British Speedway Forum

2 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

One thing that should be taken no notice of at this AGM is the opinion of rider's. Clubs need to look at reducing cost and encouraging larger spectator levels.

Riders in British Speedway are the ones that need to look at themselves. Example, do I really need a PJR (or equivalent) engine to be racing in British Speedway? The answer is no.

Do they really need super lightweight frames? No

Do they need different coloured wheels rather than the standard? No

etc etc

So, the BSPA just need to look at 2 things, bringing costs down and more spectators. These 2 go hand in hand as more spectators = better profits or at worst, smaller, controllable loses.

I still say that all the rider's in the leagues should be paid the same, whether a heatleader or a reserve. 

Premiership = £140 per point

Championship = £80pp

National League = £20pp

you mention clubs reducing cost yet then seem to suggest a pay structure that would increase cost

there are very few riders in the Championship of £80/point now

sadly that level of payment would take 50% of the clubs out the league and bust the rest within 6 months  its basic ecconomics

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, waytogo28 said:

I hope that the AGM does not take too much notice of the opinions of Bomber Harris. If that is how the majority of British riders feel then speedway has no chance of rebuilding itself. "Can't go on" without doubling up. "Not worth the risk" without doubling up. Bomber is a terrific speedway racer but outside of his own backyard no-one in the outside world has heard of him and many of the 25,000 UK fans of speedway do not want doubling up. He needs to talk to more of them. If there were 250,000 UK fans prepared to pay to get in and were baying for Chris Harris then he might get the rewards he deserves for his racing skills.

What he did or didn't do at school is not the responsibility of supporters and he needs to really think about the day which comes to all riders ( except it seems Greg Hancock ) when they have to retire ( or want to retire or no-one wants to employ them ) life after speedway for all riders needs careful preparation and thinking about at a deep personal level.

Bomber is a prime example of riders who are driving the price of the sport up. He spends season upon season complaining about engines and speed and throws money at them to generate results and therefore his signing on demands are high but with the right averages he is a good signing so clubs give him the money. 

Then at the end of the year everything is for sale. So for example a rider does 30 meetings per league per season. Very good bike with all the right bits costs 10k. If and its a big if a complete bike can be sold for 3k at the end of the year a rider has done well. Thats a 14k loss over 8 months that he is trying to find out of fees and points money before he has even started. I cannot believe that 1 bike cannot complete 120 races before being passed it, thats only 2 hours old!

Riders need to look at maintenance of machinery not immediate replacements, A bike should be able to easily do 2 seasons and in reality many would last far beyond that. 

Edited by Sings4Speedway
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Bomber is a prime example of riders who are driving the price of the sport up. He spends season upon season complaining about engines and speed and throws money at them to generate results and therefore his signing on demands are high but with the right averages he is a good signing so clubs give him the money. 

Then at the end of the year everything is for sale. So for example a rider does 30 meetings per league per season. Very good bike with all the right bits costs 10k. If and its a big if a complete bike can be sold for 3k at the end of the year a rider has done well. Thats a 14k loss over 8 months that he is trying to find out of fees and points money before he has even started. I cannot believe that 1 bike cannot complete 120 races before being passed it, thats only 2 hours old!

Riders need to look at maintenance of machinery not immediate replacements, A bike should be able to easily do 2 seasons and in reality many would last far beyond that. 

And don't forget he then doesn't work for 4 and a half months of the year... I remember a few years back when Jeremy Doncaster made his comeback and he said he was using an engine he found in his shed! He didn't do too badly on it either!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, iainb said:

And don't forget he then doesn't work for 4 and a half months of the year... I remember a few years back when Jeremy Doncaster made his comeback and he said he was using an engine he found in his shed! He didn't do too badly on it either!

Donkey is an absolute legend - he couldve pulled out his lawnmower from his shed and won races :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I love watching Chris Harris ride but he is so far off the mark with his opinions it is unreal.

So Chris wasn't too good at school and needs to ride for two teams at least to make ends meet. Sorry Chris, but can you explain how this is possible on 500-800 fans paying to get in?

It seems a large proportion of everyone else in the sport want the doubling up system to end so that the sport can try and regain a bit of identity and credibility thereby attracting new fans and keeping the few that we have but Chris is happy for the sport to be run into the ground as people keep drifting away. I don't think that doubling up is the only issue as to why speedway is struggling but it's certainly one of the main ones and Chris needs to realise that the sport as a whole has got to come first, not the needs of a few riders who do not have the capability or willingness to do something else.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, tigerowl said:

I love watching Chris Harris ride but he is so far off the mark with his opinions it is unreal.

So Chris wasn't too good at school and needs to ride for two teams at least to make ends meet. Sorry Chris, but can you explain how this is possible on 500-800 fans paying to get in?

It seems a large proportion of everyone else in the sport want the doubling up system to end so that the sport can try and regain a bit of identity and credibility thereby attracting new fans and keeping the few that we have but Chris is happy for the sport to be run into the ground as people keep drifting away. I don't think that doubling up is the only issue as to why speedway is struggling but it's certainly one of the main ones and Chris needs to realise that the sport as a whole has got to come first, not the needs of a few riders who do not have the capability or willingness to do something else.

Who wants doubling up to end? The fans maybe, but I can't believe that riders (who earn more money) or clubs (who save on costs) would want it to end.

• Like 1

Just now, MattK said:

Who wants doubling up to end? The fans maybe, but I can't believe that riders (who earn more money) or clubs (who save on costs) would want it to end.

Maybe if there was one big league with more meetings the riders wouldn't need to double up make enough meetings to make it pay.

• Like 2

The problem is that the sport is run by those operating in the "now". They have no incentive to make is sustainable in 10 years time as most will have bowed out by then (although who they will sell the ailing clubs to remains to be seen).

Chris Harris is the last person who's opinion should count, if a rider who has competed at the top level in the UK for 10+ years cannot make it pay without doubling up/down then we are in a very sorry state. Bomber has a few years left max so is obviously out for his own interests and to grab as much cash as he can before he is kicked off the gravy train. 

If the sport is to move forward it will need to allow the semi-pro's time to develop before deciding if they can commit to speedway full time or not (and by full time i mean race UK & abroad not 100+ UK meetings) as at present far too many talented riders are falling between the cracks purely down to lack of finances.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, magnificentseven said:

Maybe if there was one big league with more meetings the riders wouldn't need to double up make enough meetings to make it pay.

One big league wouldn't deliver anywhere near the number of meetings that doubling-up currently does.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MattK said:

One big league wouldn't deliver anywhere near the number of meetings that doubling-up currently does.

no but top riders would be spread more widely therefore meeting less often so scoring more points and earning more ££

30 minutes ago, ch958 said:

no but top riders would be spread more widely therefore meeting less often so scoring more points and earning more ££

Didn't work in the shakeout in the mid90's and highly unlikely to work in 2019. Teams would hang on to say two top hitters to deny one of them going to the lesser teams. Look how the 2 over 8 rule was 'accepted' by some PL teams.

3 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Didn't work in the shakeout in the mid90's and highly unlikely to work in 2019. Teams would hang on to say two top hitters to deny one of them going to the lesser teams. Look how the 2 over 8 rule was 'accepted' by some PL teams.

...and prior to that when Hackney 'moved up' Oxford were the only team to offer them a quality rider in the way of 'Wiggy' and the 'Cheethas' paid the price that season.

One thing for sure if history repeats itself and there is one big league the fans wont want it after about 3 weeks .Just like fixed race nights .

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, orion said:

One thing for sure if history repeats itself and there is one big league the fans wont want it after about 3 weeks .Just like fixed race nights .

Remember double points, the reason that fans stayed away in their droves?

Double points scrapped, no one blinks an eye.