British Speedway Forum

21 minutes ago, stevehone said:

that's why i think if it's anything to do with the riders it will stay as it is.

i have thought for a long time that the AGM should be held during the July SWC break, with discussions every month with every promoter

Possibly now the emphasis should be on the sport in general and the fans for greater consideration.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, iainb said:

The dog is probably having a better time than you! Especially at BP :D

Yes unfortunately you are probably right.

9 hours ago, Tsunami said:

Possibly now the emphasis should be on the sport in general and the fans for greater consideration.

I would have thought the emphasis would have always been on the sport in general and the fans.   Running a sport for the sole benefit of the riders  was always a recipe for disaster.  I feel we only have ourselves to blame, cause anybody with any sense could see the figures don't add up ,  yet we continued making petty changes believing the product is right and the public will come back.

At last, it seems the penny has dropped,  now everyone is talking of change,.  Lets hope the  people in charge have the strength to make anew beginning, and come up with a workable idea,  that can take the sport forward for years to come.  

NB   I must say, I was well impressed with that SUPERHEAT SPEEDWAY.   What a brilliant idea.     We need to do something drastic because  the tired and trusted league formula has lost its appeal.   Why should we expect the public to come and watch league meetings when they mean nothing.       Probably if there were more emphasis put on each meeting the fans would find them more appealing.. 

• Like 1

Interesting the final set of averages have not been put up on the BSPA website, normally this is put up the end of October. Is this because plans afoot will mean averages will be changing? 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, g13webb said:

I personally appreciated the views of DAVID HOWE who tried to explain the costs involved for the rider,   He spoke openly about the rising costs that need to be addressed.    It is obvious that the sport cant go in this same way.... 

I've not read it but I hope to grab a copy at the weekend... Did David Howe or anybody for that matter also mention how much the riders are earning from the sport? Or is this still the world's best kept secret?

23 hours ago, orion said:

We gone over this before .last year they brought in a rule of fixed race nights to help stop guests etc ..what did the fans say to that ? well they moaned that they wanted there race nights back ...

Swindon etc had the best year in many years for keeping there 1 to 7 intact last year ,but did it help the crowds ? not at all ...Speedway biggest problem is that the standard of rider has dropped, sadly even thou that is quite clear most on here what to  lower that Standard even more thinking that 7 crap riders who turn up  every week will bring the crowds in 

Thank goodness that this wasn't the case back when I used to attend (1970's & 1980's) otherwise I couldn't have taken in White City (Wednesday), Oxford (Thursday) and Swindon (Saturday) and occasionally Eastbourne (Fridays and Sundays). Obviously fans used to travel around a lot more back in those days but of course that scenario has changed dramatically with the downturn the sport has been experiencing over the last 20 years or so for all manner of reasons.

I talk to many people at my place of work (tourism) who say that they used to go to speedway...a common observation amongst people now.

• Like 1

One thing that should be taken no notice of at this AGM is the opinion of rider's. Clubs need to look at reducing cost and encouraging larger spectator levels.

Riders in British Speedway are the ones that need to look at themselves. Example, do I really need a PJR (or equivalent) engine to be racing in British Speedway? The answer is no.

Do they really need super lightweight frames? No

Do they need different coloured wheels rather than the standard? No

etc etc

So, the BSPA just need to look at 2 things, bringing costs down and more spectators. These 2 go hand in hand as more spectators = better profits or at worst, smaller, controllable loses.

I still say that all the rider's in the leagues should be paid the same, whether a heatleader or a reserve. 

Premiership = £140 per point

Championship = £80pp

National League = £20pp

• Like 2

1 hour ago, iainb said:

I've not read it but I hope to grab a copy at the weekend... Did David Howe or anybody for that matter also mention how much the riders are earning from the sport? Or is this still the world's best kept secret?

In the article Howe said he was on the same money this season as he was in 2009 a think it was. 

2 hours ago, Pirates Of Poole said:

Interesting the final set of averages have not been put up on the BSPA website, normally this is put up the end of October. Is this because plans afoot will mean averages will be changing? 

I believe that the final set will be on the BSPA site once they have all been confirmed and agreed at the AGM.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, bloom89 said:

In the article Howe said he was on the same money this season as he was in 2009 a think it was. 

Remember being told that one of the Belle Vue 'Yanks' was on £500 a point back during the late 90's early 00's.

1 hour ago, bloom89 said:

12 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Remember being told that one of the Belle Vue 'Yanks' was on £500 a point back during the late 90's early 00's.

So as usual we don't actually know any figures

1 hour ago, bloom89 said:

Yes but he still gave up his job to go back to it.

1 hour ago, Daniel Smith said:

One thing that should be taken no notice of at this AGM is the opinion of rider's. Clubs need to look at reducing cost and encouraging larger spectator levels.

Riders in British Speedway are the ones that need to look at themselves. Example, do I really need a PJR (or equivalent) engine to be racing in British Speedway? The answer is no.

Do they really need super lightweight frames? No

Do they need different coloured wheels rather than the standard? No

etc etc

So, the BSPA just need to look at 2 things, bringing costs down and more spectators. These 2 go hand in hand as more spectators = better profits or at worst, smaller, controllable loses.

I still say that all the rider's in the leagues should be paid the same, whether a heatleader or a reserve. 

Premiership = £140 per point

Championship = £80pp

National League = £20pp

Agree with you especially the machinery, riders could save thousands by going back to basic bikes which in my opinion look like proper speedway bikes.

No fancy bike covers, wheels, guards, frames etc, I just want to see good racing it makes no difference to me if the are racing bikes that look like a F1 car.

Every time they crash they have to virtually rebuild the bike keep them basic and save shed loads of money.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, iainb said:

So as usual we don't actually know any figures

I heard from two championship riders they were on £60 and £70 a point this season. I was never told if there was any signing on fee or guarantee payment.