried for the last decade (with inevitable consequences) and I believe will result in a cost increase for Championship teams. Frankly, I don't think tinkering with the league structure will do anything to attract fans.

If 10 ambassadors bring 20 newbies each meeting and just half return for the discounted meeting (say £9 entry) and 10% return longer term this would create 300 new fans per season and generate almost £50k in additional revenue. The cost to the clubs is minimal as the people being offered free tickets wouldn't be attending without them.

Can anybody remember the reasons why there was "one big league" tried before 20 or so years ago? Hasn't it already been tried and failed? Why would you do the same again expecting a different result.

I have often taken noobs i work with along to Speedway as they're curious as to the thing I'm into... And I've always been lucky! You're always running the chance of attending a disaster meeting and that's the trouble with Speedway, you go to most other sports and you know exactly what you're going to get at Speedway it can be anything to lack of medical cover to floodlight failure and all of the numerous disasters waiting to happen in between that makes attending akin to a game of Russian roulette

On 10/21/2018 at 10:37 AM, MattK said:

I agree about promoting speedway to kids. It is a waste of time. Speedway has nothing to offer youngsters. The target market is over 40 and that's who clubs should be trying to attract.

It is the way it's done at the moment, they're just not interested, you don't see many kids at speedway actually watching the racing, they're there because the parents want to go and can't/don't sort babysitting out, they're often just left to cause a nuisance to all the other full price paying punters. BUT today more than ever there is a chance to get kids engaged with the use of technology, all bikes should be fitted with transponders and linked to some kind of interactive app that the kids can have on their phones that they can play with other kids at the same event, with colourful cartoon like characatures of the riders with collectables such as a selfie with particular riders etc. etc. Trouble is it's probably far too late for the sport to fund such a thing these days

Edited by iainb

It doesn't matter how many teams are in each league, if the stadiums are messy and unclean, the racing and atmosphere poor, then no one will want to come.

The clubs in this country can't even get the basics right, (Belle Vue probably the exception, nice stadium, great track)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, marko said:

It doesn't matter how many teams are in each league, if the stadiums are messy and unclean, the racing and atmosphere poor, then no one will want to come.

The clubs in this country can't even get the basics right, (Belle Vue probably the exception, nice stadium, great track)

......but poor crowds.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, foamfence said:

......but poor crowds.

Yes... They've got the FRN right, just needs to be the right N! Surely it's time to switch to Friday, Saturday and Sunday and if riders don't want to do that they can find other jobs to do

• Like 5

For premiership league. If there’s only 6 teams  Start the season May bank holiday . Run cup matches , shields etc up until mid July then have league programme with one round each with the grand final done and dusted by middle of September. Create like a t20 cricket concept of fun. If we can’t get gp riders to do league racing why not have some kind of challenge after the match where the 2 top point scorers race off to have a best of 3 against a gp rider say Bartosz Zmarslik etc 

After attending Rye House yesterday I think that the sport in the UK is currently run at an incompentance level. What they should be aiming for is to bring the sport up to an amateur level.  This can be done by scraping team speedway, getting a mainstream motorcycle manufactuerer involved, standadise equipment and getting  the the riders to pay to participate. This happens in the majority of amateur motorsport and for the organisers ensures profitability and continuity for their sports. So what about the professional side of speedway in the UK. Well that is dead now and should be left to the people who know how to do it Poland and Sweden.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

It seems to me that the BSPA, collectively, have given up on "marketing" or "promoting" other than putting things up on social media. They seem to believe that 50% of people on Facebook are eager to get to a match. And leave it to fate.

• Like 1