British Speedway Forum

13 minutes ago, orion said:

We gone over this before .last year they brought in a rule of fixed race nights to help stop guests etc ..what did the fans say to that ? well they moaned that they wanted there race nights back ...

Swindon etc had the best year in many years for keeping there 1 to 7 intact last year ,but did it help the crowds ? not at all ...Speedway biggest problem is that the standard of rider has dropped, sadly even thou that is quite clear most on here what to  lower that Standard even more thinking that 7 crap riders who turn up  every week will bring the crowds in 

I think the definition of "crap" is largely important here as middle tier second strings are entirely different to riders just starting out. The problem with standard at present is that the gulf between riders is too vast. The GP's provide good racing and entertainment because the riders are of a similar level. Put on a match where all the riders average in min 4 and max 6 you will see a close entertaining meeting. Put on the current show where a 9+ point man goes to the tapes with a 2-3 point rider and wonder why we are served dull from the gate racing. 

• Like 6

17 hours ago, Trees said:

Those nights rarely exist these days! Freezing cold October nights, nah haven't experienced one of those lately! And if you have, what a successful year your club has had yayyyy! 

Yes, but could have been avoided.:rolleyes:

7 minutes ago, topaz325 said:

Yes, but could have been avoided.:rolleyes:

Cut it was worth it though surely.

I dont expect the up coming AGM to cure all of speedway`s ills but what I hope for is at least a start or more probably at least to stop the slide that we see currently. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

I think the definition of "crap" is largely important here as middle tier second strings are entirely different to riders just starting out. The problem with standard at present is that the gulf between riders is too vast. The GP's provide good racing and entertainment because the riders are of a similar level. Put on a match where all the riders average in min 4 and max 6 you will see a close entertaining meeting. Put on the current show where a 9+ point man goes to the tapes with a 2-3 point rider and wonder why we are served dull from the gate racing. 

I think you have a point but there have been times in the past when the gap between riders was bigger. In the 60s and 70s there were quite regularly riders averaging above 10 and sometimes over 11 and yet that period is seen as a golden age for the sport. Maybe we need to look at the formula to protect the weaker riders, as was the case back in the day when the reserve rode in heats 4 and 8 programmed with second strings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, screm said:

Cut it was worth it though surely.

I dont expect the up coming AGM to cure all of speedway`s ills but what I hope for is at least a start or more probably at least to stop the slide that we see currently. 

Yes was worth it I The end but cramming in five meetings in five days total madness.

18 hours ago, Trees said:

Those nights rarely exist these days! Freezing cold October nights, nah haven't experienced one of those lately! And if you have, what a successful year your club has had yayyyy! 

You must not have been at Swindon to often where the track is on top of a hill and gets very cold when the sun goes down and if there is a strong wind.  When I lived in KL and went to speedway it was rarely as cold as it gets here.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Chadster said:

I think you have a point but there have been times in the past when the gap between riders was bigger. In the 60s and 70s there were quite regularly riders averaging above 10 and sometimes over 11 and yet that period is seen as a golden age for the sport. Maybe we need to look at the formula to protect the weaker riders, as was the case back in the day when the reserve rode in heats 4 and 8 programmed with second strings.

some of the 'lesser' riders from the 60s and 70s speak of the highlights of their careers when they beat Mauger or Briggs, etc. So there was a massive gap and some riders trundled along with 3, 4 point averages for years.

And yet these were the glory years. So don't worry about the gap between top and bottom riders - it'll just make the top ones seem more appealing to audiences

In this week's SS there seems to be a trend towards making the Premiership stronger - both in terms of number of teams and a bigger points limit -  and the Championship 'weaker' to make more of a difference between SGBP and SGBC.

• Like 2

I would like to congratulate the SS this week for their current issue,  sure offers a good read.  Have spent much of today reading the various columns, and it so easy to see those different views from assorted positions.  It appears that all of them realise the dire situation the sport finds itself in,  but they all share different ideas of what is wrong...     I personally appreciated the views of DAVID HOWE who tried to explain the costs involved for the rider,   He spoke openly about the rising costs that need to be addressed.    It is obvious that the sport cant go in this same way.... 

Would love to be a fly on the wall at the forth coming AGM  just to see  who  speaks out for the sport  and what ideas they come up with.    

12 minutes ago, g13webb said:

I would like to congratulate the SS this week for their current issue,  sure offers a good read.  Have spent much of today reading the various columns, and it so easy to see those different views from assorted positions.  It appears that all of them realise the dire situation the sport finds itself in,  but they all share different ideas of what is wrong...     I personally appreciated the views of DAVID HOWE who tried to explain the costs involved for the rider,   He spoke openly about the rising costs that need to be addressed.    It is obvious that the sport cant go in this same way.... 

Would love to be a fly on the wall at the forth coming AGM  just to see  who  speaks out for the sport  and what ideas they come up with.    

I think you will find that the promoters have already had several discussions pre AGM as usual, and that Tuesday and Wednesday will be about making the arrangements for the new initiatives and  implementation, and getting the news out asap.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, g13webb said:

i'd sh*t on the sandwiches

Dont think the riders want any changes most double up and get plenty of guest rides.

The majority make good money and wouldn't want less meetings.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DBP said:

Dont think the riders want any changes most double up and get plenty of guest rides.

The majority make good money and wouldn't want less meetings.

that's why i think if it's anything to do with the riders it will stay as it is.

i have thought for a long time that the AGM should be held during the July SWC break, with discussions every month with every promoter

10 minutes ago, stevehone said:

that's why i think if it's anything to do with the riders it will stay as it is.

i have thought for a long time that the AGM should be held during the July SWC break, with discussions every month with every promoter

Effectively already the case - see below (or a few above - take your pick ;))

1 hour ago, Tsunami said:

I think you will find that the promoters have already had several discussions pre AGM as usual, and that Tuesday and Wednesday will be about making the arrangements for the new initiatives and  implementation, and getting the news out asap.  

12 minutes ago, stevehone said:

And that was the rub. There used to be General Council meetings every month upto the 00's and I gathered that,  due to poor attendances during the season and nothing seriously happening on a regular basis, it was decided to just call meetings on an adhoc basis if something required a full quorum. 

Answering Bruvs point above, there has always been pre AGM meeting/s every year to discuss the future, and sort out the finances owed between the promotions and the BSPA to finalise  the financial statement and shareout, before the AGM.

• Like 1