British Speedway Forum

5 hours ago, iainb said:

Yes... They've got the FRN right, just needs to be the right N! Surely it's time to switch to Friday, Saturday and Sunday and if riders don't want to do that they can find other jobs to do

Poole couldn't do that as last time I looked greyhounds had all those days.

Edit - looks like they've changed the Friday for a Tuesday! So potentially Poole could do a Friday. Would actually suit me better too, no after school activities that day! :D

Edited by lisa-colette

21 hours ago, Tsunami said:

To not believe what you were told, is you showing your lack of knowledge. I attend every show/event that Newcastle puts on around our area, and the 'free' tickets used to regularly turn up at the gate being used by a regular fan. When we talk to a member of the public, and there is a hint of a friend/relative that goes to speedway, the 'free' tickets stay in my pocket and they are not on offer. Even more so if there is a family ticket for 4 people being used for that promotion.

Your third line is pure theory, not fact..

Got to say if many free tickets got into the hands of regulars then I would suggest the marketing plan isn't a great one...

2.5 Million people live in Grt Manchester...

About 1400 go to BV...

(And some of them are from further afield than McR)..

So not too many should get into the regulars hands given those odds...

And given the huge market to go at, the size of the prize should withstand the odd ticket finding its way to a regular surely?

However, when I spoke with the Promoter it was a long time ago and time has moved on, and giving out free tickets physically is no longer required given the digital age, meaning a far easier way of targeting your market....

As several have said, the sport cannot attract 'kids' as they are not interested therefore it should target the 30+ somethings that hopefully can vaguely remember it when it had a decent following...

Geting a couple of hundred of 30/40 (and above) year olds would be a bit easier to achieve than getting kids and their parents there..

Do it via a professional social media campaign and start some constant engagement with your potential customer base..

Or alternatively put some leaflets on cars in Supermarkets or ask your regulars to 'bring a friend'...:D

2 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Poole couldn't do that as last time I looked greyhounds had all those days.

Edit - looks like they've changed the Friday for a Tuesday! So potentially Poole could do a Friday. Would actually suit me better too, no after school activities that day! :D

You... And no doubt, hundreds of others

45 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Got to say if many free tickets got into the hands of regulars then I would suggest the marketing plan isn't a great one...

2.5 Million people live in Grt Manchester...

About 1400 go to BV...

(And some of them are from further afield than McR)..

So not too many should get into the regulars hands given those odds...

And given the huge market to go at, the size of the prize should withstand the odd ticket finding its way to a regular surely?

However, when I spoke with the Promoter it was a long time ago and time has moved on, and giving out free tickets physically is no longer required given the digital age, meaning a far easier way of targeting your market....

As several have said, the sport cannot attract 'kids' as they are not interested therefore it should target the 30+ somethings that hopefully can vaguely remember it when it had a decent following...

Geting a couple of hundred of 30/40 (and above) year olds would be a bit easier to achieve than getting kids and their parents there..

Do it via a professional social media campaign and start some constant engagement with your potential customer base..

Or alternatively put some leaflets on cars in Supermarkets or ask your regulars to 'bring a friend'...:D

You really done grasp it do you. As I said we became more selective and now there is a better use of the freebie tickets because of it. 

It's got nothing too do with odds and size of the larger population.

Going to a show, you have the potential new customer in front of you, so it is best to selectively give out the freebies there and then.  Do you suggest we tell said customer to look at the website when he/she gets home ? 

Are you for real. Remember the 4000 crowd after the freebies at Lakeside were given out en masse. 

Brilliant answer, so they are all allegedly going to bring a friend eh. See previous answer about Lakeside.

When I read some of the comments on threads like this, I often wonder if maybe the promoters are still the best to run the sport.:party: 

Edited by Tsunami
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

You really done grasp it do you. As I said we became more selective and now there is a better use of the freebie tickets because of it. 

It's got nothing too do with odds and size of the larger population.

Going to a show, you have the potential new customer in front of you, so it is best to selectively give out the freebies there and then.  Do you suggest we tell said customer to look at the website when he/she gets home ? 

Are you for real. Remember the 4000 crowd after the freebies at Lakeside were given out en masse. 

Brilliant answer, so they are all allegedly going to bring a friend eh. See previous answer about Lakeside.

When I read some of the comments on threads like this, I often wonder if maybe the promoters are still the best to run the sport.:party: 

:D

You are right...

Best leave it to the professionals...

If only Lakeside had said 'bring a friend' it could all have been so different...

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, mikebv said:

You are right...

Best leave it to the professionals...

If only Lakeside had said 'bring a friend' it could all have been so different...

The professional promoters have proved what they can really do for the sport of speedway in the UK over the last - let's say 20 years ( this century ) and we can all see the results for ourselves. So yes, let's leave it to them to continue their work. After all, we ( the terrace supporters ) have little choice anyway.

It's just too damn expensive, who'd pay £17 to go see something they have zero interest in, not me. Run weekends, slash the price to a tenner

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, iainb said:

It's just too damn expensive, who'd pay £17 to go see something they have zero interest in, not me. Run weekends, slash the price to a tenner

Nobody is going to pay £10 to see something they have zero interest in, either.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Grachan said:

Nobody is going to pay £10 to see something they have zero interest in, either.

A fiver?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, iainb said:

A fiver?

And the rest.

Truth is, if people have zero interest in something they aren't even going to go if it's free.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Grachan said:

And the rest.

Truth is, if people have zero interest in something they aren't even going to go if it's free.

I dunno... I could be tempted along to a T20 match on a nice sunny night for a few beers... I have zero interest

14 hours ago, iainb said:

I dunno... I could be tempted along to a T20 match on a nice sunny night for a few beers... I have zero interest

You've obviously considered it to write the comment and to decide you could be tempted, so not quite zero interest.

That's who the promoters need to target, those who could be tempted. You could quickly glean who they are by talking to people at shows and in shopping malls etc.

• Like 4

You can't cut the product even further. Reducing it hasnt worked and a lot of fans like seeing the best. 

Can't make it worse. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, poolebolton said:

You can't cut the product even further. Reducing it hasnt worked and a lot of fans like seeing the best. 

Can't make it worse. 

Income dictates action, how about a league with just Poole in it?

8 hours ago, Aces51 said:

You've obviously considered it to write the comment and to decide you could be tempted, so not quite zero interest.

That's who the promoters need to target, those who could be tempted. You could quickly glean who they are by talking to people at shows and in shopping malls etc.

Probably, I have zero interest in doing anything about it though... A reasonably priced ticket and maybe a free pint and a burger or something could get me thinking about going along