British Speedway Forum

6 hours ago, Gemini said:

100% correct.  Not many fans were interested in second half racing 20/30 years ago and they're certainly not going to be bothered now with the majority of riders also  in a rush to leave after the league match. 

Years ago the rider was of secondary  importance to the Club,  but now the rider holds all the aces.   With their demands, their costings and their distant relation with the clubs, they have to take some responsibility for the way this sport has declined.   They appear as mercenaries taking the sport for all they can get,  giving little back in return.   Like you say  the majority of riders want to rush off to their next payday.     If the rider cant give 110% to the club then  don't sign them,      Would much rather have a lesser rider who gives his all,  then someone who goes missing because of fixture clashes 

The phase 'second halves'   is old fashioned.  what the punter wants is a well organised meeting that flows through the evening.    We could start with a 15min practice session ,  to help riders set their bike up,  then a 5min break to regrade the track,  before the meeting starts in earnest.   After 4 heats  another 5min break,    again to regrade the track,     another 4 heats  then another break .     We see this every week in the polish league and it works like clockwork....     Midway though the meeting there could be a set of races for youngsters starting out , before the climate at the end of the night.      Presentation and a scheduled program is more important than anything,    It would enable the fans the opportunity to get drinks or pop to the loo without them long delays... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, g13webb said:

Years ago the rider was of secondary  importance to the Club,  but now the rider holds all the aces.   With their demands, their costings and their distant relation with the clubs, they have to take some responsibility for the way this sport has declined.   They appear as mercenaries taking the sport for all they can get,  giving little back in return.   Like you say  the majority of riders want to rush off to their next payday.     If the rider cant give 110% to the club then  don't sign them,      Would much rather have a lesser rider who gives his all,  then someone who goes missing because of fixture clashes 

The phase 'second halves'   is old fashioned.  what the punter wants is a well organised meeting that flows through the evening.    We could start with a 15min practice session ,  to help riders set their bike up,  then a 5min break to regrade the track,  before the meeting starts in earnest.   After 4 heats  another 5min break,    again to regrade the track,     another 4 heats  then another break .     We see this every week in the polish league and it works like clockwork....     Midway though the meeting there could be a set of races for youngsters starting out , before the climate at the end of the night.      Presentation and a scheduled program is more important than anything,    It would enable the fans the opportunity to get drinks or pop to the loo without them long delays... 

Far too sensible an idea to catch on.

By the way, I came to an early meeting at Lynn and they had "hot heats" or whatever it was called. I thought it was quite interesting, although could have been organised a bit better. 

As Robin Brundle said at the time, in other forms of motor sport you can official practice sessions before a race.

A few weeks later I came again and no hot heats  - and I never saw any at any subsequent meetings I came to (although not every week). 

Did they just not do them when I was there or were they dropped altogether?

34 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

Far too sensible an idea to catch on.

By the way, I came to an early meeting at Lynn and they had "hot heats" or whatever it was called. I thought it was quite interesting, although could have been organised a bit better. 

As Robin Brundle said at the time, in other forms of motor sport you can official practice sessions before a race.

A few weeks later I came again and no hot heats  - and I never saw any at any subsequent meetings I came to (although not every week). 

Did they just not do them when I was there or were they dropped altogether?

Think the "hot heats" were dropped because Kings Lynn were not giving the away side the same opportunity to be on the track prior to heat 1 which quite rightly was deemed to be unfair.

Just to clarify the earlier post which you responded to- the grading breaks in Poland are after heat 4, 7 , 10 and 13 with the longest break after heat 13 so that the nominations for heats 14 and 15 are made.

16 hours ago, mikebv said:

Or allow guest fans?

Or just simply stick to asking those who still go to "Bring a Friend"...:D

One upside of the aging demographic of the speedway fan is that soon they'll be bringing their carers along, it might just save the sport :D

Edited by iainb
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Do you mean carers? But If someone had a career in marketing, that could help! :D

Yes I do

1 hour ago, iainb said:

One upside of the aging demographic of the speedway fan is that soon they'll be bringing their carers along, it might just save the sport :D

25 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Do you mean carers? But If someone had a career in marketing, that could help! :D

Taking a carer along might not be a bad idea, could use somebody to stand in the food/beer queue ensuring i don't miss any of the speedway action.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

They need to bring back uncovered wickets, levy hefty fines if 90 overs are not bowled in a day, and cut out those ridiculous hourly drinks breaks.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, racers and royals said:

Think the "hot heats" were dropped because Kings Lynn were not giving the away side the same opportunity to be on the track prior to heat 1 which quite rightly was deemed to be unfair.

Just to clarify the earlier post which you responded to- the grading breaks in Poland are after heat 4, 7 , 10 and 13 with the longest break after heat 13 so that the nominations for heats 14 and 15 are made.

The only "hot heats" I saw was against Belle Vue - and the Aces had their turn on track. To be fair, they didn't look very interested, by and large.

5 hours ago, g13webb said:

Midway though the meeting there could be a set of races for youngsters starting out , before the climate at the end of the night.  

I am not so sure that's a good idea. What if the air fence got damaged and held up the main match half way through? Like you say the meeting needs to flow but the league match is what the majority of us want to see so that should be run through without any interruptions. I even get fed up with all the track grading as I don't think half of it is necessary. :D

27 minutes ago, Gemini said:

I am not so sure that's a good idea. What if the air fence got damaged and held up the main match half way through? Like you say the meeting needs to flow but the league match is what the majority of us want to see so that should be run through without any interruptions. I even get fed up with all the track grading as I don't think half of it is necessary. :D

I must be one of the few that does not mind track grading.At Belle vue the grading keeps the dirt where it should be and helps to produce some awesome racing.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Gemini said:

Personally i like additional races taking place throughout the meeting BUT in reality it is a big risk, im certain some refs don't allow it and there would eventually be crashes that cause delays due to track damage or paramedic attention. I think IOW's season finale was ended early due to something like that.

1 hour ago, Gemini said:

The club can always run these meetings after the main meeting, and any fans that want to get away early can leave after the main meeting.  This is what used to happen, after the main meeting a few races for juniors or any riders that wanted to test out bikes etc, or the club checking out a new rider. 

• Like 4

One Belle Vue meeting i went to they had track grading after more or less every couple of heats however nearly every single race was a good one. No complaints from anyone then

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, bruno said:

One Belle Vue meeting i went to they had track grading after more or less every couple of heats however nearly every single race was a good one. No complaints from anyone then

And I bet the meeting still finished at approx 21:00/21:15