British Speedway Forum

2 hours ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Would only work if costs were cut dramatically.

The 'one big league' was a failure because the economic circumstances between tracks were so different, and whilst the reluctance of some teams to release No.1 standard riders didn't help, I think more than few tracks couldn't afford them anyway. That experiment caused several tracks to drop out, and it was only the advent of the 'Conference League' that allowed them to keep running.

You're always going to need some sort of two-tier setup however you structure it.

well they could be forced if the dog was wagging the tail and not the reverse. You would simply be allowed only 1 rider over a certain average, thereby sharing out the talent.

Its never that easy of course but .....

7 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

The only way to bring equipment standards to a more acceptable level, and encouraging future rider's is to force a wage drop. If Chris Harris believes he can't earn enough on £100 a point he'll have to quite or buy cheaper equipment. It's that simple.

I have said this before but when riding for Coventry ~ which covers a number of years ~ Chris used to spend months trying to get the right set ups on his machines at the beginning of the season and then by July he would be flying until the end of the season.  So why was it necessary to then get rid of these and start again the next season on new equipment , which meant another frustrating session of trying to get the right set-ups. Seems a crazy waste of money to me. 

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, ch958 said:

well they could be forced if the dog was wagging the tail and not the reverse. You would simply be allowed only 1 rider over a certain average, thereby sharing out the talent.

Its never that easy of course but .....

In a way that causes another problem though.Say one or two teams produce their own talent and are forced year after year to release one of their own good youngsters.The promoter and fans are p’d off with that situation.....

The sport has got itself in such a situation where sorting one problem generally only starts another

Edited by iris123
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Trees said:

Interesting that Poland are working on standardising engines, I guess British promoters know this? 

British promoters pioneered it! The Poles are working with Marcel Gerhardt so the project isn't dead yet.

35 minutes ago, iris123 said:

In a way that causes another problem though.Say one or two teams produce their own talent and are forced year after year to release one of their own good youngsters.The promoter and fans are p’d off with that situation.....

The sport has got itself in such a situation where sorting one problem generally only starts another

There is already hardly any continuity of riders year after year.  Only one rider above a certain average wouldn't create a new problem.

38 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Sounds like rider control;, which is how things used to be

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Byker Biker said:

British promoters pioneered it! The Poles are working with Marcel Gerhardt so the project isn't dead yet.

There is also the jawa with a 2 valve head that was used at a meeting in Torun a few weeks back, they got some of the riders to ride them , lindback was one rider, they perform and react very well with the only noticeable difference being they loose revs of the start line but talking to a rider that rode them he said they were fun to ride, as pig headed as polish speedway seems to the rest of the world they are open to ideas and give them a decent try 

4 minutes ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

There is also the jawa with a 2 valve head that was used at a meeting in Torun a few weeks back, they got some of the riders to ride them , lindback was one rider, they perform and react very well with the only noticeable difference being they loose revs of the start line but talking to a rider that rode them he said they were fun to ride, as pig headed as polish speedway seems to the rest of the world they are open to ideas and give them a decent try 

Could that head go on an existing engine?

Just now, The Third Man said:

Could that head go on an existing engine?

On a jawa yes but no reason why GM couldn’t make a 2 valve head for their engine 

19 hours ago, dhr said:

I also said that I said that was over 300 points and I doubt very much i scored that many points, I’m quite sure someone on here will figure out exactly what I scored 

You should have pointed out that £900 a week includes Points, Starts and Travelling money. Also you should have pointed out how much it costs you to race in two meetings per week. I am sure that once all those things are taken into account and after taxes you can take at least half off of that £900 a week. I have been watching almost all of your career and remember a fresh faced lad who came down to race at Iwade for the fun of it.  You have no need to defend what you earn; how many of the fans here would tell you how much they earn each year?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, The Little Un said:

You should have pointed out that £900 a week includes Points, Starts and Travelling money. Also you should have pointed out how much it costs you to race in two meetings per week. I am sure that once all those things are taken into account and after taxes you can take at least half off of that £900 a week. I have been watching almost all of your career and remember a fresh faced lad who came down to race at Iwade for the fun of it.  You have no need to defend what you earn; how many of the fans here would tell you how much they earn each year?

He did point out those things and the costs were considerably more than half.

• Like 1

Just now, foamfence said:

He did point out those things and the costs were considerably more than half.

I was pretty sure they were.

• Like 1

On 10/23/2018 at 9:00 AM, Grachan said:

And the rest.

Truth is, if people have zero interest in something they aren't even going to go if it's free.

Very true. 

On 11/9/2018 at 7:09 AM, Pirates Of Poole said:

Interesting the final set of averages have not been put up on the BSPA website, normally this is put up the end of October. Is this because plans afoot will mean averages will be changing? 

I looked 2 days ago and assumed they would be there as well. Either waiting for ratification at the AGM or being held back for some other motive in the planning.

1 hour ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

Is the idea that they will be easier to handle Dean?

21 minutes ago, Stoke Potter said:

Is the idea that they will be easier to handle Dean?

Yes but you will also cut the revs as you wouldn’t be able to get the same power and also the obvious thing is 2 less valves, springs and guides so you save £150 straight away 

• Like 4