British Speedway Forum

3 hours ago, B.V 72 said:

I must be one of the few that does not mind track grading.At Belle vue the grading keeps the dirt where it should be and helps to produce some awesome racing.

Same here...gave a chance to talk tactics etc with one's mates on the terraces.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, A ORLOV said:

The club can always run these meetings after the main meeting, and any fans that want to get away early can leave after the main meeting.  This is what used to happen, after the main meeting a few races for juniors or any riders that wanted to test out bikes etc, or the club checking out a new rider. 

2 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Must admit I can't understand the mentality of folks on here who go to speedway, who are looking to get away from the meeting as soon as possible. At the end of the day it's a night out, and as long as the meeting is progressing at a decent pace, what's there to complain about. What's wrong with grading, unless it is long winded, after the grading the track should be better to then maintain a similar  standard to keep to decent racing. At Newcastle we always aim to have 6 races( 125 and 500 3 races each) after every meeting with invited riders, that is when we do not have an NJL meeting which takes up about 6 or 7 second halfs in the season.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Richard Weston said:

The only "hot heats" I saw was against Belle Vue - and the Aces had their turn on track. To be fair, they didn't look very interested, by and large.

'Hot laps' were stopped by the SCB I believe because of insurance.... 

31 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Must admit I can't understand the mentality of folks on here who go to speedway, who are looking to get away from the meeting as soon as possible. At the end of the day it's a night out, and as long as the meeting is progressing at a decent pace, what's there to complain about. What's wrong with grading, unless it is long winded, after the grading the track should be better to then maintain a similar  standard to keep to decent racing. At Newcastle we always aim to have 6 races( 125 and 500 3 races each) after every meeting with invited riders, that is when we do not have an NJL meeting which takes up about 6 or 7 second halfs in the season.

At certain times of the season standing on the bends at Blunsdon while the riders muck about or the ref has multiple restarts from the tapes or other forms of wasting time and a meeting takes 2 hr 30 mins in the cold wind that Blunsdon gets, many do want to get away and some leave before the end of the meeting. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, A ORLOV said:

The club can always run these meetings after the main meeting, and any fans that want to get away early can leave after the main meeting.  This is what used to happen, after the main meeting a few races for juniors or any riders that wanted to test out bikes etc, or the club checking out a new rider. 

Agree...those that don't wish to stay on after the main event can please themselves. I used to enjoy second halves...certainly during Oxford's tie up with sister clubs Eastbourne and Peterborough. Also when 'The Cheetahs' competeted in the National League it was interesting watching untried new talent. Night out at the speedway was what I enjoyed and a chance to meet up with mates and have a good chat. As long as the whole thing was wrapped up by ten.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tsunami said:

I like nothing better than standing around for about 3 hours on a cold wet night in October.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, topaz325 said:

I like nothing better than standing around for about 3 hours on a cold wet night in October.

Neither do I, but !!!!!!!   Second half is free if you want it. :D

• Like 2

2 hours ago, topaz325 said:

Those nights rarely exist these days! Freezing cold October nights, nah haven't experienced one of those lately! And if you have, what a successful year your club has had yayyyy! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, steve roberts said:

The important word in that sentence is 'gave'.........meaning in the past. I used to really enjoy matches at Coventry when there was a group of us  and Speedway was just an interruption to the fun we had  so I didn't really notice how many track grades there were, but it's not the same at Leicester with just the dog for company who spends the evening asleep. :D

10 hours ago, Trees said:

'Hot laps' were stopped by the SCB I believe because of insurance.... 

Understandable but a shame

5 hours ago, Gemini said:

The important word in that sentence is 'gave'.........meaning in the past. I used to really enjoy matches at Coventry when there was a group of us  and Speedway was just an interruption to the fun we had  so I didn't really notice how many track grades there were, but it's not the same at Leicester with just the dog for company who spends the evening asleep. :D

Yes it was noticeable that during my last ten years or so attending speedway that the people I knew around me on the third bend at Cowley began to diminish during that time to the extent that very few of us remained...and apparently the situation has only got worse around the tracks judging by the many comments on the forum. I'm just glad that I went during the seventies and eighties when crowds were still appreciable although Oxford did attract relatively good crowds right up until I ceased to go (early 2000's) due to relocation. Just glad that my Dad was not around to see the collapse of speedway, and at Cowley in particular, having first gone back in 1949.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Tsunami said:

For me it's not about wanting to get away early or the length of the meeting, it's whether you have have been entertained over the period of the evening. You are quite right it is a night out but the customer has a right to be entertained for his hard earned money. I have been to 2.5 hours meetings where I have been bored but equally been to 3.5 hour meetings where there has been plenty going on like rider interviews, decent PA announcements and music etc and I have thoroughly enjoyed the evening. We have to accept that speedway is not like most sports involving a ball where it is wall to wall action, this is motorsport and will be periods of inactivity. I regularly go to MotoGP and BSB meetings for a whole day and its not boring because there is plenty going on so speedway should really have no problem keeping customers happy for 2 to 3 hours!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Gemini said:

it's not the same at Leicester with just the dog for company who spends the evening asleep. :D

The dog is probably having a better time than you! Especially at BP :D

41 minutes ago, TesarRacing said:

For me it's not about wanting to get away early or the length of the meeting, it's whether you have have been entertained over the period of the evening. You are quite right it is a night out but the customer has a right to be entertained for his hard earned money. I have been to 2.5 hours meetings where I have been bored but equally been to 3.5 hour meetings where there has been plenty going on like rider interviews, decent PA announcements and music etc and I have thoroughly enjoyed the evening. We have to accept that speedway is not like most sports involving a ball where it is wall to wall action, this is motorsport and will be periods of inactivity. I regularly go to MotoGP and BSB meetings for a whole day and its not boring because there is plenty going on so speedway should really have no problem keeping customers happy for 2 to 3 hours!

I went to a couple of American Football games at Wembley back in the eighties and I have to confess that all the activity off the field bored me and the whole thing went on for what seemed like hours...considering a game is in four quarters each of 15 minutes duration! Personally I don't want to be 'entertained' by fire eaters, jugglers you name it whilst there is a gap in play so that adverts can be accomodated on the TV.

Meetings at Cowley during the days of second halves would commnence at 7-45 and end at ten on most occasions...however day time meetings were sometimes another matter but like the sadly missed 'Wiggy' I always prefered watching racing at night under lights.

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 2:05 PM, Ghosty said:

One thing I think we all agree on is that: British Speedway supporters do not want the product that has been on offer the last few seasons i.e. team A + guest verses team B + guest this is the biggest reason for the drop in crowd numbers.

For 2019 riders must be loyal to their U.K. team & promoters loyal to their signed riders - no team changes @ the drop of a hat, fans may then see their team as "US" not just tonight's "7 select".

Also I would bring back for 2019 13 heats & a second half, not because it's better or worse than the current 15 heats, it would just be a change!   

We gone over this before .last year they brought in a rule of fixed race nights to help stop guests etc ..what did the fans say to that ? well they moaned that they wanted there race nights back ...

Swindon etc had the best year in many years for keeping there 1 to 7 intact last year ,but did it help the crowds ? not at all ...Speedway biggest problem is that the standard of rider has dropped, sadly even thou that is quite clear most on here what to  lower that Standard even more thinking that 7 crap riders who turn up  every week will bring the crowds in 

• Like 2