British Speedway Forum

16 minutes ago, Davet said:

But most of the tracks have been the same shape for years and there have been no complaints

Yes there have.  Crowds have been crap for years - Sky money has been bailing the sport out.

Most races at most tracks are over by the back straight, if not the first bend. 

There is next to no racing - the reason for this is that most tracks are not conducive to proper racing/passing due to their size, shape, preparation, etc.

In short, it's boring that's why nobody goes.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, dhr said:

Exactly, my point is I raced because I wanted to, because I wanted to prove something to myself, not because I was going to earn millions. I am better off not racing, but is life as good? Hell no. 

You didn't answer how many days work to get that 8 grand!

1 minute ago, Stoke Potter said:

You didn't answer how many days work to get that 8 grand!

Probably average 2 meetings a week so that’s £900 per week and like I said not bad wages, BUT if you read my first post I am willing to work 8 months of the year, the days where riders can live off speedway are gone atm. So if you divide that 8k by 52 weeks that’s £152 per week, can you live on that? I can’t and I don’t expect to and that’s why I drive lorries 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, dhr said:

I’ll tell you exactly what I was on if it is of such importance, it’s no secret, £60 per point, 15pence per mile and £1000 sign on fee which was split into two parts, now I don’t know exactly the amount of points I scored so let’s say 300 max and I’m being nice to myself  300 x 60=£18000, great wages, Now let’s take out the 10k it cost me to race so that’s 8k from April until mid August, not bad but not great wages BUT I have a job, I don’t expect speedway to pay 24/7 anymore, anyone who thinks that the majority of speedway riders are earning loads are deluded. Now please, don’t get me misconstrued I get that riders cannot demand what isn’t there but please, please don’t think riders are on mega bucks because it simply isn’t true

So why attach this to my post, If you read the thread, I made no suggestions as to earnings? Anyway your clarity should remove any speculation.

1 minute ago, foamfence said:

So why attach this to my post, If you read the thread, I made no suggestions as to earnings? Anyway your clarity should remove any speculation.

I mean no offence to you but you said I still gave up my job hinting that we earn loads, apologies for any offence at all as it wasn’t meant or implied 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, montie said:

you mention clubs reducing cost yet then seem to suggest a pay structure that would increase cost

there are very few riders in the Championship of £80/point now

sadly that level of payment would take 50% of the clubs out the league and bust the rest within 6 months  its basic ecconomics

The bellow from David Howe

16 minutes ago, dhr said:

Probably average 2 meetings a week so that’s £900 per week and like I said not bad wages, BUT if you read my first post I am willing to work 8 months of the year, the days where riders can live off speedway are gone atm. So if you divide that 8k by 52 weeks that’s £152 per week, can you live on that? I can’t and I don’t expect to and that’s why I drive lorries 

With his average at 5.91 and earning around £900 2 meetings a week that's very close to £80. £76.14pp in fact. 

So if Howe is earning near that (no disrespect intended to you David as hope you understand), what the hell are the likes of Cook, Harris, Schlein, King etc earning from the 2nd tier???

IMO if every rider had a maximum wage of £80pp, Championship clubs would save, and save a lot with the rider's mentioned wouldn't go anywhere near the Championship at £80pp as David says, the costs outway the income and for me, at Championship level, that's exactly the way it should be. 

41 minutes ago, dhr said:

Good on you for doing it, that's exactly how most Speedway riders should be in this country.

If Speedway was year round that's damn good earnings for what amounts to part-time work, albeit with massive personal risk.

12 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

With his average at 5.91 and earning around £900 2 meetings a week that's very close to £80. £76.14pp in fact. 

So if Howe is earning near that (no disrespect intended to you David as hope you understand), what the hell are the likes of Cook, Harris, Schlein, King etc earning from the 2nd tier???

IMO if every rider had a maximum wage of £80pp, Championship clubs would save, and save a lot with the rider's mentioned wouldn't go anywhere near the Championship at £80pp as David says, the costs outway the income and for me, at Championship level, that's exactly the way it should be. 

If you put that £80pp cap in place then quite probably even those you list wouldnt be taking a huge cut

David isnt the only one Ive heard say they are earning the same or less per point than 10 years ago

21 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

I also said that I said that was over 300 points and I doubt very much i scored that many points, I’m quite sure someone on here will figure out exactly what I scored 

35 minutes ago, dhr said:

I also said that I said that was over 300 points and I doubt very much i scored that many points, I’m quite sure someone on here will figure out exactly what I scored 

From BSPA site

26 Berwick meetings in 2018 scoring 162 points plus 21 bonus points

Harris comments are Laughable,we need to keep him earning as he wasn’t very bright,and has no other way of earning a living.Aye Right Chris.

Fair play to David Howe for revealing his points money,but as others have said what kind of money are most of the Champoinship riders are on,judging on crowd levels at most tracks it’s easy to see why most are in financial difficulty.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, MattK said:

Who wants doubling up to end? The fans maybe, but I can't believe that riders (who earn more money) or clubs (who save on costs) would want it to end.

Just the most important people then....

Chris Harris' comments this week absolutely epitomise how far removed from reality most riders are - their selfish approach is a huge factor in the mess UK speedway finds itself in.

I am one of the long-term fans who has been disillusioned by so many things (particularly the way the sport is run for everyone but the fans) that I'm not sure I have anything vaguely resembling enthusiasm to give a toss if/when they are fixed.

• Like 8

Will Buster remain as Chairman at the AGM, I thought I seen he would do it for 3 years, If he does resign who should be the new One.   

6 hours ago, orion said:

Yea look how many fans  getting rid of double points brought back lol .Remember when people said they knew people that  had left because of that one reason .another speedway  myth gone.

I wondered why The White Knight had disappeared. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1