British Speedway Forum

My understanding is that only 12 promoters turned up so guests were brought in from the Polish League.

But most of them were late getting up so were excluded under the 2 minute rule.

Rider Replacement was then applied which resulted in Matt Ford getting additional votes

A number of promoters were excluded for having a different opinion to Matt Ford

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

5 hours ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

Can never understand the powers that be who run the sport.

Many have said we are at a watershed moment in the sport and this could be one of the most important AGM's in determining which way the sport goes in UK. I find it incredible that the SGB site is only  too keen to mention it has doubled its Twitter followers and that its only ??? until the sport returns in March yet NOTHING mentioned about this very important AGM starting today.

One would have thought in the very least they should be all over twitter mentioning one of the most important AGM's ever to have taken place in the sport was kicking off today. Also making most of social media to say they would update twitter/facebook immediately news flowed out of the AGM as to whom may be continuing in the sport in 2019 and informing us the poor mushrooms that we would be kept updated as to any news as it happens on any changes to league format/team points limits and anything else that would keep fans regualary checking the site for updates.

Maybe it just shows the ignorance of the BSPA that they choose to keep all in the dark even to the degree of not even mentioning arguably the most important AGM in the sports recent history. Like do they think that thousands would be descending upon Chepstow in protest or to try and influence the meeting ??

To me it would make sense to keep fans informed in order that general interest can be kept throughout the 3 day meeting process. Yes we can wait until its all done and dusted and get one big version but that's hardly utilising modern media to its full potential.

Incredible to think that POL transfer window closes in 2 days and Sweden almost completed their teams, yet we sit hear with nothing but news about clubs closing or promoters looking to sell up or clubs needing major cash injections if they a re to continue in 2019.

The SCB is not invited to the  AGM as it is for the BSPA to decide the future formats of speedway, so why should you be looking for anything on the SCB twitter. 

Every year a press statement is prepared as they leave the AGM for the Present Officer to write up, and issue it usually the morning afterwards. The main points are included and smaller items immerse in the period afterwards possibly having been presented to the SCB for scrutiny and comments. It's only in people's twisted minds that it's a mushroom situation, but if you feel neglected so be it.

Many times something is agreed but on reflection, when other decisions are later made, the original decision needs to be amended. If they did what you expect, you and others would be on their backs saying something like "why didn't they wait till the end and publish the findings in full' and not very professional. Can't win really, hence the reason trying to get it right is more important than feeding the crocodiles looking in and ready to attack. 

• Like 7

Is the Conference 3 days finishing on Wednesday?

2 minutes ago, Bunce said:

Is the Conference 3 days finishing on Wednesday?

Yes.

4 hours ago, The Cheese said:

Exclusive picture from this incident:

alabama-daily-life.jpg

I believe the lady on the left is the new chairwoman of the BSPA

Looks to me like the first big decision's been made. Riders will not be allowed to use their footrests when taking bends.

I find it a bit strange that some are hoping for a running commentary from the AGM

Until the end nothing is decided/confirmed and even then may require some tweaking in hindsight

I do just hope though that all of that is in place before the season starts this time. It is the supplementairies that are most damaging IMO

• Like 3

Has anyone else noticed the number of comments being deleted from the Speedway GB Facebook page? Running scared me thinks and obviously can't handle the negative posts and sensible suggestions being made by the paying public.

Us the public all want something different. Some 2 leagues some 3, double ups and non double ups, frn and ride when you want.

What hope do they have really. Whatever they do they will be lambasted. 

Listen to the fans. The fans are as divided as they are on brexit.

Presentation and race night experience then yes listen to us but in terms of structure and team building plans then they are the ones putting their money’s whete their mouths are for now. Until there is a independant governance for us to lynch because we alllike to have a moan.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Danny Connor said:

Us the public all want something different. Some 2 leagues some 3, double ups and non double ups, frn and ride when you want.

Presentation and race night experience then yes listen to us but in terms of structure and team building plans then they are the ones putting their money’s whete their mouths are for now. Until there is a independant governance for us to lynch because we alllike to have a moan.

Spectators also pay, often up front with season tickets that actually don't gain much. There is plenty to 'moan' about, if you've witnessed the sports decline over the last 70yrs (I'm an old git).

32 minutes ago, Danny Connor said:

Yes it may be their money, but look where that has got them.  I am in no doubt the dire situation the sport is in is totally down to the rules and decisions made by the BSPA.  Decisions governed   by personal agendas.    They have this one last chance to make a new start  and rise from the ashes,  but quite honestly I don't have any confidence in them doing much to change it...  

• Like 3

9 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

I find it a bit strange that some are hoping for a running commentary from the AGM

Until the end nothing is decided/confirmed and even then may require some tweaking in hindsight

I do just hope though that all of that is in place before the season starts this time. It is the supplementairies that are most damaging IMO

Sounds rather like the Brexit discussions to me!!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, g13webb said:

Yes it may be their money, but look where that has got them.  I am in no doubt the dire situation the sport is in is totally down to the rules and decisions made by the BSPA.  Decisions governed   by personal agendas.    They have this one last chance to make a new start  and rise from the ashes,  but quite honestly I don't have any confidence in them doing much to change it...  

The point was whatever they do many will disapprove. I get your point about the guys who run it but without those promoters we wouldn’t have a sport. We all have ideals. But when many of our ideals are different. And when you look across the forum they are. When people then say listen to the fans it’s daft because we all contradict each other.

there are things many of us agree with. Slick neat presentation with plenty of information, things to keep us occupied, less tractor time, better tannoys, transponders and consistent decisions from refs and most importantly better promotion of the sport but these aren’t major overhauls

everything else though the fans disagree on. 

• Like 3

No question money is a factor as it has been for at least 50 years. And although an independent chair to take the sport forward in the way others have done with darts and snooker would be ideal, the promoters are just not going to give up the control. Just sad that so many short sighted decisions have been taken to look at the sport on a year by year basis, rather than having a serious focus on increasing the income into the sport rather than the continual cutting of costs. The sport has been on a long downward spiral because of that approach and is crying out for a root and branch review and the introduction of a figurehead with some cash to promote the sport and bring in more fans and TV money. The only saving grace is that the sport itself remains a great spectacle.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, DJWolves said:

No question money is a factor as it has been for at least 50 years. And although an independent chair to take the sport forward in the way others have done with darts and snooker would be ideal, the promoters are just not going to give up the control. Just sad that so many short sighted decisions have been taken to look at the sport on a year by year basis, rather than having a serious focus on increasing the income into the sport rather than the continual cutting of costs. The sport has been on a long downward spiral because of that approach and is crying out for a root and branch review and the introduction of a figurehead with some cash to promote the sport and bring in more fans and TV money. The only saving grace is that the sport itself remains a great spectacle.

It was the promoters from years ago when the sport was making loads of money who maybe should have invested in the future, now the promoters are having trouble just keeping their heads afloat. That's why they make short term decisions, to keep in business for another year, I'm glad I'm not in their shoes, most of the fans on here think they have all the answers but need to put their money where their mouths are, plenty of clubs to take over now, do it and sort the sport out!! 

• Like 3