British Speedway Forum

5 minutes ago, foamfence said:

Well his new car would have covered the cost of his long track excursions for the rest of his career but oh no! He wants the fans to pay for it.

Similar case at Cowley when a well known rider after an engine blow out and whether he was able to replace it...and yet owned a jet ski to play with during his leisure time.

3 hours ago, greyhoundp said:

I also think the product should be altered, one thing that could be considered is Handicap racing, example an 8+ point rider be given a 50 metre handicap, a 7+ rides off 40 metres, 6+ goes of 30 metres, 5+ is off 20 metres, 4+ goes off 10 metres, and the remainder go off scratch

This is definitely the kind of things that should be trialled in a few meetings, such as the KO Cup. See how it works in practice and then make an evidence-based decision.

10 hours ago, foamfence said:

Harris isn't short of money, his wife bought him a brand new Jaguar last month. What you read in Speedway Star is mostly people pushing their own interests no matter what the consequences.

Doesn't she work at JLR (Jaguar-Land Rover), where I guess there's a scheme for employees at a certain level, and family members, to lease (or purchase) new vehicles at very affordable prices, probably changed every six months?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MattK said:

This is definitely the kind of things that should be trialled in a few meetings, such as the KO Cup. See how it works in practice and then make an evidence-based decision.

Handicap racing will never work for the simple reason that the top riders don't want to risk injury by having to pass lower grade riders  and won't accept it. Same reason Briggs,Fundin etc weren't having it over fifty years ago. It's an end of season gimmick that seems to go down well in Wolverhampton much like the Ipswich sixteen lapper.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Midland Red said:

Doesn't she work at JLR (Jaguar-Land Rover), where I guess there's a scheme for employees at a certain level, and family members, to lease (or purchase) new vehicles at very affordable prices, probably changed every six months?

You "guess." Well she did say that she'd bought him it.

6 hours ago, poppetman said:

Handicap racing will never work for the simple reason that the top riders don't want to risk injury by having to pass lower grade riders  and won't accept it. Same reason Briggs,Fundin etc weren't having it over fifty years ago. It's an end of season gimmick that seems to go down well in Wolverhampton much like the Ipswich sixteen lapper.

If it seems to go down well then it should be trialled. As with a multitude of other things it's tough if the riders don't like it, if it works for speedway then they should like it or lump it.

8 hours ago, Midland Red said:

Depends where she works and how long for. If you work in a dealer you do get discounts but it's a 3 year contract. If you have worked for JLR for years ypu get a new one every 6 months at discounted rates however if you're a newbie it's the same deal as a retailer employee. 

1 hour ago, Spl77 said:

Depends where she works and how long for. If you work in a dealer you do get discounts but it's a 3 year contract. If you have worked for JLR for years ypu get a new one every 6 months at discounted rates however if you're a newbie it's the same deal as a retailer employee. 

Not really interested how he spends his earnings ,simply saying his Interview is a PR disaster if he expects people to believe what he says.Self Interest and other people paying for everything seems to be what he would like.He can only ride a speedway bike.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, poppetman said:

Well we all risk injury every time we cross the road or get into our Car, this is a Sport that has risks, of course H&S is there to reduce/prevent risks, but goodness me the nature of the Sport is very risky in the first place, maybe we should be looking at having Speedway bikes with brakes, then riders could brake when they are close to a lower grade rider ;). The whole Sport is in crisis the number of clubs up for sale tells you that, Its simply no use now carrying on with the same old format that has failed to bring in new supporters over a number of years, we have to look at ways to get new people through the gate, Yes most of us on here are the older brigade, I myself go back to 1962 :D.

Is anything new thats suggested now being classed as a gimmick ?,  I would even look to take it a stage further in the years to come. There needs to be a way to get Bookmakers more involved in the Sport but to do this it perhaps needs 6 man handicap races, now whether or not this would be viable in the years ahead i am not so sure, the tracks may not be built for this to be viable, the angle i am coming from is Tracks could run a Totalisator on races similar to Greyhound meetings ie Forecasts, Tricasts, and reverse Forecasts, Tricasts, Greyhound Tracks take a big percentage of the on course pools allegedly up to 30% of the total on course pool, then there is the Jackpot, whereby you have to name the winner of a number of races, in Speedway this could be name the winner of the 13/15 races, this pool roles over meeting by meeting until its won. If this took off the Bookmakers could begin to take a serious interest in Speedway, and that would mean money into the Sport, and provide to be a lifeline it desperately needs. As an example greyhound racing streamed into Betting shops brings in thousands of pounds for every meeting on the streaming service allegedly upwards of 10k per meeting, and as Bookmakers they do sponsor greyhound races throughout the year.. 

I will sit back now and wait for the abuse, but im just trying to think of things outside the box.. :D.

1 minute ago, greyhoundp said:

Well we all risk injury every time we cross the road or get into our Car, this is a Sport that has risks, of course H&S is there to reduce/prevent risks, but goodness me the nature of the Sport is very risky in the first place, maybe we should be looking at having Speedway bikes with brakes, then riders could brake when they are close to a lower grade rider ;). The whole Sport is in crisis the number of clubs up for sale tells you that, Its simply no use now carrying on with the same old format that has failed to bring in new supporters over a number of years, we have to look at ways to get new people through the gate, Yes most of us on here are the older brigade, I myself go back to 1962 :D.

Is anything new thats suggested now being classed as a gimmick ?,  I would even look to take it a stage further in the years to come. There needs to be a way to get Bookmakers more involved in the Sport but to do this it perhaps needs 6 man handicap races, now whether or not this would be viable in the years ahead i am not so sure, the tracks may not be built for this to be viable, the angle i am coming from is Tracks could run a Totalisator on races similar to Greyhound meetings ie Forecasts, Tricasts, and reverse Forecasts, Tricasts, Greyhound Tracks take a big percentage of the on course pools allegedly up to 30% of the total on course pool, then there is the Jackpot, whereby you have to name the winner of a number of races, in Speedway this could be name the winner of the 13/15 races, this pool roles over meeting by meeting until its won. If this took off the Bookmakers could begin to take a serious interest in Speedway, and that would mean money into the Sport, and provide to be a lifeline it desperately needs. As an example greyhound racing streamed into Betting shops brings in thousands of pounds for every meeting on the streaming service allegedly upwards of 10k per meeting, and as Bookmakers they do sponsor greyhound races throughout the year.. 

I will sit back now and wait for the abuse, but im just trying to think of things outside the box.. :D.

Not sure about brakes on bikes. When I attended one of Olle Nygren's Training Schools many years ago now he explained why brakes were not a feature...actually their absence was a safety feature because the last thing you wanted when entering the bend closely behind someone was that person to apply the brakes! It was all about throttle control back then which determined the speed and volatility of the bike.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, poppetman said:

Don't think the heatleaders worry about injuries at all. Their concerns will only be about finances. To put themselves week in week out through handicap racing they'll demand a higher per point wage or larger signing on / guarantee payment simply because they're certain of less money.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, greyhoundp said:

Yup........and at least we can be assured (because speedway is such an honest, up front game) that there would be absolutely no chance of race fixing........LOL

• Like 4

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

Not sure about brakes on bikes. When I attended one of Olle Nygren's Training Schools many years ago now he explained why brakes were not a feature...actually their absence was a safety feature because the last thing you wanted when entering the bend closely behind someone was that person to apply the brakes! 

Okay with warning  stop lights then like on a car.  Solved. :D

• Like 1

10 hours ago, poppetman said:

Handicap racing would never work in official meetings as it would lead to a levelling out of averages

• Like 1